Need help with Dlink and encryption issues

edited April 2004 in Science & Tech
Ok here is my problem.

I recently bought a new laptop from dell and I love it. After ordering it, I purchased a Dlink Di-624 router and a DWL-G650 pc card for the laptop. After a phone convertaion with the tech guy, I thought Ide poll all of you techies. My main problem is that when my lap. either hibernates or is restarted, it loses the encryption key and then I get the pop up box that my connection is not encrypted. How do I get my lap. to hold the key? Im lost about now because it will still run on the router even though it says that it need a key and is running in 64 bit encryption. Could my router be bad? I can connect to other peoples network connections in the neighborhood (there is about three around the block.) Im concerned because I do alot of data sensitive work on my lap. and I would like to be protected. Since I can load up to my connection with out the correct key, can't anyone thats within my "zone" radius of broadcast out of my router?
I don't really understand alot of this wireless stuff, but I have learded alot with my new setup. I just need the job finished up and to get it running correctly. Anyone with any info on this subject matter please help me.

Corey

Comments

• verselloversello New
    edited April 2004
    Sounds to me that your router may either:

1) Need a firmware update to possibly fix your WEP key resetting

or

2) The router may be defective

Also to be on the safeside, make sure your wireless network's name (SSID) isn't the default name... like... dlink.

Which ever action you take, you may want to bump up your encryption to 128-bit and, if supported, use WPA instead of WEP.

You're correct tho, if your wireless network isn't encrypted, anyone can log into your network.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2004
    Sounds like WEP isn't actually installed on your router and it's just on your PC. Doulbe check that you have WEP enabled and have a key set on your router.

Also there are other things you can do to stop others from sniffing. First change the ESID to a non-standard. Next make sure that it's not broadcasting the ESID. Next if your router is dhcp either turn off dhcp and set it to static or set it to only allow 1 dhcp connection.

You could also turn logging on but that will log everything so not just connections so there can be a tonne of info to go through there. But if you are paranoid it's a great way to find out.
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited April 2004
    This router supports MAC address filtering right? Would it be ok to use that instead of encryption altogether?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2004
    That's another option, though a talented hacker can still spoof a mac address easier then a working WEP encryption.