CD-RW and DVD-ROM detected as SCSI

edited May 2004 in Hardware
I went to use my Yamaha CR-RW and kept getting 'SCSI command aborted' errors. It has previously worked fine and I don't have any SCSI hardware on my machine. The DVD and CRDW are both on the same IDE channel and work normally otherwise. I run Win XP home on this machine and the MB has the latest BIOS (2.4 IIRC). On another machine (with a very similar setup but using an Asus 87NX8-deluxe) running XP-pro the same Sony DVD and a Sony DVD-RW IDE drives are detected as normal and work fine.

In device manager the description is 'YAMAHA CRW-F1E SCSI CdRom Device'. I've tried removing them and letting XP re-detect them with the same result. I'm using the latest update of Nero 6.

Blode

Abit NF7-S, XP 2500+, 512MB PC2700, Sony DDU1621 DVD ROM, Yamaha CDR-F1E r/writer, IBM/Hitachi 80GB IDE HDD, SB Audigy (PCI), ADSL PCI modem, Zalman flower HSF.

Comments

• DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited May 2004
    the only time Windows detected my CD-RW/DVD drives was when I had them on my Promise ATA 100 IDE Card. Don't know what else would cause this... *shrugs*
  • edited May 2004
    Sounds like the trusty Yamaha has bit the dust, try it in another system and see if it persists in giving errors. If the other system shows it as scsi or detects it properly but it won't work then you know it's time for a new drive.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd
    agrees with madmat
    Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    agrees with madmat
  • edited May 2004
    madmat wrote:
    Sounds like the trusty Yamaha has bit the dust, try it in another system and see if it persists in giving errors. If the other system shows it as scsi or detects it properly but it won't work then you know it's time for a new drive.

Hmm. That doesn't account for the Sony DVD drive also being recognised as SCSI as well. The chances that both died at the same time is tiny - besides they both function normally as DVD and CD respectively.

I'll swop out when I get the time (I have a spare Yamaha CRW-3200) but given the above I am more inclined to think it's some sort of IDE detection or driver problem.

Blode
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    It's quite strange. But this- http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2003/2003120103.htm might solve your problem.
  • edited May 2004
    wrote:
    Interesting workround - I'll try it when I get home this afternoon. I'd still like to find why it happened in the first place, though.

Regarding Serillelle, I gave up using it with HDDs because it works with some but not others - I never got to the bottom of that problem so I gave up and went back to IDE.

blode
  • edited May 2004
    Ok then try uninstalling the NF7-S IDE driver software (ForceWare?) and reinstalling either a later version or earlier version because my NF-2 Shuttle cube had a similar problem and the new drivers cured it (and the fact that I didn't remove the old ones before I installed another set helped to complicate matters as well) so I had to uninstall the new ones, re-install the old ones, uninstall the old ones and install the newest ones from Shuttle and my drives all read as what they were, IDE.
  • edited May 2004
    madmat wrote:
    Ok then try uninstalling the NF7-S IDE driver software (ForceWare?) and reinstalling either a later version or earlier version [snip].

YAY! I went into system/device mgr/IDE controller and the only entry was: 'NVidia(R) nforce(TM) IDE controller'. I clicked 'update driver' and it went away and did it - no problem. Restarted and both drives are back as they should be. I've burnt a disc and all is back to normal.

Many thanks for the advice. :cool:

blode
  • edited May 2004
    Glad to have been of service. It's good to know all is as it should be once again.