Forum upgrade & antispam

AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Community
I implemented a antispam system and upgraded the forums to the latest version. Please let me know if you all find any issues with it.

Comments

• AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I did reset a lot of templates btw, gonna be re implementing hot threads, etc over the next few days (Bengals game tonight though baby :) Whodey!)
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited December 2006
    Could you elaborate on the anti-spam used?
    edited December 2006
    Ok the way that our antispam works is through www.akismet.com

There are now 2 usergroups, members and members upgraded. When you register you are put into the members group and all your posts are scanned by akismet. If akismet thinks it is spam them it is put in a moderation queue until a mod approves or deletes it. Once you get 5 legitimate posts you are upgraded to members upgraded and your posts are no longer scanned.

-Aranyic
    edited December 2006
    VERY cool :). Which version from their site works with vbulletin? I used to run a hiking forum, and maybe as a parting gift (recently sold it) I can hook up the owners with this nifty tool :) .

I see there's php libraries...
    edited December 2006
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118421&highlight=akismet there ya go.

You actually just install it from the plugins area of the admin panel
  • edited December 2006
    That does sound pretty cool. There are a lot of very odd posts in the off topic forum which look like spam but don't contain any links (yet) makes you wonder who these people are and what their agenda is.
    edited December 2006
    Awesome, I forwarded the zipped file and a link to vbulletin.org for them. :)