AMD to demo <i>Barcelona</i> today

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Science & Tech
Using demo racks from Tyan, Uniwide and Supermicro, active <i>Barcelona</i> systems will begin running today and throughout the rest of the expo. Another fun announcement comes in the form of AMD's assurance that the <i>Barcelona</i>-based silicon in sockets F and AM2/AM2+ will fit in today's motherboards employing those sockets. Good news, no doubt.

For a more thorough read and a little insight into AMD's hope for their new chip, please direct your clickers to C|Net.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    They are very pretty CPU's... I promise.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Would you say it's worth waiting for those chips instead of upgrading to Core 2 Duo (currently have AM2 setup)?
    edited June 2007
    Um.. I would say Yes! but than again I would wait for bechies no matter what :)

Desktop variants will not see the market until late 2007 or early 2008
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited June 2007
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Would you say it's worth waiting for those chips instead of upgrading to Core 2 Duo (currently have AM2 setup)?

If you are willing to pay for it- probably. Personally, if I had the money, I'd wait a couple of more weeks after its out so some third party reviews can be done and some of the initial price premiums have dropped.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'd wait until Penryn v. Barcelona benchies are released. It's going to be a knock-down, drag-out, quad core slugfest.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I'd wait until Penryn v. Barcelona benchies are released. It's going to be a knock-down, drag-out, quad core slugfest.
    I'd have to wait how long?
    edited June 2007
    Mm.. Probably august.
    edited June 2007
    Quad core going to work on my current setup? Board is a MSI K9N Neo.
    edited June 2007
    Very probable.
    edited June 2007
    but you won't get to use all the cool new featres built onto the chip...
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    but you won't get to use all the cool new featres built onto the chip...
    but AMD and its partners are hoping to encourage new system purchases with something called "dual dynamic power management." This essentially allows the cores to operate at a lower voltage while the memory controller is uploading data onto the chip. It also works in reverse, restricting voltage required by the memory controller while the cores are processing data.

Users will need a new motherboard to take advantage of that feature, Demski said. AMD hasn't calculated the power savings yet, but users can expect a 3 percent to 10 percent performance improvement from the dual power management scheme ...

While nice- if I already have a board, I don't find this compelling enough to spend the extra few bills.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    What's the deal here?
    AnandTech wrote:
    If reports out of Taiwan are to be believed, initial performance results from AMD's Barcelona fail to impress and we've got at least a quarter before the race can even potentially get competitive.

Are Barcelonas cool or not?
    edited June 2007
    What's the deal here?

Are Barcelonas cool or not?

Uh, the review your link referenced were BE-23xx series CPUs with 2x512KB cache (Brisbanes, I think)-they aren't the Barcelona. Yes?
    edited June 2007
    Correct, but the article stated that the Barcelonas aren't as good as they could be, just like these BE-23xx chips, but can be competitive based on price.

segue to article.
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Correct, but the article stated that the Barcelonas aren't as good as they could be, just like these BE-23xx chips, but can be competitive based on price.

segue to article.

Thanks, T. Sorry- I couldn't make that reach.

(I don't think I've ever been blasted by so many Intel ads before either :) )