Team name straw poll

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Folding@Home
I'd like to take a straw poll here and see what people think. :)

I've made this a public poll, meaning everyone can see who voted for what. I did this to make it transparent and so we can see who hasn't chimed in. I'll leave it open at least until the LAN starts (one week).

I didn't create this with the intention of the results being binding, but I think it would help everyone to get a clearer picture of what people think. :)

I made the third option vague so it wouldn't dilute votes. I imagine it would entail another set of discussions and round of voting, but that's outside my purview.

To clarify two points: Team names do not need to be unique, and we can change our team's name without Stanford's permission. I've researched this and sorted it out with TBonZ, Dr. Pande, Bruce (community forum admin), and Del Lucent of Pandegroup. We can actually login to Stanford with our team info for the first time since (probably) 2002. Thanks to them for their help!

Comments

• RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited June 2007
    I chose Team S-M because I feel we need to at least pay a little homage to S-M. Prime, MM, Shorty, Keebs, Kwitco (still sounds like a place to get a Slurpee :bigggrin:), Prof, and anyone else I might have missed, did an amazing job keeping S-M a quality place to hang out on the web. If is wasn't for their hard work and tenacity under the S-M banner, the new Icrontic could have not risen from the ashes.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Whichever name we use perhaps the #93 needs to be in front of it.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2007
    To me, it matters very little. Team Icrontic is less confusing to any new members, but Team SM has that warm familiar fuzzy feeling :) Either way, its all good :)
  • edited June 2007
    How about "Team 93"

That pays homage to both the original Icrontic forums and also Short Media too, which Team 93 moved to after the hack job.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    How about "Team 93"
    That could be a contender if people want to go with the third option :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I kinda like Team 93. Good suggestion, mudd!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2007
    I concur with mudd also. Excellent "neutral" Team name.:thumbsup:
    edited June 2007
    To me, the core function of the team name is to tell people where to find us and promote the site to people looking at the stats. We're already "Team 93" regardless, so why be redundant?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    Please not team 93!! it will just leave the door wide open for Nomad to ask the dumbass question "whats the team number dudes"
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Team 93 is not a good name, that's my personal opinion.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'm okay with Icrontic or Short-Media, but I think something like "Icrontic - Reborn," would be cool. People can still fold for the other Icrontic team (#33693) if they so desire, and a name like that would help differentiate the two.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Team Penismightier. That's Pen is Mightier, you gutter dwelling sickos.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Team #93 or Team Icrontic. Either is fine. Realize... I love Short-Media and will never forget the name. And it is just a name. Everyone here is the same, just the URL is different. I see SM & IC as one entity.
    • Naming it Team Icrontic is fine since it's less confusing for new members.
    • Team #93 is doubly redundant... But it's safe and unchanging....
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I was trying to figure out if I-SM-I spelled anything, since that has been the historical progression.
    Just nothing cute. No 'new' or 're-anything'.

I haven't looked at the stats. Where would our production be if we were all one team? Would we be able to catch anyone?
    edited June 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    I was trying to figure out if I-SM-I spelled anything, since that has been the historical progression.

I haven't looked at the stats. Where would our production be if we were all one team? Would we be able to catch anyone?
    Icrontic are on less than 700PPD at the moment so I doubt it :sad2:
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    edcentric wrote:

Yea, the team died with the site... for the most part.:o

How about "The New Icrontic"? or something about "new"
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2007
    Team Nine Three

Team Determination

Team Overachievers

Team Adversity Overcome

Team Shorontic . . . OK, maybe not that one.
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2007
    I vote for Team Icrontic, I think it's a good idea to keep everything consistent.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I see SM & IC as one entity.

There is another name right here.........TEAM SMIC.;D
    just kidding.:)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    All the same to me:

Team Icrontic: it's a rich history, our origins, and our first Folding team (#93)
    Team Short-Media: our biggest growth

What is most important to me is what the rank and file team members want. They are the folks that make the site and the team.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2007
    I joined Short-Media and had no idea what or where Icrontic was until facts about it's demise and now the resurrection. Yes - a major effort for Mr General and Prime, MM, Shorty, Kwitco and all the rest for keeping the original going and all the effort rebuilding. :respect: I kind of like Short-Media Reloaded: Icrontic :cool: Well - That's too long but. Hay :D I like it. Jack
    edited June 2007
    It's all good got My vote, whatever you guys decide is good enough for me I am just a tourista here.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    To me, the core function of the team name is to tell people where to find us and promote the site to people looking at the stats.
    So, it's nothing more than an advertising gimmick?
    We're already "Team 93" regardless, so why be redundant?
    There already is a team name using "Icrontic" in the title, so why be redundant?
    edited June 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    There already is a team name using "Icrontic" in the title, so why be redundant?
    I see what you did there, but it didn't make sense. The reasons for not changing team numbers are self-evident. 33693's name is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion. :)
    profdlp wrote:
    What team isn't promoting something? You don't form a team just to promote Folding@Home - you're not required to enter a team number. You form a team because you're a subset of people running Folding@Home that have something in common. What we have in common is this website and the community here. Why else have a team? :)
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Keebler wrote:
    What team isn't promoting something? You don't form a team just to promote Folding@Home - you're not required to enter a team number. You form a team because you're a subset of people running Folding@Home that have something in common. What we have in common is this website and the community here. Why else have a team? :)

These are both strong arguments.
    The Folding@home T- shirts that were made have a huge 93 splashed in red on the back and not a whisper of the name Short-Media. The shirts were proposed at a time when folding fever was at a high and SMX rigs were going out faster that you could count em.
    In my short tenure here, that for me was the time Short -Media folders were the tightest. T-shirts are great advertising mediums yet the site itself was never advertised. It was about folding and that's how it should remain. The site can come and go and there will still be people who will continue to fold.

I wear my T-shirt with pride and believe me its not for the number it represents but the team. That's why I say for me both points are valid. I'm proud of the Team the 93 represents. We get to know who that team is through the forums. So to that extent the name is relevant. It instills a sense of pride of belonging of camaraderie and importance.

I'm torn between the two camps and have not been able to cast my vote.

(BTW welcome back Prof :) I missed your unique take on things)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    The team is on this website. The members are from this website. The team is hosted on this website. The team should use this site's name.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    The team is on this website. The members are from this website. The team is hosted on this website. The team should use this site's name.

agreed.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:

As I understand it only the team name will change, not the team number (93).

Therefore it makes sense to change the name from Team Short-Media to Team Icrontic (if available).

My two pennies worth :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2007
    The name change is a foregone conclusion, so no one who supports the idea need worry.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited June 2007
    RADA wrote:
    I chose Team S-M because I feel we need to at least pay a little homage to S-M. Prime, MM, Shorty, Keebs, Kwitco (still sounds like a place to get a Slurpee :bigggrin:), Prof, and anyone else I might have missed, did an amazing job keeping S-M a quality place to hang out on the web. If is wasn't for their hard work and tenacity under the S-M banner, the new Icrontic could have not risen from the ashes.

Well said! Here here!:cheers3: