Team name straw poll

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    The team is on this website. The members are from this website. The team is hosted on this website. The team should use this site's name.
    It would add more weight to your statement if you were actually an active member of the team and had managed to turn in a WU or two since January of 2006. Talk is cheap. ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Okay, here's the same statement from someone with a lot of weight behind him (in more ways than one ;) ):

"The team is on this website. The members are from this website. The team is hosted on this website. The team should use this site's name."

I agree with this 100%.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Team Icrontic - I just like the idea of the site name being the team name... it just makes sense...
    edited June 2007
    Team Icrontic - I just like the idea of the site name being the team name... it just makes sense...

As I said before, that is a foregone conclusion.

I think it would be nice to keep at least some ties to the Short-Media days, but am under no illusions that it will happen. :(
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    There is always the SMx rigs... We can address keeping the SMx project so named, naming a rig after Short-Media, or a Milestone named after the "name Short-Media". ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    There is always the SMx rigs... We can address keeping the SMx project so named, naming a rig after Short-Media, or a Milestone named after the "name Short-Media". ;)

I think that even if new rigs go back to the ICx naming scheme, the existing SMx rigs will always serve as reminders of our rich history.

Just as I remained proud to host Icrontic_11 after our site became Short-Media, our SMx hosts are surely proud to be representing four of the best years of our history. :thumbsup:
    edited June 2007
    Both of the last two posts have made some positive suggestions, and are much appreciated. :fold:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Indeed... It would certainly make me feel better about the name change if the SMx project name stayed the same.
    edited June 2007
    I agree 100% all SMx rig should keep there current SMx##'s and not be changed just like the past IC rigs kept there names.

I also like the SM reward or milestone.. what number who knows maybe 93,000? lol

Also the SMx project should stay that... The SMx Project
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    II also like the SM reward or milestone.. what number who knows maybe 93,000? lol
    [/B]

I kind of like the idea. I do have a couple of thoughts: We have yet to have a 10,000,000 award winner ... maybe a commemorative SM award for that achievement ... :) ... but that may occur under a different name. Perhaps 5,000,000 would be appropriate?

I joined SM- so maybe my vote is more sentimental value right now than anything. (thanks for letting me muse)

And, Prof- it's VERY good to see you around and you've been missed- hope you're OK.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited June 2007
    This all sounds fine and dandy but try to actually do something about this.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    checkmate wrote:
    This all sounds fine and dandy but try to actually do something about this.

Yet if nothing is said, then nothing is done at all. And I have that feeling about this ...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    It would add more weight to your statement if you were actually an active member of the team and had managed to turn in a WU or two since January of 2006. Talk is cheap. ;)

Red herring.
    edited June 2007
    No, valid point.

Why should non-members give a flip what the name is?

You're not the only person who isn't involved with Team 93 to have voted in favor of the name change. That ought to be taken into account.

(But won't be, so don't worry. After the name change you can go back to not giving a hoot about the whole FAH project.)
    edited June 2007
    I would like the idea of a major milestone being named after Short-Media. I'm thinking 4 million - 1 million for each year of Short-Media. :thumbsup:

At the LAN, any team members are more than welcome to strike up a discussion about the naming. I think the LAN will be the deciding time. Some sort of official vote probably after the LAN and the name change soon after that.

Realize everyone... the people that are team staff are often also site staff. We've been busy with the transition, staff additions/ subtractions, the LAN, and normal life stuff. I, for example, am running the Games at the LAN, taking on the milestones area, and just finish a grad class yesterday. I've been up to my eyeballs with things and trying to grab all the strings attached to a name change has been difficult. Please have patients and the Team Staff will get things done. Cool? :D
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    The team is on this website. The members are from this website. The team is hosted on this website. The team should use this site's name.

I agree with the bucket.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    finish a grad class yesterday
    Congratulations, Q! I know you worked hard for that.
    Please have patients
    Sorry, that would be practicing without a license.
    edited June 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Congratulations, Q! I know you worked hard for that.
    Thanks Leo... Still have 4 classes until I'm done with my degree but it's less than 10 months away... not that I'm counting. :D
    edited June 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    ...Some sort of official vote probably after the LAN and the name change soon after that...
    That reminds me of the old joke "we'll give him a fair trial and then we'll hang him".

"Foregone conclusion", get it?
    edited June 2007
    Indeed.
    edited June 2007
    Profdlp.. why don't you tell us how you really feel? instead of beating the bush... no matter what I will still love you :)
    edited June 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    That reminds me of the old joke "we'll give him a fair trial and then we'll hang him".

The fairness of democracy is a matter of perspective ;)
    edited June 2007
    I think Prof is being pretty clear :p
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    "Foregone conclusion", get it?
    You moved directly from accusing me of using the team as a "gimmick" to less-than-subtly insinuating (repeatedly, at every opportunity) that I had decided to change the team's name before posting the poll.

I hadn't. I hypothesized that most people favored the name matching the site or wouldn't care. The committee ceased discussing it for (literally) a week and a half before I decided to investigate, regain our power to change it at all, and then post this to figure out what most people on the team wanted.

Turns out I was more correct than I thought I would be. I expected the results to be closer, frankly.

I made the poll public to be transparent about the tallies. I grouped all the "new name" options together so it wouldn't dilute the vote. I added equally positive comments after each, and I waited until several posts into the thread to state my own opinion. If you feel some votes should be disqualified, go ahead and list them - here or privately. I'll be surprised if it substantively changes the results thus far.

What sense would it make for me to post a poll if I already decided? I'm sure it'd make me look great to start a poll in which 80% decided to pick a new name and then I went and changed it to what I wanted anyway. Heck, I even called it a "straw poll" so as to not publicly back the committee into a corner. Of course I'm going to exert some pressure to get this diplomatically resolved the way I'd like it to. That doesn't mean I'm going to be a jerk about it.

Lastly, what sense does it make for you to keep saying that? Is there a goal to trash-talking me in public? I can't figure out what that would be, aside from trying to make me look bad.

Your scoffing at me has pretty well crossed the line from being reasonable (I understand not liking the site's name changing) to being offensive at this point. Brian and I have both attempted to work around whatever obstacles exist to getting you to the LAN (and continue to - I want you up here for it, honestly), where I'm sure they'll be talking about it, and we've been ignored. I don't know what else you expect from me.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I agree with Thrax and the others.

As a member of the original team 93, it seems logical for the team to keep the same identity as the community/website.

Originally 93 was IC, then the community transformed into Short-Media... the team followed.

Now that we are Icrontic again, it seems only right that the folding team returns to its roots as well.

I talked to Keebs about the the conundrum regarding team name long before this poll was posted (when the new site was still in development) and he told me back then that no decisions had been made and that we would have to ask the folding community. So I'm not sure why you are on such a high horse throwing around accusations. :wtf:
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I voted for SM, just a nostalgia thing. But I' m proud of you all, mi amigos, and the banner won't change that. In the long run we're here to find a cure.

Focus.
    edited June 2007
    IndigoRed wrote:
    I voted for SM, just a nostalgia thing. But I' m proud of you all, mi amigos, and the banner won't change that. In the long run we're here to find a cure.

Focus.
    Well said - thank you. :fold:

Matt, I don't know why you are taking this so personally. You are only one of many who support this idea and I was not intentionally singling you out. If it came to look that way, I apologize. :)

When I use the term "foregone conclusion" it is due to the fact that I viewed the change in the team name as inevitable as soon as the change in the site name was revealed. It has almost nothing to do with any events which have taken place since then.

For me, I always felt like somewhat of an outsider back at the original Icrontic. There was a tight-knit core of friends there and I always felt like the new guy who would never quite fit in. When Short-Media came along I saw my chance to be a part of something new and jumped in wholeheartedly.

Now that Short-Media is gone I find myself feeling like an outsider again. Maybe that doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't change the way I feel.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2007
    Don't feel bad. Everyone is just a squirrel trying to get a nut.

While I prefer Team Icrontic, I think that's retarded since there is another team named Icrontic so I think the next best solution is Team 93. Brian think's that sucks so my next favorite name is Team Nine Three. I doubt anyone like's that either. I don't really care much about the name change except I think Team Icrontic is stupid unless the current Icrontic team changes it's name to something else, maybe IC Dead PPL. :D
    profdlp wrote:
    Now that Short-Media is gone I find myself feeling like an outsider again. Maybe that doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't change the way I feel.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Well no, it doesn't make any sense since you're basically synonymous with the community here. You're deeper in the core community than I am :p When it's late at night and I'm worrying about the site and community, I start thinking of scenarios that would truly screw the site. My number one worst-case scenario involves you deciding to pull up stakes. (It also involves being left naked and smeared with poo in the middle of the street, but that's for another thread... :range: )
    edited June 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    (It also involves being left naked and smeared with poo in the middle of the street, but that's for another thread... :range: )

I thought that was on the LAN calendar for Saturday?