13»

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    :bawling:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    I'd like to take a straw poll here and see what people think.
    ….

I didn't create this with the intention of the results being binding, but I think it would help everyone to get a clearer picture of what people think.

…. I imagine it would entail another set of discussions and round of voting, but that's outside my purview.

I don’t think this straw poll is conclusive as many members don’t care what the outcome is and that can be interpreted as not changing anything as well as going ahead and making one. This poll also could include many non-folding, don’t care members- which does kind of bother me.

Since this vote was never meant to be conclusive then, if I may suggest, maybe a formal vote should be considered among active folding team members. Maybe a topic at the LAN should be about who qualifies as such.

Prof- I’ve looked up to you as a leader in this community- more specifically, a technical and Folding@Home leader who wants to see this science advance to someday help someone we give a damn about as much as someone you give a damn about. And I think that is worth giving a damn about and I, at least, hope you can understand that I think you’ve earned your place here- whether we are called Short-Medians or Icrontians.

BTW, Keebs- this thread was a good idea :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2007
    jared wrote:
    Originally 93 was IC, then the community transformed into Short-Media... the team followed.

Now that we are Icrontic again, it seems only right that the folding team returns to its roots as well.

What about people that only know Short-Media, like myself, and were never part of Icrontic. Guess we have to follow suit or get left behind.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    dragonV8 wrote:
    What about people that only know Short-Media, like myself, and were never part of Icrontic. Guess we have to follow suit or get left behind.

Did you join because the team because it was named Short-Media or did you join because of the community/support you got?

...well the community is still the same, just a different name. Just because the name changes, doesn't mean what it was is dead.

Short-Media was a community of people, and those people are still here now.

just my $.02 and not meant to attack at all.
    edited June 2007
    fatcat6 wrote:
    Did you join because the team because it was named Short-Media or did you join because of the community/support you got?
    I joined because of the assistance i got from Sort-Media.:thumbsup:
    fatcat6 wrote:
    ...well the community is still the same, just a different name. Just because the name changes, doesn't mean what it was is dead.

Short-Media was a community of people, and those people are still here now.
    My (our) way of repaying was to F:fold:LD for Shot-Media and join all the other members and Teams aroud the world to hopefully find cures.

I realise it is about the community of people, however we only know Short-Media as such and may not be as exited about a name change as others that came from Icrontic (read: forced) due to no fault of their own.
    fatcat6 wrote:
    just my $.02 and not meant to attack at all.

No probs...........did not take offence.:)
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2007
    dragonV8 wrote:

Jon - I don't think we will be left behind, but, I am with you - I never belonged to Icrontic - I joined Short-Media. :cool: I liked the folding sigs - and :) that's why I joined. There is a story there - but I would have to really slam another team to get into it - :( Not worth it. Jack
    edited June 2007
    witenoiz wrote:
    Jon - I don't think we will be left behind, but, I am with you - I never belonged to Icrontic - I joined Short-Media. :cool: I liked the folding sigs - and :) that's why I joined. There is a story there - but I would have to really slam another team to get into it - :( Not worth it. Jack

We have known each other (internet wise) for a long time Jack.

I hear what you are saying (if i may say so).:)
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I think this is much about nothing guys. When we swapped over to the SM name I can't remember a debate like this going on. If I remember correctly people just kinda shrugged their shoulders and went on with life. Its really no big deal, its just a name, and if that makes many of you upset to change over than I'm sorry but its happened once and we all survived, no big deal.

Bottom line IMHO, is that the team represents the current site that organizes it and currently that is Icrontic. Now this site is organized in the background by some very talented, VERY hardworking people that do nothing but slave over a hot LCD to bring you mmm, mmm, tasty forumness and the like. I know the point of folding is to find the cure and all that jazz but in the end there is also some name recognition involved with this that ultimately promotes this site AND the team. Basically if we change to Icrontic we get a name that people can easily find since it exists and secondly we give some much needed PR to the people that put their blood, sweat, tears, and hard earned money into this site.

The team needs to represent the site that its based out of simply for recruitment and recognition for the people that work on it. This isn't a what was here first issue, its a what is here now issue and right now the site is Icrontic and the team should represent that fact.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I think this is much about nothing guys. When we swapped over to the SM name I can't remember a debate like this going on.
    When we swapped before, the Icrontic name was not available. It had been purchased by someone else. Short-Media became a new site. Short-Media's membership consists of significantly more new members than members that migrated from the original Icrontic (pre-2003). If the majority of members here now were prior 'original' Icrontic members, I would imagine there wouldn't be much discussion now about the name change.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Jeez Louise' purple turkey butt slathered in peanut butter, folks. Who gives a bees penus about the name??? It's the people. This is a site of people. People that have gotten close due to the comeraderie between them. Helping each other. Helping those that need help from us. Drinking and partying with each other if the option is viable, or like me, raising one by myself to my mates I can't be with. I AM a proud Short Median, I AM a proud Icronticon. I am these things because I am proud of the association with the people, not the name. I'd be a proud Professor Dumbledore Toe Licker, if it had this group in it. (I may not scream that name from the rooftops, mind you...:bigggrin:)
    So hang up the name crap, and move on.

I'm folding for Team 93. I'm Folding with the mates I've chosen and I'm proud of that fact. GAF about the name...

Bloody hell, have an all out vote, OF THE FOLDING MEMBERS, and have done with it, we don't need this division.
  • edited September 2007
    Icromedia.

But as long as you don't delete my post, I don't care. Well, maybe legally prime or Mediaman's post, but... . Learning something here is my gusto anyway.:D