Icrontic on Team Fortress 2

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    OMG soooooo worth the wait, killer fun!!!!!!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Icrontic TF2/HL2DM server in 3... 2... 1...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    loads of fun this weekend everybody. Sharkydart is one mean sniper...
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Boy you sure pwned me good earlier lemonlime!

:ninja:

I was trying to get on the same team as you guys, but that was just as fun ;)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Are you guys playing this on Xbox or pc?
    Does the pc version play on the same server as Xbox?
    Just trying to find out if I can get the pc version,then join you all in the game sometime when your playing.
    And where can you get the pc version TF2. All I see is the 4-5 package deal. I've already have Half Life 2.
    And it says pre order....
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    loads of fun this weekend everybody. Sharkydart is one mean sniper...

He's not mean, he's just liberating you from whatever character class you're playing at the moment. ;)

You sure are deadly accurate with that grenade launcher, mas0n. I recall being dominated by your grenades a few times this weekend. :bigggrin:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I assume if you pre order you get the demo?
    edited September 2007
    Hawk wrote:
    I assume if you pre order you get the demo?

The pre-order package includes access to the beta, yes.
    Hawk wrote:
    Are you guys playing this on Xbox or pc?
    Does the pc version play on the same server as Xbox?
    Just trying to find out if I can get the pc version,then join you all in the game sometime when your playing.
    And where can you get the pc version TF2. All I see is the 4-5 package deal. I've already have Half Life 2.
    And it says pre order....

This is PC-only, no Xbox.

If you preorder you get the package for $45. TF2 alone is going to be $30 but it doesn't release until October 10. The Orange Box package also comes with Episodes 1 and 2 of Half-Life 2 and Portal. It also frees up your original Half-Life 2 code so you can give the game to someone else.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Oh, Cool, Thnxs GH. I'll post my Steam ID as soon as I get everything setup.
    I have to reload HL2 to sign into steam account. lol
    edited September 2007
    We'll see you in TF2, Hawk! :D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Just one more question and I'll stop buggin you guys. lol
    Do I have to load HL2 again on my pc to get the steam game engine/account etc. working? Between that and the TF2 demo and other games I have loaded it will take up quite some space on the HD.
    The reason I'm asking is I'm running on my 36G raptor and like to keep some space on it.
    edited September 2007
    You just need to instal Steam and purchase the Orange Box. Then when your purchase is verified (this took a whole agonizing day for me) you have the ability to install only TF2 if you want. You can save the HD space that way. It runs on the HL2 engine, so there is some overlap, but you don't have to install HL2 first.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    you don't need to reload HL2 just to get into steam - steam is a separate program. Just get the latest version from steampowered.com and log in with your account info and you can buy the orange box.
    edited September 2007
    One more thing:

Right this minute... I'd rather be sniping.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Cool, Thnx guys. I'll post my steam ID as soon as i get everything all set back up.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    One more thing:

Right this minute... I'd rather be sniping.

I would rather be chasing a pyro with my medigun... :)
    edited September 2007
    Mas0n and I played last night with the crappiest team ever. It really cemented the fact that this is a team game that needs team strategy. In one example, we were defending control points. Our team consisted of mostly heavies, medics, and snipers rushing up to the front to try to hold off the other team in their resupply point. I kept calling for engineers and pyros to protect them from spies... It was a debacle. We got overrun in seconds.

Mas0n and I bailed to another server and got wrapped up in another crappy team. The opposing team really knew what they were doing. They ubercharged a pyro and rushed the intel room, and had another medic/pyro combo on standby. They capture the intel twice in a row within about three minutes.

We had no engineers in the intel room.... Crappy team :grumble:
    edited September 2007
    I got autobalanced away from CB, Zanthian, and sharky at one point yesterday onto a team that really knew what it was doing. The one thing I noticed about the team was how well they coordinated activities over the voice chat. We defended the last capture point of the map for twenty minutes straight.

That was also the round that I got my "Grey Matter" badge. Twelve minutes between deaths as a sniper really racks up the headshot count. :p
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Well, of course, at about 8pm last night, my Orange Box purchase finally goes through. I missed an entire weekend of play. Pissed.
    edited September 2007
    Oh there's always tonight. Plus we may have a surprise for icrontic gamers soon....
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I love surprises!!!! :D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Hey guys,
    Is there any way to get the steam DL to go any faster?
    I've got dsl extreme supposedly. I tested my speeds- average is 300-315 DL and average 2950-3000 upload.
    But the Steam DL is in between 170-200 KB/s!
    Seems it going to take a couple of hrs or more to DL just the TF2 with the latest Steam client.
    Tried all the settings on DL speed on the steam client and DSL/Cable seems to work fastest, but it's still slowwww.
    Also, Will I be able to play TL2 offline to practice and get used to the game?
    Never played it before.
    edited September 2007
    I think steam is just being hammered right now. It's okay, by tonight when the rest of us are playing, you'll have it :)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    OK, Thnx prime. I'm probably not going to be very good for a while, till I get the game down pat. lol
    I'll need some expierienced players to guide me through some of it, I'm sure.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Cool. I've got to bowl tonight, but after I may head home for an hour or two to play some. Then, I'm going to go wait in line for my Halo 3 preorder. Yeah, I told myself I wouldn't do it. *Sigh* I'm going to.
    edited September 2007
    Don't worry Hawk. The "experienced" players have been playing TF2 for a week at most. ;)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Oh, I noticed I need an invite to the Icrontic community to join.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975030958
    I'll update my profile as soon as it will let me...... ugh.
    Edited it about 15 times now and it doesn't update.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Enjoyed a weekend of gaming with TF2. I am loving the engineer and the demoman. Played the medic like once and got Most health healed:9,253 (as Medic) Maybe i should play medic a few more times here or there.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zanthian
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I am really liking the Demoman.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mas0n
    edited September 2007
    I think I've developed enough of a grasp on the team concept to say that I would like to assemble a real team to go out and take on some of these other clans.

I would like to lead this team and also be our team's Engineer.

This is the initial idea I had:

Our medic needs to not only be able to run around behind an offensive player, but quickly determine the best teammate to receive the ubërcharge and also be aggressive enough (and skilled enough) to defend himself using his offensive weapons. The best medics I've seen so far are the ones who play "rough" and also know exactly where to stand to avoid fire while feeding their heavy or pyro. Also, the best uses of medics I've seen have not necessarily been as feeders for Heavies - I've seen excellent use of a medic/pyro combination on several occasions.

Our dedicated Pyro's primary job is to defend the engineer - he also needs to be able to quickly identify potential spies, especially when the engineer is busy. The pyro must resist the urge to Kamikaze into a group of heavies or soldiers unless it is a desperate last ditch attempt to save a control point or something.

Our dedicated scout/soldier needs to be able to play offensively and have tight, twitch aiming. I've been in several games that were won almost immediately by a skilled scout.

Our dedicated sniper needs to be able to identify the ideal sniping spots and also be quick enough to switch to the SMG in order to tackle opponents close by, and be astute enough to avoid getting backstabbed by spies all the time.

Our dedicated spy needs to know how to effective utilize disguise to prevent detection - how to "act" like the role he is playing. - "Gee, why is there a medic charging balls out at our engineer and turrets?" Also needs to be able to effectively use the cloak and make his primary job eliminating enemy machinery and snipers.

Our dedicated Engineer needs to understand the pivotal role that teleporters can play and know the best spots to put them in. He also needs to understand how critical defensive turrets are. After the turrets are built, maintenance must take second place to defense via shotgun. I've found that the Engineer's pistol is also an effective long range weapon, and have gotten several headshots with it. Engineers also need to be able to identify potential spies and communicate effectively with his defensive pyro to help defend the turrets.

I've got some excellent nominations for who fills these roles for us. Anybody else have any suggestions?