HP dv8000t Keyboard Checkup Guide!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Hardware
With all the issues around the world with messed up Keyboards on the dv8000t I think a few brief notes on how to check your keyboard connections can come in handy.

Recently I disassembled my entire dv8000t to see if a CPU upgrade is possible, find the info here

While taking apart the Laptop I found how easy it is to get to the keyboard and check the connections to make sure they are 100%.

Steps On how to remove the dv8000t Keyboard

Proceed at your own risk, If you don't know anything about laptops do not proceed.

1.) Remove the following from the Laptop: Hard Drives, Ram, & Battery.

2.) Flip the Laptop over and remove the screws from the corners and insides of the ram, Battery bays. The Big red circles should have a Keyboard icon next to the screw that you will need to remove. 1 is tucked up against the Wireless PCI card, and the other is at the bottom side of the Battery bay.

bottom_9.jpg

bottom_batt.jpg

bottom_ram.jpg

3.) Once all the screws are removed flip the laptop back over and open the screen lid as far back as it will go.

4.) Carefully use a tool "small flat head screw driver" and pry the plastic cover that buts against the screen. This will be snapped in place right where the hinges are on both sides. Don’t pull to hard but try to carefully pry both sides where the hinge is... it should come up easily.

upper_palstic.jpg

5.)
Now you can slide the keyboard up about 1/8 to 1/4 of and inch up and than lift revealing the 2 cables that connect the keyboard to the Motherboard.

6.)
The slots that hold the cables do not pull up use a small flat head screw driver and push the 2 brown/black brackets on each side forward. This will release the cables and allow you to remove the Keyboard from the laptop.

keyboiard.jpg

7.) Check the cables for any damages and if all looks good re insert the cables into the brackets and push the brackets back in place insuring a secure connection.

8.) Slide the Keyboard back in place in re-insert the upper Hinge cover and replace all the screws. If you want replace all the items before screwing everything back in for a test to make sure everything is properly connected.

9.) Replace all the screws and hopefully your keyboard issue is fixed.

Hope this helps :) If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited October 2007
    I know this is an old, old post, but sledge, do you remember if you could get to the fan after opening the keyboard?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The fan is on the bottom... you have to pull the motherboard to get to it... but once you get that far yes you can remove and clean it.
  • edited October 2007
    Anyway this is a good post .
  • edited November 2007
    just wondering how do u guys take off the blk part on the bak of this laptop. i need to chek my fan cuz its making noise. i dunno anything bout laptop much and dont want to do things that will mess up the laptop. so if u guys can give sum instruction on how to along wit pics that would be great, thanks in advance
  • edited October 2008
    Sledgehammer70 thank god for this thread anyhow I would appreciate your time and advice to help me I have a huge problem...

<hr style="color: rgb(204, 204, 204);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello there just 1 month after my TV burned out and became unable to watch, I was without TV so I began using my laptop to watch TV on on with a tuner. Well, one night my son dropped a half glass full of water directly onto the laptop the keyboard area from left to right, I jumped up and immediately flipped the laptop upside down and began patting it down with paper towels as much as possible. I got 90% of it but the rest must have sank into the laptop itself...its a HP DV8000 $1400 laptop.

Now everything works perfectly...sound, power, hard drive, dvd drive, Im typing with a USB desktop keyboard so that works ok, however, NONE of the buttons of the keyboard itself on the laptop work at all. Not even the num pad that didnt get wet at all. The mouse pad and power/volume buttons above the keyboard work fine as well.

Also noted, on the LCD display there is a BRIGHT splotch about 1 inch wide and 3 inches high and also its all along the bottom of the display like waves about an inch high only at the bottom though.
    The spots are getting smaller and less bright as time goes by.

Can someone please help me out and tell me what I could do to fix it or is it possible to buy just a new keyboard for the laptop and have someone install it? I saw replacements but I dont know how to install it.

Also I tried to take all the screws out the laptop and open it up but even with all the screws out it wouldnt open up, I couldnt figure out how to open it up to dry it out.
    1-sigh.gif
    Please help this is a family laptop with critical data on it and we dont have $1000 for a new one.

Sledgehammer70 Im sure you know what I should do at this point. I would really appreciate any advice.

Model: HP DV8000 black laptop
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Processor
    ATI Radeon 200M Xpress Graphics Card
    2GB RAM
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah I also dont get how the water spilled on the middle and left side of the laptop and there is a bright blotchy spots all over the laptop display screen itself and if someone could explain like exactly WHAT occured when the water hit the parts and what parts caused this, maybe i could figure out how to get rid of the blotchy spot and fix the keyboard as well.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited October 2008
    Dude this thread is a year old, come on..
  • edited January 2010
    With all the issues around the world with messed up Keyboards on the dv8000t I think a few brief notes on how to check your keyboard connections can come in handy.

Recently I disassembled my entire dv8000t to see if a CPU upgrade is possible, find the info here

While taking apart the Laptop I found how easy it is to get to the keyboard and check the connections to make sure they are 100%.

Steps On how to remove the dv8000t Keyboard

Proceed at your own risk, If you don't know anything about laptops do not proceed.

1.) Remove the following from the Laptop: Hard Drives, Ram, & Battery.

2.) Flip the Laptop over and remove the screws from the corners and insides of the ram, Battery bays. The Big red circles should have a Keyboard icon next to the screw that you will need to remove. 1 is tucked up against the Wireless PCI card, and the other is at the bottom side of the Battery bay.

bottom_9.jpg

bottom_batt.jpg

bottom_ram.jpg

3.) Once all the screws are removed flip the laptop back over and open the screen lid as far back as it will go.

4.) Carefully use a tool "small flat head screw driver" and pry the plastic cover that buts against the screen. This will be snapped in place right where the hinges are on both sides. Don�t pull to hard but try to carefully pry both sides where the hinge is... it should come up easily.

upper_palstic.jpg

5.) Now you can slide the keyboard up about 1/8 to 1/4 of and inch up and than lift revealing the 2 cables that connect the keyboard to the Motherboard.

6.) The slots that hold the cables do not pull up use a small flat head screw driver and push the 2 brown/black brackets on each side forward. This will release the cables and allow you to remove the Keyboard from the laptop.

keyboiard.jpg

7.) Check the cables for any damages and if all looks good re insert the cables into the brackets and push the brackets back in place insuring a secure connection.

8.) Slide the Keyboard back in place in re-insert the upper Hinge cover and replace all the screws. If you want replace all the items before screwing everything back in for a test to make sure everything is properly connected.

9.) Replace all the screws and hopefully your keyboard issue is fixed.

Hope this helps :) If you have any questions feel free to ask.