Pilates Reformers

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited October 2008 in Fitness
So I tried a Pilates Reformer class last night and it kicked my butt. Thats the first time in a long time that I feel like I got an effective workout in under an hour. I think I will be signing up for my gyms 4 class series and see what that does for me.

Anyone else done reformers? Thoughts?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Do you still feel it the next day? I usually feel like my workout is kicking my butt, but I don't know if it was truly effective unless I'm sore the next day.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Pain != gain. Remember, that. What really matters is your heart rate (Aerobics), and being unable to do more reps of an exercise in a limited number of sets.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Do you still feel it the next day? I usually feel like my workout is kicking my butt, but I don't know if it was truly effective unless I'm sore the next day.

I feel it but not really sore just worked out... I certainly couldnt do it again today but would be able to do it tomorrow probably... When I was really sore the next day I wasnt able to workout again after a day of rest... it was more like after several days of rest and that just totally negated the workout... and my back issues make me hurt a lot faster than I think most people do.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2007
    My buddy's wife recently got into pilates. We've tried to get her to explain the difference/advantages over regular weight lifting several times but we wind up more confused than when we started =)

Anything that gets your heart rate up I guess, I think there are more efficient ways of doing it though. Seems to me that its more of an aerobic workout than strength training. I don't know much about it though, I confess.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    To me it looks like 'aerobic resistance yoga'.
    edited October 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    'aerobic resistance yoga'.
    Say that 3 times fast :P
    LawnMM wrote:
    My buddy's wife recently got into pilates. We've tried to get her to explain the difference/advantages over regular weight lifting several times but we wind up more confused than when we started =)

Anything that gets your heart rate up I guess, I think there are more efficient ways of doing it though. Seems to me that its more of an aerobic workout than strength training. I don't know much about it though, I confess.

Ive done mat pilates on and off at my old gym and it was good.. about as useful as yoga... but they kept changing the time slot for it and I never was able to fall into a routine of going... The reformers are different...those are a pulleys and springs system so more of a resistance that you are working against than a weights system.

The reformers are better than regular weight lifting for me it seems because of my subluxatation in the lumbar discs of my spine. enough weight to work the muscles causes too much pressure on those discs. Doing the reformers class last night was the only time that I didn't pull a disc out of place while working out.
    edited October 2007
    So I signed up for the intro classes and have gone twice this week and I am SORE! This is great! I think I might have found my new favorite exercise (when my old favorite exercise was working in the garden :P )
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    BetsyD,

Welcome to the wold of Pilate's!

I have been doing Pilate's with a personal trainer after being introduced to it over 6 months ago and totally love it. It works you from the core rather than from external muscles and thus is a very different kind of workout. It is also a very balanced total body workout that stretches the opposite muscles at the same time. CB was mostly correct with his assessment but there is no resistance about the reformer. The machine actually works in reverse most times and assists you in the exercise rather that providing resistance. Most times more spring pressure results in an easier workout but some exercises the springs do make it harder. Combining the mat and reformer exercises results in a very good routine and if you add the Pilate's chair to the equation you are in for some real pain and torture! Wait till you start doing "short-spine" and "semi-circles". I have really learned that form, proper breathing and concentration are critical to a truly great Pilate's workout. My g/f has a reformer made by Balanced Body as well as the rings, mats and gym ball. We visit the trainer once a week for an hour and do about 4 30 minute workouts a week at home together during the week. If you can get personal 1 on 1 training as opposed to a class with others I would really recommend it as you will be able to get better attention on doing the exercises correctly and focus better.

Keep it up!!!
    edited October 2007
    I signed up for 4 individual "classes" with the trainer... so its 1 hour sessions alone not with a group. After doing these 4 I might do one more round of individual session before I sign up for the group classes b/c Im having issues with certain exercises that the trainer says are central to the classes... but hey Ive only done them twice :P

I didnt know you could buy the reformers retail... where do you get them?
    edited October 2007
    BetsyD wrote:
    I signed up for 4 individual "classes" with the trainer... so its 1 hour sessions alone not with a group. After doing these 4 I might do one more round of individual session before I sign up for the group classes b/c Im having issues with certain exercises that the trainer says are central to the classes... but hey Ive only done them twice :P

I didnt know you could buy the reformers retail... where do you get them?

Here is where she got her machine.

http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/store/pilates-exercise-equipment.html
    edited October 2007
    Here is a review Balanced Body "Allegro", which is the machine she has.

http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/equipment/allegro-pilates-reformer.html
    edited October 2007
    I think that allegro is the brand that the gym has... but its up off the ground on legs... They are nice :)
    edited October 2008
    Ok so Im coming up on a year of doing Pilates. For a few months recently I was only able to go one day a week (school schedule) and really noticed a decline. The studio was kind enough to start some 6am classes for me (well others were interested too but Im the one who asked for them ;) ) so now I am going 3 days a week, and am on their unlimited classes package. Which basically means that as long as I go to at least 3 classes a week its the cheapest package that they offer (it breaks even at 12 classes a month with their next cheapest option)

Since I started into the 3 days a week I have dropped 8lbs and 1.5% of my body fat (CB and I also adjusted our diet about the same time so its probably a combination of the two factors.) I don't see a huge difference in the mirror but I feel skinnier, and better balanced.

But I still love Pilates now as much as I did a year ago and i am still seeing results from doing it, so I just thought I would let anyone who was wondering know that Pilates is a great exercise routine :D