• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Nights, your account is up
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    fatcat
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    My car came with a tire-iron, but since I've never needed it, I've never used it.
    midga
    edited November 2007
    CB, stop being so petulant. Go back to being CB PWNING NUBS which was much more fun to hang out with. :p

Honestly, what kind of reply are you expecting with a comment like this:
    CB Droege wrote:
    My car came with a tire-iron, but since I've never needed it, I've never used it.

Do you want a "good for you", do you want an apology for including a free teamspeak server, or giving our teammates another option to privately communicate? Do you want me to say "you're right CB, I shouldn't have done that?".... I'm trying to understand the psychology behind your reticence here :D
    edited November 2007
    Okay, here's my motivation: I like the voice communication which is included with the TF2 game. It works, and works well. I would be disappointed if everyone started using teamspeak instead. I don't want to have to install a new program to be able to do what is already done better by the existing feature of the game. :/ If everyone else starts using teamspeak, wont I have to have it in order to be able to hear you? That would suck. Also, teamspeak is too private, we wouldn't be able to talk to the strangers which join our teams randomly, which would also suck. :(

The point of my analogy was to say that: Just because it came free, doesn't mean we should use it if we don't need to. :D

Also: There is the whole thing about not fixing things which are in perfect order.

Now that you can mute individual players at will through the game's interface, it is an ideal voice communication system. :)

Do I seem less petulant when I use more smileys? ;)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Can you make my teamspeak account name "CB Droege"?
    edited November 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    It works, and works well.

Okay, here's the fatal flaw in your stance. It does NOT work well. It's choppy, it is not full duplex (when more than one person talks, it cuts out and alternates between them and becomes a garbled mess), and most importantly, you cannot filter out ****tards (REMEMBER THE HUGWA KID).

It's "there" and it "works", and that's all it has going for it. How can you say it "does it better" than teamspeak, when it sounds as if you've never used teamspeak?

Teamspeak is free. It's "click setup.exe" simple to install, it's full duplex with good audio quality, hotkeying, and multiple channel support (we can have a TF2 channel, a "****ing around" channel, a channel for any other game we might want to play one day, etc.), and it's super small. What more could you want?

It's better than the TF2 in game chat.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    I've used mine :ninja::rarr:
    edited November 2007
    I lied. You don't need a username and password, but if you log in, you'll be recognized. It's an open, public server.
    edited November 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Also, teamspeak is too private, we wouldn't be able to talk to the strangers which join our teams randomly, which would also suck. :(

It's a public server.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I pranked him to death with a tire-iron.

Teamspeak is awesomesauce. It's nice to have a client that allows people outside the game to contact you. Don't you have to be on a server to have access to the voice chat in TF2. With Teamspeak, that's not an issue. It worked very well back in my CS days when we needed to kick a player to allow a clanmate/gaming buddy on. All one had to do was get on TS and say 'Hey the server is full. Would an admin please boot somebody so I can join?"

The in-game chat and TS should work side-by-side, but it's pretty common to offer a public TS channel so that if visitors would like to have some quality audio chat, they're able to do it. Just some observations.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Advertising teamspeak on the server is not a problem either, as far as getting people to join.

Enough gamers have it, this much I know.
    edited November 2007
    Almost every server we play on offers either TS or Ventrilo.

Although this won't be a problem anymore :ninja:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Using Teamspeak also makes it not such a big deal if the TF2 voice-chat is set to "all" and prevents interupton in coversation during server changes, while finding servers, etc.... Only issue I see is if we are not all on the same team, but we can create rooms in TS as you can in Vent, right?
    CB Droege wrote:
    Also, teamspeak is too private, we wouldn't be able to talk to the strangers which join our teams randomly, which would also suck. :(

You could still use the TF2 voice chat to communicate with them if they didn't join TS.
    edited November 2007
    Yes, TS is channelized just like Ventrilo. You can have "rooms".
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I still wish it were Ventrilo.
    edited November 2007
    You would.

I think TS has more options and abilities than Ventrilo does, personally. The last time I used Vent was like 4 years ago, though. The best feature of it at that time was making it say a personalized message when I entered.

/me shrugs
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I have ts up and running and connected to IC but I'm not sure exactly how it works or what I have to do. Can you access it from in game?
    edited November 2007
    I have mine set to a key. I believe you can do it under "setup" or "options" and then Keybindings (this is in Teamspeak, not TF2). That way I can hit "V" to use the in-game voice, and the other key to use TS.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    what codec should I use?

CELP
    GSM
    CELP Windows
    Speex

right now I have it on GSM 16.4k

and everytime I hit "my" key to talk all i get is the ding sound repeating
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    CELP is set here
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Account name in Hawk pleasey.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Where are you guys DLing it from?
    I DLed it and hit the install icon and all I get is error Hawlsound not loaded or something close to that.
    Edit; It says--- "Error loading Hawlvoice library (hdvi.dll) Maybe not installed?"
    Don't know what that is.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    http://www.goteamspeak.com/?page=downloads

I downloaded the v2.xxxxx client...didn't worry about the updated EXE
    edited November 2007
    What about dividing by teams? If we're all on the same TeamSpeak server, wont we get cross-team communication?
    edited November 2007
    An admin can switch you, or you can switch yourself.

You can bind channel switching keys through the options panel. I make use of the F keys.

Speex, to my knowledge, is the best combination of quality and low connection demands. Though, what you choose doesn't really matter AFAIK, only what is defaulted on the TS channel itself.