Remove My Pictures from Wallpaper list?

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited December 2007 in Science & Tech
I realise that Windows XP, by default will source the pictures in the wallpapers list from [C:/Windows] , [C:/Windows/Web/Wallpaper] and ["My Pictures"] folders. Does anyone know how to stop it from sourcing the files from "My Pictures" and all the sub folders without copying to a new folder? Perhaps a registry edit of some sort?
I know it is a bit pedantic but I would like to keep my files where I want them without having hundreds of pictures in the Wallpaper list.
Any help is greatly appreciated.:D

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    I think it's part of the explorer core.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited December 2007
    Funny thing is it has done it on one PC that I have XP Home installed on but does not do it on Pro (or so it would seem)...........
    I thought there would surely be a Registry edit
    edited December 2007
    Does it to me on Pro..
    edited December 2007
    The plot thickens............it doesn't do it on my Pro tower in the Living room, or the one at work. Have to insert the pictures into the actual Wallpaper folder.
    There must be a solution surely..........
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited December 2007
    Do you just want to reduce the list? Can do this with a registry hack, which permits only bitmap images for wallpaper.
    Support Note:-
    This setting limits the desktop background (wallpaper) to bitmap (.bmp) files. If users select files with other image formats, such as JPEG, GIF, PNG, or HTML, through the Browse button on the Desktop tab, the wallpaper does not load. Files that are autoconverted to a .bmp format, such as JPEG, GIF, and PNG, can be set as Wallpaper by right-clicking the image and selecting Set as Wallpaper.

Haven't found a way to actually stop browsing in the default folders though
    edited December 2007
    This sounds like a decent workaround for what I want to do, I can always convert the images that I want to keep in my list to bmp's and just right click on the actual image if I want to use a jpeg etc.....
    I mainly want to do this so that there aren't hundreds of pictures in the wallpaper list cos it takes a long time for the list to load......
    Hack instructions would be great,
    Cheers...............:thumbsup:
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited December 2007
    Hi Byron,
    Please save your registry before using.

I have tested this and it works. I put this in the registry, then restarted, the list was reduced to bmp only.

Allow only bitmapped wallpaper
    KEY: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
    DWORD: NoHTMLWallpaper (in the value box put ) 1

If you later want the other pics just change the 1 to a 0
    edited December 2007
    I just use Aston shell. It doesn't have any neat wallpaper system. You have to load a picture in aston.exe with /w(Resolution) to get wallpaper, or use the cripped wallpaper manager.
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for all the info people, the reg edit proved a success. It still baffles me why this only seems to happen on some PC's and not others though. :scratch:

Anyway, have a great day..............
    :cheers: