PC hangs on shutdown

edited December 2007 in Hardware
It might not seem a big thing but my PC hangs for about 20 to 30 seconds before giving me the shutdown option. What gives?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    windows is just trying to close all of its various processes.
    I presume that you scan for virus and spyware often.
  • edited December 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    windows is just trying to close all of its various processes.
    I presume that you scan for virus and spyware often.

Yes. It's only recently it's started doing it but not every time. I have about 30 processes running in Task manager. I don't really know which ones I need and which ones I don't.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    30 processes is pretty normal. If you want to speed things up remove any programs you aren't using from your Startup folder and anything sitting in your task bar that doesn't need to be there automatically, prevent from being there.
  • edited December 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    30 processes is pretty normal. If you want to speed things up remove any programs you aren't using from your Startup folder and anything sitting in your task bar that doesn't need to be there automatically, prevent from being there.

I've also done that. I'm more concerned that my PC is taking a while to reach the shutdown option when it wasn't doing it before.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited December 2007
    Have you also recently started to use a new program / game / or an old program ?
  • edited December 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    Have you also recently started to use a new program / game / or an old program ?
    The only one I can think of is Winamp though wouldn't have thought that would make a difference.
    edited December 2007
    Are you using the latest version - 5.5 (I think) with ipod
  • edited December 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    Are you using the latest version - 5.5 (I think) with ipod

Yes, it's the latest version.
    edited December 2007
    There seems to be quite a lot of problems with the new version according to the winamp forum, talk of screens going blank, icons missing from desktops, slowdowns - the list goes on. Might be worth having a look.
  • edited December 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    There seems to be quite a lot of problems with the new version according to the winamp forum, talk of screens going blank, icons missing from desktops, slowdowns - the list goes on. Might be worth having a look.

OK, thanks. Might have to go back to using MediaMonkey.
  • edited December 2007
    I've deleted Winamp and it's still stalling for about 20 seconds before the shutdown option.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited December 2007
    If this is Wndows XP I know exactly what you're talking about. It used to happen to me and, for a while a lot of computers that I installed XP onto. Good news & Bad news - Good news is it does go away, but the bad news is I never found out exactly why.
    At one stage I got the impression that it ceased after a Microsoft update (it was a fair while back so excuse my long term memory loss). I also seem to recall having trouble with Windows defender at the time hogging my system resources. Whether the two were related I'm not sure.
    Maybe try Microsoft website and check the updates section and/or disable Defender if you have it installed.