tab in windows volume control called bass boost

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Internet & Media
I hope this is the right forum for a question about speakers. After years with an old no-name 17" flat screen that my wife got with a Dell, I recently upgraded to an Acer 22", and wow! What an improvement! Trouble was, the old screen had a built-in speaker, and the new one doesn't so I had to upgrade speakers as well, and went for Logitech R20 2.1 3pc Speakers from Tigerdirect for just $25. I haven't listened to much music on the computer so far, but might take that up now! For the money they rock! However, the bass is a little too boomy for my taste and there is no separate control. In one of the reviews of the speaker on Tigerdirect a dude wrote: "you can add a tab in the windows volume control called bass boost", which is supposed to provide separate control for the bass. Unfortunately he didn't explain how to do that. Does anybody here know? I hope this is not a new feature in Vista, because I am still on XT.

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    I would venture a guess that it's based on the soundcard.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I can't believe I didn't think of that myself! I just checked, and my soundcard has a whole equalizer coming with it. I guess that solves my problem ;-)

Many thanks!
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    So I take it you bought the Acer 2216 series monitor? I have the 2223wd model which is effectively a 2216 with speakers. I personally really like this monitor and the price was definitely right.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Yep, Tiger calls it: "Acer AL2216WBD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor. They had it for one day only at $179 after a $50 mail-in rebate. I have no experience with high-end screens, so I can't judge from that viewpoint, but it certainly beats the pants off my old Dell! I forked out and bought a $20 graphic card with it that has no frills but let me connect the screen via DVI, since several reviews mentioned that as a distinct improvement. I find the screen a lot sharper than my old one, there are no dead pixels so far (my old screen had an annoying one right in the middle, which I must have tried a million times to clone out in PS :tongue:), and there is soooo much space now, eg for working with several images in PS and similar applications! Photography is one of my hobbies, and I work quite a bit with my images in PS, so that is important to me.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Thought that was the one! That's an awesome price too! For the money, I have no complaints either. No dead pixels to speak of and just like you, the extra display space is awesome. I went from a 17" Samsung CRT. :)