Modem Won't Connect to Internet

edited December 2007 in Science & Tech
I have a compaq desktop with windows xp and dsl internet service through at & t. A few weeks ago I had a system boot failure. I couldn't connect to the internet after that. I had my tower re imaged still cannot connect to the internet. At & T techs came today to my house and said that the computer is not finding the modem but gave no suggestions. What can it be and what can I do?. Please help me.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Cari, your post was not in the same topic as the thread in which was located previously. I have moved it for you so that it will get the proper attention. Hope we can solve your problem.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    how is the modem hooked up to your computer

through a usb or through an ethernet coard
  • edited December 2007
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    how is the modem hooked up to your computer

through a usb or through an ethernet coard
  • edited December 2007
    It is connected with enthernet.
    And thank you. I guess I am a little green with these types of issues, sorry.
  • edited December 2007
    I still need help. I am connected to the internet some how through internet explorer. But since I am with AT&T and I am used to their browser I tried to install my AT&T internet disc and it is still saying cannot find the modem. So even though I got internet service now (it shuts down once and awhile) I want things the way they were. Why isn't the computer finding my modem? O by the way the techs gave me a new modem. It is now motorola. Help
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited December 2007
    If you can connect to the internet through internet explorer, then your internet is setup and working. If you want to use AT&T's browser, you'll have to call them and get them to walk you through the setup. I personally would stick with what works and learn IE or install firefox.
  • edited December 2007
    Hi I got it working. Thanks for any and all input people. Really appreciated. Thanks and have a great new year.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Alright, way to go, Cari!