My friends computer is infected

neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
edited January 2008 in Spyware & Virus Removal
And Im trying to help them out a bit.

Sorry if this doesnt belong here, but I figure that since it concerns spyware/virus removal, then it might belong here. If it doesn't, then could a mod please move it? Thanks.

And now back to the topic.

As I said, A friend of mine has a generic sounding spyware infection that keeps popping ads up every 5 seconds, and since they don't know jack about computers(they think Norton is a decent program :rolleyes2), I figure I would help them out. However, before I send them an email, I just want to double check to make sure I have all my links right and that everything is in order. I don't want to give bad advice, you know? Oh, by the way, they are running XP on a laptop, though im not sure what make/model, with just basic Norton and its included firewall.

So heres what I'm going to tell them.

Im first going to tell them to make sure they update windows with all the latest stuff, then restart. I will then have them download AVG Antispyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Antivir Pe Classic, and Pest Patrol. After those are downloaded, I will have them start in safe mode, without networking, and have them uninstall Norton, start windows firewall, and install all the programs that they downloaded. Finally, Ill have them restart, and show them how to run the updates and scans, have them scan their system, clean it, hope that they got rid of the problem, then reffer them to here in case of more trouble.

Does that all seem right? I think I got the links correct and everything. Did I leave out any steps? Any other advice for me or my friend or anything? Normally, I wouldn't have a problem doing all of this myself, but I live in New York, and my friend lives in England, so if something goes wrong, I wont be there to help them, so I wanna make sure that im giving them all the right steps, you know?

Comments

• neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
    edited January 2008
    ...Anyone? I just want confirmation that what im sending them is accurate and that it is the right course of action to start with.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2008
    Apologies for the delay.

Start by having them install HijackThis and produce a log to post here.

Why don't you share the thread link with them so they can follow the easy instructions given. If they get stuck, they can stop and ask.
  • neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
    edited January 2008
    Actually, its all good now. I was able to get the problem straightened out "pretty well" on my own.

..."Pretty well", of course means that they arent getting the annoying popups anymore, and everything *seems* normal. But I have reffered them to this site, so if they have any further questions, they know to come here now.

Thanks anyway. :)
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2008
    OK, good going! :)

I'll close this thread.