Sony DW-Q58A Won't Read CDs

KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hi! This is my first new thread around Icrontic in a very long time. I wish it was about a happier subject.

My girlfriend's laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400, has a Sony DW-Q58A DVD+/-RW drive that has stopped reading/writing CDs.

The problem started when she was trying to burn a CD and inserted my Cruzer Micro 2GB jump drive. The jump drive has some stupid management software that starts up in the system tray every time you insert it. When this was loading, I noticed that the drive's buffer usage in Nero had dropped to zero. I told her to "safely remove" the jump drive, but WinXP stopped being responsive. When it finally came around, Nero gave a burning error (don't remember what it said) and Windows told me I couldn't remove the drive because a process was using it. I couldn't find said process so I rebooted, removing the jump drive.

Well when the drive's buffer usage had dropped to zero in Nero, it started making this loud R2D2-like noise that sounded like it was trying to read the disc. Now it makes that same sound every time I insert a CD, blank or not.

I uninstalled the device and rebooted, updated the firmware and rebooted, both to no avail.

Any ideas?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Have you removed any and all CD burning software as well?
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited January 2008
    No, I have not uninstalled burning software yet. I'll give that a try later.
    edited January 2008
    I uninstalled Nero & MusicMatch, and it still won't read CDs.

Any other suggestions?
    edited January 2008
    I found this on another forum, and it didn't work either
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    4. On the File menu, click Export.
    5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
    6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I had a CD writer in a laptop go bad once. It was a work machine so I 'borrowed' an identical drive from a colleague from the same model of laptop. He never even knew that I had swapped drives with him, as my supposedly dead drive worked perfectly in his laptop. Optical drives can really be fickle sometimes. I wish I had a solution for you, Kyle.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Unfortunately, that is also my best answer. Looks like yours has gone to meet its maker.
    edited January 2008
    Ok, I just bought a replacement from eBay for $45 shipped. Let's hope it works...