Need Help Synchronizing Color on Dual LCDs

KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
edited January 2008 in Hardware
So I have two identical Dell E228WFP 22" LCDs connected to a Dell laptop dock. The dock only has 1 VGA and 1 DVI-D Dual Link output. Even at restored factory settings on both monitors with identical color temps, the screen using the VGA input appears much more blue.

If there's a methodical way to open some sort of calibration image on both screens and fiddle with the individual RGB temps, I'm open to suggestions.

On the other hand, in the near future I will have a 2nd machine connected to the unused input on each screen, in which case the calibrations would work against me, making one monitor appear MUCH more blue, right?

So in lieu of color calibration, could I use one of these adapters to use a DVI cable with my VGA output? If so, what are the chances the colors would look the same as those coming from the actual DVI output?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Pantone HUEY might be what you're looking for:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=79&ca=2
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I just bought a Huey yesterday to match colors across 3 monitors on two PCs. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I set it up tonight if you have any interest.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited January 2008
    Yes, please let us know how it goes. I really have no interest in paying money to get these monitors to match up, but if it works like a charm... I might consider it.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    THE GOOD: I didn't realise how much I suck at calibrating colors by eyesight until last night. After calibration, photos & games had never looked so good. Games that are very dark (Quake IV, FEAR, HL2:E1) looked GREAT after the calibration, I can't even begin to tell you how much of a difference it makes.

THE BAD: Huey PRO ($130) is needed to calibrate a computer with multiple displays. The standard Huey ($80) will only work on a single display per computer. :(

The difference between the Standard and the Pro is purely software, they use the same device.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited January 2008
    I wish I knew someone that owned one of these... it seems like the kind of thing I would only need to use once in a very long while.