looking for a program

DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Science & Tech
Comcast is pissing me off I tell them that their modem
reset it's self and they say it's shows on theirs side find.
I say it's not fine and they say have you dropped any calls?
My modem works the telephone and internet so what I'm
looking for is a program that records when my connection is
lost or the modem resets.
Is there something like that?
I know it's not the pcs I unplugged them from it and it stills
does it. 3 times a day at least I saw it reset at least that.
So I want a way to record it so I can show them.
Till I show them they won't do anything about the
modem.

Comments

• DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    no one knows a program to do this?
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'm not an expert by any means in this area; I'm just taking a guess at what you could do... Do you have a router in between your computer(s) and the modem? I'm not sure, but you may be able to have such a router keep a log (if it doesn't already automatically do so).
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited February 2008
    if you are running linux/cygwin you could continuously ping Comcast's server every 10 seconds in the background. For example:

ping -i 10 www.comcast.com >> pingresults.txt &

You can probably do the same with the windows ping utility, I'm just not sure of the flags.
  • edited February 2008
    Your modem should be able to log this stuff on it's own, should tell you why it's disconnecting (if it actually is) too.
    edited February 2008
    rapture wrote:
    Your modem should be able to log this stuff on it's own, should tell you why it's disconnecting (if it actually is) too.

I'm losing the connection for like 30 seconds while
    the modem resets.
    How do I find it's logs?
    sharkydart wrote:
    Do you have a router in between your computer(s) and the modem? I'm not sure, but you may be able to have such a router keep a log (if it doesn't already automatically do so).

I download the manual for my switch (TE100S5)going to start reading it
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    The issue is that unless the modem is logging it no program will tell you that the modem itself is resetting. It'll only tell you that your network is dropping which could be anything.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    You could try PingPlotter and let it ping their servers every ten seconds. Leave it running and it will show you with a graph when your connection is dropped and where (first hops are your computer and network).

It helped me when people on our ISP were having massive amounts of packet loss and the ISP was saying it was BS.
  • edited February 2008
    I'm losing the connection for like 30 seconds while
    the modem resets.
    How do I find it's logs?
    No idea, what modem are you using?
    edited February 2008
    rapture wrote:
    No idea, what modem are you using?

Arris TM502g
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    The issue is that unless the modem is logging it no program will tell you that the modem itself is resetting. It'll only tell you that your network is dropping which could be anything.
  • edited February 2008
    I've had a look on the Arris website, all I can make out is they lock everything down they can so your ISP don't have to deal with people reconfiguring their equipment and screwing things up.

Only other thing I found was a thread on dslreports where somebody had pasted their event logs so they do exist, just can't tell you where to go.

You might have to go exploring...
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    I did some googling on that modem and the only other fragment of info I could find was one guy that was having a similar rebooting issue and the suggestion was to pull the battery out of the modem and reset it. Which is all fine and good, but likely would void any coverage you have of that modem and kill any chance of getting it fixed for free.
  • edited February 2008
    Battery replacement was one of the first things covered in the modem manual when I was looking. Looks like a fairly simple job to be honest.

But still, I'd check the logs before doing anything.
    edited February 2008
    I tried the removing of the battery to reset it. Had it down
    for 20 minutes, now I'm waiting to see if it still reset itself.
    So far it hasn't reseted it self ( Keeping my fingers cross)