.dll editor

hi. i'm looking into making a plugin for Gaim v1.5 and would like any suggestions on what program i should use to edit the .dll file?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You don't edit DLL files. You code them. They use a programming language of various sorts, do you know how to program?
  • edited March 2008
    yea, i know how to code. its just that the one program i have on my computer, XN resource editor, only lets me open .dll files and "edit" them.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You can't edit .dll files. They are compiled library files.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    So wait, does that mean you can't edit .dll files
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    well, i mean you _can_ edit them, just not in any really meaningful way.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    j wrote:
    So wait, does that mean you can't edit .dll files

You need the source code so you can recompile the library.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    JB wrote:
    You need the source code so you can recompile the library.

woosh.
  • ThraxThrax
    does the according hand gesture.
    🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    does the according hand gesture.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    edited March 2008
    Ok, wait so your saying you can't edit .dll's, but is their a program out there that can open the dll and then I can change the contents.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    j wrote:
    is their a program out there that can open the dll and then I can change the contents.

No. You need to modify the original source code that was used to build the .dll (C/C++/C# files). If the .dll was written by Microsoft (or any other proprietary vendor) you will not have access to the source code. If it is an open source effort you may be able to obtain the source code from the maintainers.

Pidgin plugins do not require modification to the Pidgin source. A developer simply writes C code with a static entry method that works with the pre-defined Pidgin API. This is how applications allow for extendability without requiring the 3rd party developer to recompile the original application.
    edited March 2008
    OOOOH so you CAN'T edit .dll's...I understand now
  • edited March 2008
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~slgdouglas//Grepship/Grepship_Editor_Download.htm

come there to see if that will help you or not, I do not try, hence I am await to see how you going with that .............

cheer