Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe stability problems

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    After you flashed your BIOS to 1201 did you ever go back into BIOS to change to the settings you mentioned above? After a BIOS flash it will revert back to default settings.

Also try running with only 1 stick of RAM and see if that is an improvement at all.

I have no Idea why your fans are acting up, but you should be able to change a setting in BIOS to keep the asus splash screen from showing up.
  • edited September 2007
    no idea why, but my system is stable with 1 stick of ram, regardless of which stick. but if i throw both sticks of ram in there i get lockups and power downs randomly. its ocz ram too so i thought i was getting the good stuff.
  • edited September 2007
    so as of right now, its been stable for the whole day, but i have no idea why. I havent changed a single setting since yesterday, but its running perfectly. Im willing to bet though that it will start acting up again sometime soon.

By the way, i did reset all of my settings in the bios after i flashed the bios, and if it starts crashing again (which im pretty sure it will) then ill try it with just one stick of ram. But if this solves the problem, is there anything i can do so i can use both sticks again? -I didnt really buy this motherboard with the intention of only having access to 1 ram slot. Thanks again for the help by the way!
    edited September 2007
    Well we should be able to narrow some things down if you computer has no issues with just 1 stick of RAM, after that hopefully we can get it to work with the other one in as well. I was suggesting it mostly to get you up and running without BSOD's so you can have a stable condition to work from.

Hopefully things continue to run well.
  • edited September 2007
    ok, so it started crashing again earlier today and its got to the point where i cant even get it to boot now. So i took your advice and tried it with one stick of ram, and its still not working. It will either not give me any sort of video image upon turning it on, or it'll get past that and freeze up while posting. Oh and earlier i tried swapping a friends graphics card in, and i still had no video, so i dont think its that. I also swapped in his power supply because ive had computers in the past that wouldnt boot due to a malfunctioning psu, and i still had the same problems. So where should i go from here?
  • edited September 2007
    Ok, I'm having some random system hangs. Usually when gaming or when the system is idle for long periods. (I'm assuming it's a heat issue). I have an aluminum Lian-Li case and a 120MM intake and 120MM exhaust fan, moving a good ammount of air. I'd like to take the heat sinks off the motherboard chipset and re-apply the thermal compound, however; they're all connected, and seem to be attached with plastic pins. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely remove and reinstall the heatsink? Thanks :)
  • edited November 2007
    anyone tested the new 1402 bios to see if it stabalizes memory issues any?
  • edited November 2007
    I have the newest BIOS but still, the PC crashes, but unregulary.
    I have the same Mainboard, an this crashes occure since i've Updatet to 2 GB Ram (from 1GB). The First 4 Weeks the system was stable, but then suddenly the PC crashed with an Bluescreen. An since then my Pc crashes nearly every Day. The biggest Problem is when I use Xampp (Apache + Mysql), Photoshop an iTunes... today I tried to fix a Table in Mysql and the System crashed...I'm glad that I found this Forum.
    I would say someone should Contact Asus, did anyone do that so far?

PS: Excuse my english and mistakes I make, I'm hope I don't make that much ^^
  • edited December 2007
    Has anyone else had problems with the latest BIOS on ASUS' website, 1503?

The ASUS BIOS update software (via FTP) states the latest is 1201.

I downloaded BIOS v1503 and had more problems with stability than normal. I found that nearly most software I ran would crash (not BSOD though) and that this happened regardless of memory slots I used (yellow or black).

I've now downgraded back to 1201 and so far seems ok but I'm taking things really slow.
  • edited December 2007
    I've had nothing but problems with this motherboard since day one.

Anyway, I've had hard drive problems with this motherboard and I figure I'd share while I wait for new sound drivers to download.

So far, I can only get 3 of the SATA ports to work with out causing delay write errors. Anyone else having this issue and have a solution to it?

If you are having issues installing an OS onto a SATA drive, change the hard drive settings in BIOS to Large instead of Auto. Yes, that's it. It solved every problem I had with installing an OS. After reading this form, it sounds like not using Auto is a good solution for everything with this motherboard.

Well, I'm going to stick my ram into the "wrong" slot and see if that solves my isues that brought me to this form. If this works, it will be the first time in 2 years my computer has been stable....Maybe this will let me use that 4th hard drive!

Well, I just want to share the "solution" for the hard drive issue and I ended sounding annoyed...because I am.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    If this works, it will be the first time in 2 years my computer has been stable....
    I admire the patience some of you have. I would have trashed that board long ago. OK, I realize that budget realities come into play.

pinball~17, I hope it works for you. Please post your results.

Welcome to Icrontic! :cool:
  • edited January 2008
    Hello everyone my name is Luke. I am glad I found this thread because my ASUS M2N32 SLI has been driving me crazy. I built my first computer with the ASUSM2N32SLI, MAXTOR SATA HD, AMD X2 6400+, Zalman Heatsink, OCZ PN: OCZ2G800R22GK 6400 1GB X 4, FOXCONN 8800GTX, ABS BZ800 800W PSU, LG DVDRW. Everything ran fine for a few days until I rebooted the computer after installing some software. When the computer restarted I got a NO VIDEO SIGNAL error and a loud long beep followed later by two short beeps. I can hear the fans running.

I switched Monitors
    I took everything apart and reconnected
    I tested the ram dimms 1 by 1
    I reset the CMOS through jumper
    I tought the video card was faulty because some 8800GTX's have been having problems so I RMA and got a new one
    From looking at other forums I RMA the PSU to make sure it was okay
    Last but not least I RMA the mobo and got my new one today and no luck :(
    Only thing I didnt buy from new egg was the CPU, I hope its not the CPU

From doing some research I heard of couple of people having problems with OCZ Ram and that the mobo is picky on the ram. I will replace the RAM tomorrow and hope it works. I bought the M2N32 after hearing great things but now I am scared and am really low on money. Has anyone had similar problems and if so, what was your solution?? thanks
    :confused:
    Luke
    uscolmrne@yahoo.com
  • edited January 2008
    i feel your pain. ive been fighting this motherboard for several months now. sick of all the lockups and powerdowns. ive replaced damn near everything i can think of. asus lost a 15 year loyal customer this week... i just ordered my new abit motherboard and intel cpu.... im done with asus for 2 reasons. when they do release a dog they never take repsonsibility they just stick their head in the sand and let time heal the wounds.. and im sick of trying to sue theri website. i honestly think their website is running on a cell phone in the back of someones cubicle. i hope you solve the problems and i wish you luck because owning asus means you are on your own with this issue. i too have ocz ram and have replaced it, that didnt fix the problem.
  • edited January 2008
    uscolmrne wrote:
    Hello everyone my name is Luke. I am glad I found this thread because my ASUS M2N32 SLI has been driving me crazy. I built my first computer with the ASUSM2N32SLI, MAXTOR SATA HD, AMD X2 6400+, Zalman Heatsink, OCZ PN: OCZ2G800R22GK 6400 1GB X 4, FOXCONN 8800GTX, ABS BZ800 800W PSU, LG DVDRW. Everything ran fine for a few days until I rebooted the computer after installing some software. When the computer restarted I got a NO VIDEO SIGNAL error and a loud long beep followed later by two short beeps. I can hear the fans running.

I switched Monitors
    I took everything apart and reconnected
    I tested the ram dimms 1 by 1
    I reset the CMOS through jumper
    I tought the video card was faulty because some 8800GTX's have been having problems so I RMA and got a new one
    From looking at other forums I RMA the PSU to make sure it was okay
    Last but not least I RMA the mobo and got my new one today and no luck :(
    Only thing I didnt buy from new egg was the CPU, I hope its not the CPU

From doing some research I heard of couple of people having problems with OCZ Ram and that the mobo is picky on the ram. I will replace the RAM tomorrow and hope it works. I bought the M2N32 after hearing great things but now I am scared and am really low on money. Has anyone had similar problems and if so, what was your solution?? thanks
    :confused:
    Luke
    uscolmrne@yahoo.com

i have the same mb and at first i had the same problem as most but it turned at it was my videocard so got a 8800 GT and alls good. I counldn't find your ram in qvl from asus. I think your using the revision 2, i have the same stuff but not with the revision and evering work great and this mb is insane once you get it going good. I would look at the ram but first try a memory test just to make sure. this is one of the only ocz ram i found that would work good with this mb.
  • edited January 2008
    I just returned the motherboard and used a spare AM2 motherboard. I really liked the motherboard but oh well. Thanks for the help guys!
  • edited January 2008
    raiisak wrote:
    Hey all, I just registered to tell you guys this:

I have the: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590 SLI, Socket-AM2, DDR2,2xGbLAN,ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16
    I448380.jpg

Here is the rest of my specs:
    • Microsoft XP Pro
    • Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    • Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
    • Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940BF TCO-99 700:1, DVI-D, 2ms, 1280x1024
    • Thermaltake Matrix VX Sort, Aluminium, Vindu, Kun 3,8 kg (Uten Strømforsyning)
    • sus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590 SLI, Socket-AM2, DDR2,2xGbLAN,ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED m/vifte
    • Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 1024MB CL4 Kit w/two matched BallistiX 64Megx64
    • XFX GeForce 7900GT 520M Xtreme 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 520/1500Mhz, VIVO
    • Hiper Type-R 580W Sort, 2 Vifter, Silent 18db, 4xSATA, ATX, SLI, 20/24pin
    • Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, USB
    • Hipercomm Aluminium Tastatur med Mulitmedia Hurtigtaster, USB
    • 3Com 11a/b/g Wireless PCI 108 Mbps , WPA2, WMM, Extended Range
    • Logitech Z-4e 2.1 Høyttalere Sort 2 Satelitter og Subwoofer, 40 W RMS
    • Zalman VGA-Kjøler VF900-Cu, Lett Kobberkjøler, 2 Heatpipes
    The reason why games is crashing and forcing bluescreens are the integrated sound card. You are told to dl a hotfix before installing the driver on the included cd. The problem is that this hotfix are only on xpx64 and win 2003. If you want it for xp home/pro you need to contact microsoft and have them send it to you (so it says on microsoft.com). The integrated soundmax card even make browsing in local folders a laggy experience on a raptor disk!! Good examples of the scratchy sound on the Soundmax card:
    Lobby (login) in World of Warcraft and the gameplay inside Oblivion.

Solution: Creative SB Audigy SE , Bulk PCI, 7.1 Surround, 24-bit/96KHz, EAX2.0
    I397713.jpg
    NOW EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE A CHARM!! After gettin a new soundcard the unstabilite issue is gone and gameplay is much faster, hope this was any help.

New sound card = No problem

hey raiisak,
    I did the EXACT same thing as above and my Audigy SE card still wont work correctly. Everytime i reboot i lose the sound again. I have to put the CD in and repair the drivers. Even then after a few hours the sound will vanish

running XP pro SP2
    I put the card in, Disabled the onboard sound in my BIOS (I think). I booted up and uninstalled the soundmax stuff. I booted up again and installed the drivers and the main programs (talk about bloatware).

Im not sure what im doing wrong but I am about to throw this MOBO out the window. Whats a fast computer and great graphics without sound. A Piece of crap basically.. any help would be awesome.. thank you
    edited January 2008
    ASUS M2N32 SLI. I don't think I've ever known of a motherboard with such a dismal history. Seriously, I can't recall any other board as infamous. My Asus boards have all been superb. I just can't understand why Asus didn't pull the M2N32 SLI from the market or fix its problems.
  • edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    ASUS M2N32 SLI. I don't think I've ever known of a motherboard with such a dismal history.

First what I have at the mo: -

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62
    Win XP 32-bit
    550W PSU
    Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe
    4GB DDR2 900MHZ OCZ GOLD - Downgraded to 4GB 667MHZ Samsung turd sticks
    1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
    2 x 250BG Maxtor DiamondMax
    Pioneer DVR-111 DVD Drive
    Samsung SH-S182M DVD Lightscribe Drive
    Leadtek 7950GT 256MB - then - Jetway 8600GT 256MB - and now finally - Asus 8800GTS 512MB
    Creative X-FI Fatality Soundcard

Hey, read most of this entire thread. I too have an M2N32 SLI motherboard.

I've read through most of the thread trying to make sense of everyone’s fixes for all the BSOD's, scratchy sound, jolty frame rates when moving the mouse in game, random error messages, and altogether crappy running of my computer as a whole.

I've had everything replaced by the guys where I had the comp. First the ram, then downgraded from 800mhz to 667, then the graphics card, then the motherboard and PSU, then the hard drive to a Seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb, then the graphics card again.

Throughout these changes I have had the same problems and have even got more as I did so. Have updated the bios whenever there was a new one, have tried everything this thread has suggested about the ram, e.g. less cards in different slots different voltage and so on. Changed, uninstalled soundcrap drives, have X-FI sound card still does nothing to solve crackling. Tried.. . .. . . . .. . . .. and so on......and so on...

From what I’ve read you guys have been great, the info on this site that has amassed from everyone chipping in is great. I'm sure most people could find a working fix for their problems with this mobo. I have yet not been able to.

I'm sure all you guys are reading this and thinking 'but has he tried this'... and 'oh no that’s all wrong why didn't he do this', and 'that has been found out to definitely not work with that motherboard'.....

Thing is I don't think I can be bothered with this board anymore. Yes when you look at the specs of this board it's actually a really good mobo, if it worked. But I want to just get a mobo that will more than likely just work, well a higher percentage than the M2N32 deluxe. I know it sounds sad, but hey it's well over a year now and that’s it for me.

If I was able to get any Motherboard I wanted in replacement of this one what would it be?? Preferably with on-board Wi-Fi, not essential.

Thanks for reading
  • edited January 2008
    well i just wanted to say that I have been working on this all day and have had finally had some luck.

A new sound card is the first step. Installing it correctly is apparently like solving a rubics cube with your eyes shut.

i must have installed/uninstalled 500 times. What I did today was, uninstall and take out my sound blaster SE card... enabled HD SOUND in the BIOS, install the SOUNDMAX garbage that came with the CD, go through the wizard..tested it, listened to a few songs, played a quick game of counter strike. wasnt to bad. I then unistalled soundmax with a full reboot. then another boot to my BIOS and disabled HD sound. Then yet another save and exit and full reboot.. then a shutdown, then put the SE card back in, booted up and installed off the CD, I let it search around to find the drivers just cuz its something different and then installed the programs with a reboot.

It seems to be working fine now. The sound IS MUCH BETTER. 24 bit rates and EAX stuff is actaully pretty cool.. I set it to small room and up the slider to 65, threw in base boost..

I played a game or 30 of counter strike and what a great difference...
    I hope the sound sticks around but this is the best so far. I used to get nearly this far but would blue screen when i tried to open up EAX or play a song. So far so good. I really do like this board, it should just not be this hard to get it working correctly.

btw i have a AMD FX 5600 2.8X2 (NOT OC), 4 GB G skill ram which has worked great. Although XP only finds 3.5GB.. Still working that out.
    8800GTS EVGA 640MB, 500GB WD HD, 80GB WD HD for the OS, running os XP 32 SP2. Im not sure if cooling has anything to do with some of the problems you guys see but PC prob puts me at 29 for CPU and 35 for the MOBO. My case has lots of fans. The SB Audigy SE card (nothing fancy but I like it) Lightscribe DVD DLRW

How many of you are also OC your memory/CPUs, That can obviously cause a lot of instability.
    edited January 2008
    If I was able to get any Motherboard I wanted in replacement of this one what would it be?? Preferably with on-board Wi-Fi, not essential.
    Please open a new thread on that topic! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.
  • edited January 2008
    Wow I wish I'd seen this forum before I bought this board.

I've just built a machine for my sister while I'm visiting the UK

A2N32SLI Deluxe Wifi
    AMD x2 6000+
    4g DDR2 800
    400G Samsung HDD
    Radeon X1050
    Windows xp32

It ran fine for a few days, but now it randomly freezes. I've patiently gone through this forum and tried all of the fixes suggested but nothing seems to have helped. Event manager shows two errors about 2 minutes before a freeze:

Event ID: 32003 Source: IPNATHLP
    The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

and

Event ID: 2505 Source: Server
    The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{317D74D4-48B1-4600-9C74-D1AC58B836AD} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

If anyone could shed any light on possible solutions it would be greatly appreciated, especially since I go back to Australia in 2 days, and would prefer to leave a machine that works semi-reliably!
  • edited January 2008
    Have you tried disabling the Wi-Fi in network connections?
  • edited February 2008
    I tried disabling wifi completely, but the problem kept happening at random intervals. I've since done a fresh install of windows, disabled the wifi immediately, and there don't seem to be any more issues. Hopefully. Would have been good to be able to fix without a new install, but as long as it's stable I don't really care.

Thanks.
  • edited February 2008
    I am certainly no expert here, I stumbled on this forum looking for answers to sound issues with the card. My son had similar bluescreen issues and after researching it, uninstalled the nvidia ide drivers, and problem free for a few months now. Hope this helps..
  • edited February 2008
    For gaming lag and jittery mouse ingame, there is an optimizer on the AMD site (sorry, don't have the link) that solves the timing issues that cause some of these problems.
  • edited April 2008
    Hi

I have an m2n32 sli deluxe motherboard well actually i am on my second one as i wiped the bios off the first but that is another story. i would like to comment if it is an sli board designed for use with nvidea sli graphics cards then would an ati board work correctly? secondly have you got amd live enabled in the bios if so then have you got the drivers installed for it as they are not on the cd but are needed.

Parsnips
    edited April 2008
    the answer to your first question (if I am reading it correctly) is yes. An ATI video card will work with this asus board as long as it is the correct slot type, in this case, PCI express.

I never used amd live with this board and honestly there isn't much reason to. You should be able to find drivers on AMD's website though.
  • edited April 2008
    After reading this thread I must say that I'm flabbergasted enough to post here.

The reason why is that I'm using this board in it's wireless variant and it's 100% trouble free. I've got an X2 4000+ Brisbane, 2 gigs of OCZ PC 6400 platinum ram, 3 Seagate 7200.9 500 gig HDD's, 1 in SATA mode, the others in RAID -0, 2 X 160Gig WD1600JB's each booting to a different OS (0 booting XP and 1 booting Vista Home Premium) with a DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drive riding the IDE cable. I'm running a pair of 7950GT's in SLI and I have an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude doing sound duties in lieu of the onboard sound. The bios is the shipped 1402 revision.

From the first this board's been stable and freaky fast. I've got the FSB cranked to 268 (2881Mhz CPU), the ram at 5/4 for 738DDR and it's sound as a pound. Naturally I've had to bump the CPU VCore but it's only right at 1.5V.

I've benched all the disks and everything is right in line with what the reads/writes should be for the disks I'm running do on other boards. Now, one issue I ran into with my old mobo (the predecessor to the M2N, the A8N32-SLI Deluxe) was that SATA II disks (specifically the 7200.9) would cause errors when set to native 3.0Gbs. That and having NCQ enabled would cause glitches like the board or CPU was stuttering. Dropped frames in movies/games. Skipping cursor movements under high CPU loads, that sort of thing. Moving the SATA I compatibility jumper on the drive to SATA I mode and disabling NCQ in device manager cured those ills. Now, on this board I haven't disabled NCQ but the jumper (on the single 7200.9) is still in SATA I mode. The RAID array is in native SATA II mode but as it's a "SCSI" device according to device manager I don't know that it would matter, I'm not sure how RAID and NCQ fit together.

Long story short, I'm dismayed that everyone here has had all these problems but I can at least assure you that should you ever get your problems worked out with your boards you'll be more than pleased with how awesome these boards are when they're working at full capacity. I found out that they'll support the new Phenoms (the XX50's) up to 9750 so I intend on making the jump to one as soon as I can afford it. Hopefully I can coax it up to 9850 speeds or above.
  • edited April 2008
    Hi all

I just bought this board and don't seem to be having trouble with it stability wise. My new build has only been going for 2 weeks or so but when i first put everything together there was no post - that was due to a brand new D.O.A video card which was promptly sent back for a new one. I also was getting bsod but was fixed with a new install of windows. My problem atm is, for the life of me, i cannot find the sound software to tweak my sound settings..there's picture of software in the manual but I can't find anything to launch this software. There doesn't seem to be anything on the driver cd for this either. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using the optical port and it's attached to my logitech z5500's..I've also gone to the asus site for new drivers too. Sound is ok, but I might pull out my chaintech AV-710 sound card out of my old system, even though it doesn't have any software but going optical out i don't think i need it really. I think for what i paid for this mobo and with the sound capabilites it supposed to have, there should be some sound software somewhere. I also tried browsing the cd to no avail. Is it just me or has anyone else run across this?
  • edited June 2008
    Well, I'm not sure if this thread is still active or not, but I may as well give it a shot. I have actually read through all 18 pages :), and have seen something similar to my problem a time or two, notably from Stumpy, but this one has a bit of a history. It's an odd one. I'll put my system specs at the end of this post.

Anyway, the problem is simply a cold posting problem. My system worked fine for a month or two, but then started having problems posting when it had been shut down for more than a few minutes. I would have to hard reset it until it posted properly. Once when I had returned from a week's visit home, it took a LONG time to start properly. Anyway, I replaced the power supply with a much better one, but this did not solve the problem. I replaced the CMOS battery, no change. I reseated the RAM in the black slots, no change. I set the RAM timings manually per the instructions in this very informative thread: no change. I have plugged my SATA devices into different slots, to no avail. I disabled everything on the motherboard that was not being used.

Here's the strange part. I reseated my video card in PCI-Ex16 slot #2(black) - problem completely disappeared. I confirmed this with two different video cards. It posted perfectly from cold a number of times over varyling lengths of shutdown. Well, for a few days anyway.....

Until late yesterday, and again this morning. The problem was temporarily fixed completely, but has now returned. Freezes on cold POST. What in the world can possibly be making it do this??

Any ideas would be supremely appreciated.

Here's my build:

M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wireless
    ASUS EN8800GT
    Seagate 300 GB SATA HDD
    PC P&C 610W PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    ASUS 16x DVD
    2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 RAM
    Centurion 5 case
    Samsung Syncmaster 906BW