Help finding a voice modem

KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
edited April 2008 in Hardware
I'm looking for any decent voice modem expansion card for my laptop. Apparently my intarweb search skills have gone to crap, because I'm having a lot of trouble finding one. I want to use it (in combination with software) to replace my work telephone. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I know this isn't what you're asking, but what about VOIP as an alternative?
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited April 2008
    My company uses Packet8 VoIP. When I travel for work (which is frequently), I pack up my Packet8 BPA410 Adapter and a cordless phone to connect to it. I'm looking to lighten my load by getting rid of the external phone, base, headset & power adapter. I wear a gaming headset most of the time and listen to music, so I thought it would be nice to use a software phone to send/receive calls. My Dell D620 has a modem, but the few programs I've tried to use don't recognize it as a "voice modem".
    edited April 2008
    I'd take a look at Skype, and some VOIP head/handsets. That way you can use any wireless or wired broadband connection and dial out. It seems like it'd be a lot less to carry and a lot easier to setup and use.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited April 2008
    Cyclonite wrote:
    I'd take a look at Skype, and some VOIP head/handsets. That way you can use any wireless or wired broadband connection and dial out. It seems like it'd be a lot less to carry and a lot easier to setup and use.

I don't really understand how that would let me connect to the Packet8 network. I want to keep my office extension, be able to transfer calls to other extensions, and dial coworkers extensions. I know their are other providers. The point is I already have a provider (Packet8) and I need to keep using that number for inbound and outbound calls.
    edited April 2008
    Oh. I missed that. Sorry.