Phenom X3 Processors

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Science & Tech
It's launch day for the new AMD Phenom X3 processors, and we've got the full story on them! Kudos to Mike for going the extra mile to push this review out!
lemonlime wrote:
Intel's Core2 processors are a very tough crowd to beat these days though, especially their latest 45nm models. Although the 45nm Core2 Duo often outperforms the Phenom X3 in older and single-threaded applications, the X3s posses a lot of untapped potential that will be useful in the future. As we've seen—the X3 scales very well in applications that can take advantage of multiple processing cores. Multi-threaded applications will become increasingly common moving forward, so the X3 is a good longer-term choice in that respect. Really, it comes down to fewer, faster cores, or more numerous, slower cores. When comparing the raw crunching power in some synthetic benchmarks, the X3 8750 and the E8400 are almost at par. The problem is finding real-world applications today that can take advantage of that extra horsepower.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the review, Mike.

Very interesting.

:cool:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    It was great that you went the extra mile and cleared the "bad" core issue up with AMD. Go Mike!
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    These seem like a decent step up from the "X2" AMD processors. I'd personally like to see how they fold with an SMP client. Pretty encouraging for AMD, it's not beating intel soundly but the fab process definitely helps AMD to keep prices very competitive.

Learned lots thanks Mike!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Now I want one :-/
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    As do I.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I'll have to wait and see-- can't afford such a machine in the next six months-- but will be interested to see how they spread and how popular they are. I am running a 2.66 GHz Intel processor now that was state of the art 4 years ago, due to the fact that I have no current applications that can use multiple cores in the versions I have.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    but the fab process definitely helps AMD to keep prices very competitive
    No, AMD prices are de facto set by Intel. AMD has no choice in the matter.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    No, AMD prices are de facto set by Intel. AMD has no choice in the matter.

Correct but the fab process helps take some pressure off of being forced to set that low price, as in it is more affordable for AMD than if they didn't have their fab process.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Well. Three cores...I don't really know what to think of that... I remember when two cores meant two physical chips, back in the day of the Athlon MP's and dual P3 Slot rigs...MAN thsoe made powerful machines. But I wonder if XP will handle 3 cores...?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    XP can handle however many cores CPU manufacturers can fit into two physical sockets.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    core-rect