Suggestions for prebuilt water cooled rig

ChipChip Dallas Member
edited June 2008 in Hardware
Ok, I'm fed up with crunching HD video on my current rig. It's just too painful. I've always built my compys, but I just don't have the time anymore. So, I'm looking to buy prebuilt.

I'm hooked on water cooling, (thanks to BuddyJ and Gargoyle) so that's a must.
I'd like it to be SLI capable, but not necessarily with both cards installed at first. However, I want the video cards to be included with the water cooling. NVidia SLI motherboard. Needs Core 2 Quad chip. Hard drive arrangement isn't that important since I'll probably redo it anyway. I like spacious cases, but shape isn't that important. I do like aluminum, but I can do without. Vista 64bit is preferred (the NLE video software prefers it so quit poking fun at me now) :)

Anyone know a PC builder than sells something like that?

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I know that the really high end Dell XPS offers watercooling and can be configured with SLi.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    http://h20435.www2.hp.com/#/thermals/
    This might be what you're looking for. Voodoo coupled with HP to design a high end water cooled box. It looks nice.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited June 2008
    Wow, I never thought I'd like an HP, but that one looks good. I'm sure pricing it out will put me in sticker shock. Time to save my pennies.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    yeah $7,720.01 worth of pennies. That is with the 30 inch monitor though;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Good to see you again, Chip!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Chip, http://www.boxxtech.com/ might have what you're looking for too.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited June 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    yeah $7,720.01 worth of pennies. That is with the 30 inch monitor though;)
    I've already got the 30" monitor from Dell and love it. That'll save a few bucks.
    Buddy J wrote:
    Chip, http://www.boxxtech.com/ might have what you're looking for too.
    Very very interesting BuddyJ. It looks like these guys are geared more to what I'm trying to do. They have the CPU power, but I wish they didn't force me to buy those expensive NVidia Quadro cards. I like their motherboards they use. Two Core 2 Quad Intel processors? SWEET!

That gets me thinking. Maybe I should just gut my current Frankenshark system and slap in that series 5400 Intel chipset motherboard. That would save quite a bit of money. My original thinking was to pass along my current rig to my wife. However, she doesn't need that kind of power of even my current computer. She's an email/solitaire type user.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Give me the specs you want. I'll price it and build it for 10% commission. :). Would still more than likely wind up being cheaper than a prebuilt.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I wish they didn't force me to buy those expensive NVidia Quadro
    A complete waste for a gaming rig, or most other consumer uses. The reason I have mine is because they were cheap on eBay and I've had great results using them for photo editing. But with the excellent quality of even midrange cards coming from Nvidia and ATI now, I don't see the point in a Quadro or FireGL outside of precision workstation use, such as CAD/CAM and related professional uses.
    edited June 2008
    You really should consider building your own again. In my opinion, the premium boutique computers and high-end big brand machines are colossal ripoffs unless you have so much money that a couple thousands dollars is hardly noticeable.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited June 2008
    Yes I would ditto, If your going water cooling you should build your own. I mean cheap water cooling systems really just don't get the job done.

Just buy quality parts individually (pump, blocks, radiator) and make your own. If your going prebuilt WC you mine aswell go air cooling I don't think you'll see much of a difference.
    edited June 2008
    If your going prebuilt WC you mine aswell go air cooling I don't think you'll see much of a difference.
    I agree. Although I've never water cooled a computer, I've done my best to keep up with the technology and have read quite a number of reviews and user experiences. I don't think you will find a pre-built system with better than a modest water cooling system, one that may not outperform the best air coolers.
    edited June 2008
    You will actually get a cooler PC on AIR with a lapped CPU and a lapped heatsink than a pre-built WC system, I wouldn't even trust a pre-built WC system. Actually the world pre-built never means quality in my opinion.

So I recommend looking up lapping, get a nice heat sink that will fit in your case and some great air cooling even if its silent scythe fans and you will get the performance you want.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited June 2008
    Ok... I'm convinced, I'm building again. Instead of a total build, I think I'm going to just do a MB/CPU/Memory and OS upgrade. My 7900GT SLI video cards are showing their age, but for what I do, they're fine.

As much as I'd like to upgrade now, I think it may be best to wait till Nehalem.
    edited June 2008
    Right on... I am doing the same lol.