Meet your camera - IC's intro to digital photography

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Science & Tech
Matt Jancaitis does it again! This time he introduces the noob in all of us to the basics behind digital photography. I'm gonna go ahead and call this one a "must read" :)

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I like. It covered just about everything a beginnner would need to know. After all, you can only teach so much and after that you have to go out and figure out what works and what doesn't. That's how I learned.

I started out in yearbook my junior year as photoshop & photographer guy. We had some old Pentax p&s cameras. These were alright, and as soon as I figured out how to use the manual settings I was taking pretty good pictures. Then came football season, which is big in Enid. It was too late to take any good pictures with the little pentax's.

So I got out the film SLR that my teacher had, which probably hadn't been used in 5 years beacuse no one besides her knew anything about photography (she was a photography major). Anyway, $400 worth of film later :D I was taking pretty decent pictures. Though I was used to my digital camera; so I was a little trigger happy. She ended up buying an Olympus E-510 with lens kit and speed light. I got that my senior year as head photographer.

I learned so much with that camera by just sitting in my room with a candle on the desk or some other light source and play with shutter/apperature/iso. I'd also go out in the wheat field behind my house and take pictures of the trees, oil pumps and other random stuff. I had a lot of cool pictures from those two years until I reformatted my hdd and forgot to back up the one folder that was the most important to me...
  • ReyReyReyRey Greenville, SC
    edited July 2009
    I liked this! Well put!