Firefox & Thunderbird - update infinite loop

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Science & Tech
Everytime Firefox or Thunderbird has a point release, they get stuck in an infinite loop of
One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure that all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart [Thunderbird/Firefox] to try again.
and then it attempts to apply the update with a little progress bar, and throws the same error. It will continue in an infinite loop until I kill it with Task Manager.

I also can't delete the firefox.exe file; I have to boot to safe mode to kill it, then reinstall it EVERY darn update.

• Firefox is doing this on both my home and work computers. I only use Thunderbird at work.
  • This has been going on since Firefox 2.x.
  • The fact that it happens on both Firefox and now Thunderbird leads me to believe it is not a plugin. However, the bookmarks in common between the two systems are WebDev, Firebug, Colorzilla, and Foxmarks. I see no material online listing problems with any of them, and they're all widely popular.
  • Attempting to start either program in safe mode after an attempted update accomplishes nothing

I have reformatted my home machine since it started, and it is now doing it again on the new install. It was a fresh 3.0 Firefox install and I did not install Thunderbird.

I have Dreamweaver, Photoshop, mIRC, WinSCP, putty, iTunes, and Winamp frequently running, but closing them accomplishes nothing.

Halp? :( Every cursed update is driving me nuts right now.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    OS?

Could it be a GTK issue or libpurple or something like that? Do you have any weird disk configurations (like an H install drive) or something?

HOW VERY CURIOUS.:scratch:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Windows XP Pro on both boxes. Both machines defaulted to C: install drives, but after my recent reformat I installed Adobe and Valve products on a separate drive at home (everything else remained on C)

I'm not sure what uses GTK or libpurple besides Pidgin, which is only on my home system.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Apparently this is a two-year-old bug...

//edit: I just tried ending a bunch of non-system processes and now Thunderbird starts again :rolleyes:

//edit: I think it was TrayIt!... I tried restarting that app and it's throwing a bunch of errors saying I should reboot to make it work again :range: Also possible it was YzDock.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    So are you going to disable TrayIt, or just deal with closing processes every time you open thunderbird?

And safe mode doesn't help in either?

Man, that's a nasty one.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that firebug wasn't compaitible with the newest version of Firefox (3.x)

But your work computer too? very odd. Do you run TrayIt on your work computer too?