Four pastes, one reviewer: Icrontic thermal compound mini-roundup

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Science & Tech
Mike D puts four different thermal compounds on the IC workbench. Find out what he discovered.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Thanks, Mike. Expect to get complaints that you did not apply each paste in accordance to a particular guide posted hither or yon. I think your methodology was sound, testing each the same way and taking pains to be consistent. That's what it's all about - comparison.

BTW, I'm quite sure why the article states that TX-2 has been out for only six months. I've been using it for over a year.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nice review Mike, solid and to the point without all the fluff that some sites go for!

Thanks for your hard and consistent work!!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I was a bit concerned about that too, Leo. But like you mentioned, consistency is most important when comparing paste products. With half degree deltas, I had to rely on an application method that I could reproduce over and over again. The problem with the bead and line method is that pastes with varying thickness may spread differently under mounting pressure. Spreading it as described allowed me to see exactly how thick the applied paste was.

You are right about the TX-2 being around for over a year. Our PR rep contacted us about six months ago regarding TX-2 and I incorrectly assumed it was freshly released at that time. I corrected that statement in the review. Thanks for catching that! :)
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Great job Mike, I always thought they were all the same.