Icrontic change: ads and comparison shopping.

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Community
Hello everyone.

You may have noticed that we've slowly making changes around your beloved Icrontic lately. I wanted to let you know about our next big change. We recently signed on with PriceGrabber to provide comparison shopping as a convenience and service for our members. If you're not familiar with PriceGrabber, it's a great service that allows you to look for the lowest price for a specific product. For example, if you know you want an Intel Q6600 Retail, you can use our PriceGrabber page to find the best price for it online. We'll be providing comparison shopping for most technology items as well as media (games, books, movies, music) and digital photography gear. You'll probably start seeing links to our PriceGrabber page any time a product recommendation is made. For example, if you ask "What's the best value for video cards right now?" and somebody says "The Voodoo 3 is the best card out there", you'll see a link to find the best price on the Voodoo 3.

On a side note, the Voodoo 3 is not the best card out there right now. Just sayin'.

We also recently signed on with a new ad provider. Youl'l be seeing different ads, probably less Google and more "traditional" banner ads. Please understand that advertising is our sole business model, we are a traditional web media outlet and this is how we make our living. We would appreciate it if you didn't adblock our site. The ads are relevant to technology consumers.

We've put a lot of thought into these changes, and are excited about moving forward to make IC even better. Cheers!

-Brian & Matt

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nice move.

I always thought Price grabber links at the end of article conclusions would be a good idea.

If that means less dating ads (straight and gay alike lol) and more tech banners, I'm all for it :D

cheers :jared:
  • edited July 2008
    Glad to hear ic is moving to more relative ads!

Where will the Price Grabber link be placed, exactly?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Our PriceGrabber comparison shopping site is up. We'll be putting various links to it throughout the site, including a button in the header.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'm already a fan. I just looked up the price of a book I bought at borders last week and it was 10 dollars cheaper on price grabber. Now if only pricegrabber could teleport the things I want to my house instead of me having to wait for them to be shipped, my need for immediate satisfaction over price could be satisfied too....
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    The girl has immediate satisfaction needs.....:tongue:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Damn, could have saved $300 on my D300.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I searched for Voodoo 3 and got a lot of results for baseball bats.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I did a search for studs and TT's name kept coming up.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Kwitko wrote:
    I did a search for studs and TT's name kept coming up.

I'm not surprised. He IS the man of the year, you know.