The new "Big 3" American Breweries...

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Food & Drink
The traditional "Big 3" of American Brewing are now each a part of international conglomerates. Who's left?

Some really good beers. Slashfood has the details.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Shiner is #4!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I've always been a fan of Samuel Adams beers. Jim Koch has done a great job. Congrats Boston Brewing Co., and here's to you, the #1 American beer :cheers:

Also good to see Boulevard Brewing Co. at #8.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Yuengling is #2 and only sells their beer in a handful of states? Imagine the money they'd make if they'd open another plant.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Shiner is #4!

:icpimp::cheers::icpimp:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Gentleman, the really good beer is from the small, local "microbreweries," whether located in Germany, Kansas, or Alaska. Mass production may work for motherboards and motorcars, but not for beer. Two breweries that seem to buck that are Guinness and Sam Adams, but still, their non-mass produced counterparts are better, in my opinion.

To any American who relies on the big brands: Have you tried a local brewer lately? Don't have one in your area? Just wait, they are coming back!
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Leo, I've tried several "local" breweries and most of the junk they put in bottles isn't fit for someone used to Milwaukee's Best Ice. Frederick Brewing Co. (The local around here) barely puts anything worthwhile in bottles and I think their brews generally taste disgusting.

I've yet to find a decent local brewer. Hopefully someone does something about that.

Edit: Wanted to make a quick point about Yuengling. I went on their tour this summer, and the reason they haven't branched out more is a lack of ability to cover demand in other areas. They don't have the production capacity to even begin thinking about sending their brew to other states. They aren't even talking about expansion in the next couple years, as they just bought the new Tampa, FL facility.