Weight loss for people with hypothyroidism

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Fitness
black coffee
water

that's about all I drink anymore.

weight loss? none. I haven't lost any weight at all even though I've removed probably a cup of white sugar a week from my diet.

You take synthroid don't you? Weight loss for people with metabolic issues due to thyroid deficiency is much different.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    How different? What do I have to consider to form an actually effective weight loss plan? The most dramatic weight loss I've had in the last 5 years is when I went into deep depression after my wife cheated on me and I stopped eating for about a month. I lost 20 pounds but when I started eating normally again I went right back up.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    edited September 2008
    okay so there are devices that measure my actual BMR but what good does that do me?

Side note: That story is from '05 and the company that makes that meter is out of business.
    edited September 2008
    Also: some background

Around the time Perry was born, maybe 1997 or 1998, I gained weight rapidly, and I also started sleeping a LOT. 12-14 hours a day. I never had any energy, and even doing menial things left me breathless and sweaty. I got called lazy, etc.

I finally got health insurance and went to a doctor around 1999/2000. He diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and prescribed Synthroid, a small dose.

Over the years, my dosage has gradually increased and now I am on 200mcg/day

I've been told this is a lifetime therapy, there is no cure for what I have, and all I can do is manage it.

The fact that I'm on 200mcg/day indicates a serious lack of thyroid activity.
    Since 1997 I've probably gained 80-90 pounds.

There, so now.. How does a person with a severely underactive thyroid develop an effective weight loss plan?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Your BMR tells you how many calories your body is burning. The first step in any weight loss plan is knowing that value. Your BMR determines how you exercise, when you exercise, what you eat, when you eat, everything. Not knowing your BMR is like trying to drive without knowing what a car is.

I know the website is out of date, but I was linking it to show that there are tools out there that can determine the biggest factor in any plan you'll develop. You should really look into it, because it's the difference between struggling pointlessly and succeeding every day.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Your BMR tells you how many calories your body is burning. The first step in any weight loss plan is knowing that value. Your BMR determines how you exercise, when you exercise, what you eat, when you eat, everything. Not knowing your BMR is like trying to drive without knowing what a car is.

I know the website is out of date, but I was linking it to show that there are tools out there that can determine the biggest factor in any plan you'll develop. You should really look into it, because it's the difference between struggling pointlessly and succeeding every day.

BMR and all that goes right out the window when you thyroid doesn't know how to process food properly. Your thyroid is what regulates your metabolism. I think it's not a leap to suggest you are eating a great deal more than you think you may be without consistent exercise, but your body is working against you somewhat.

You should seek professional advice from your doctor or a nutritionist. I'm not really in a position to direct you when it comes to this stuff.
    edited September 2008
    i don't have a doctor or nutritionist.

* shrug *

Dr. Google for me, as usual.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    i don't have a doctor or nutritionist.

* shrug *

Dr. Google for me, as usual.

My roommate has the same condition, I'll talk to her for some more info. She is vegan and still has a lot of trouble keeping her weight under control.
  • edited May 2010
    I actually lost weight before I was diagnosed eating generic low carb. I just joined, I'm hoping others will too. I've struggled with thyroid problems since I was a teen. It is super hard for me to lose weight. I feel like I have to work twice as hard as everyone else. *sigh* this group could really be helpful and motivating. It's been a long journey because I started at over 300 (about 340), and was down to 280 before I was finally medicated.
    edited May 2010
    We do have to work twice as hard as everyone else.

Welcome to Icrontic.