Since it seems so popular...

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Fitness
After plenty of deliberation and having already discussed some things with Thrax, I decided I'm going to start working out again. My goal is going to be a bit different than everyone else, since I like to consider myself in fairly decent shape without steady working out (thank you genetics). My goal is pretty simple, get myself back to the shape I was in 2 years ago, trying to become an All-American for Track and Field. I'm a sprinter, it was my world for a long time and its beyond time for me to get back into it.

My goals, starting out, are to be:
  • Get back my squat max
  • Get back my power clean max
  • Run the 55m faster than 6.60s FAT (roughly 6.3 HT)(Indoor)
  • run the 100m faster than 11.1s FAT (10.9s HT)
  • Run the 200m faster than 23.6s FAT (23.4 HT) indoor and 22.8s FAT (22.6s) outdoor
  • Run the 400m faster than 53.0s FAT (51.0 HT) outdoor.

Considering I haven't run a competitive track meet in over 2 years, these are some lofty goals to reach for to start it seems, but I'm pretty quick to recover lost muscle strength and memory.

My goals, as a final "set point" are pretty simple and involve breaking most of the other ones. Specifically I must:
  • Run the 55m faster than 6.50s FAT
  • Run the 100m faster than 11.0s FAT
  • Run the 200m faster than 22.0s FAT
  • Run the 400m faster than 50.0s FAT
  • Decimate my own personal lifting records

When I get there. Then I'll set new goals. This starts tomorrow morning, bright and early at 5am. So I guess its time to start going to bed sooner.

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I got up this morning at 5am and went to the gym. I'm doing a modified workout from my old school's track and field team, with the knowledge that I don't have 2-3 hours to commit to training. That said, this morning consisted of:

Clean Pulls - 4x4
    Squat - 4x7
    Reverse Lunge - 3x8,8
    Chest Supported Row (machine) - 4x10
    Dumbell Incline Bench - 5x5

I was a little upset they didn't have a Glute/Ham raise machine, I'm going to talk to them about it...maybe convince them to get one (They're $200 for heaven sake)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2008
    Awesome! Keep the updates coming as you progress along.
    edited October 2008
    Well, I missed the boat this morning, but we'll just say that's because I was out late Wednesday night. Since I won't get to the gym tonight (travel for a wedding this weekend), I'm looking at doing a pretty intense Ab workout at the girlfriend's parent's house. So here's what the plan for this evening is (all 2 sets x 12 reps):

Prone elbowstand leg lift(L&R)
    Supine elbowstand leg lift(L&R)
    Prone handstand leg lift(L&R)
    Supine handstand leg lift(L&R)
    Side elbowstand bottom leg lift(L&R)
    Side handstand bottom leg lift (L&R)
    Side elbowstand top leg lift(L&R)
    Side handstand top leg lift(L&R)

Should be fun.
    edited October 2008
    Today was another repeat of last Wednesday. Unfortunately I didn't have the extra 20 min to wait on the line of 3 people using the one incline bench. So I skipped that...

Clean Pulls - 4x4 (+20lbs, welcome back power)
    Squat - 4x5 (+20lbs, lowered the reps but damn did it feel good having more weight)
    Reverse Lunge - 3x8,8 (+10lbs, these killed me after squat)
    Chest Supported Row (machine) - 4x10 (I really, really don't like these, but I do them anyway. +10lbs)

Overall I'm happy, but since I improved that much and am in less pain than before, I'm inclined to think I have a little bit more pushing to do.
    edited October 2008
    Hello Wednesday morning.

New stuff

Incline Bench 3x5 (45lbs, up 10lbs and still going)
    Power Clean 4x4 (I did all of 'em, which makes me extremely happy even though it was only 155lbs)
    Calf Raises 3 x 10 (machine 2 x 45lb, again happy)
    Single Leg DB DL 2 x 10 each leg (light weight, great stretch)

Random ab work because I ran out of things to do.

Overall I still feel good, energy is up, although I had problems getting out of bed. I'd like to focus on one muscle group, but it'd be impossible to fit that all into a 3 day workout schedule with ~1hr at the gym. Adjustments will be made, so we'll see.
    edited November 2008
    Well, after a 1.5 week break because of being busy at work and having to travel a bit, its time to get back in the gym. It'll be easier to get up now because the girlfriend joined too!
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Great news! I think going to the gym would be a great confidence booster for Heather.
    edited November 2008
    Not only did work get in the way, now I had to take a week off because of the accident and the residual crap from that. That said, I started off again this week and am feeling great.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited November 2008
    Hey, I know I'm new here but I've been going to the gym for years and my only recommendation is to avoid most of the machines. Also, when doing a chest workout, try to do a combo or Bench press + inc. press + dec. press. This will be a great workout for your whole chest area!

Note: In the begining you won't be able to lift much and may even be stuck at the same weight for a while (I know I was) but after a month you will start to feel stronger. You'll also find yourself looking for more weight and increases at a higher rate than before.

Hope this helps!
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited November 2008
    I think some of the machines do very well at isolating a given muscle group. Its also nice for breaking up your routine and avoiding plateaus. If you don't have a spotter they can be of great benefit as well as you can safely go heavier. I think free weights are the way to go also but I wouldn't discount the machines just because...
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited November 2008
    LawnMM wrote:
    I think some of the machines do very well at isolating a given muscle group. Its also nice for breaking up your routine and avoiding plateaus. If you don't have a spotter they can be of great benefit as well as you can safely go heavier. I think free weights are the way to go also but I wouldn't discount the machines just because...

Agreed yet I'd like to throw up one other plus for free weights. Free weights increase balance and stabilization which are a lot more useful for sports, outdoor activities, and dem break dance moves you've been hoping to land. :P