Powerlifting Competition

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited October 2008 in Fitness
Today I'm competing in my first powerlifting competition here at the University. I'm competing in the 165 weight class at my current weight of 159.

I'm actually coming off of being very sick and some minor back aches that are still lingering, so I don't think this will be my most powerful outing, but a start at least.

I'll post results later tomorrow.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Good luck. :)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Good luck!!! Don't suck!! :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Don't pee your pants or rip your arms out of their sockets.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Post pics! Also try not to let your anus prolapse.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    If any peeing or socket ripping happens, there better be video.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Just a short update, I'll try to grab pictures later. I placed first in my weight class (weighed in at 159).

Squat: 305
    Bench: 205
    Deadlift: 385

Total: 895
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Fantastic Nomad.. Nice work :cool::rockon: :thumbup
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    :cheers:
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    damn, nice bench - that's awesome. Congrats :jared:
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    Good job dude
    edited October 2008
    Okay, so a more complete thought of what happened on Friday.

I showed up about an hour early for the meet, as I was quite nervous. I was pleased to find that there were other people in my weight class though. Sometimes lower weight classes have virtually no one.

Squat was the first part of the competition. This was what I found myself most worried about. I hit 315 off a set of parallel pins back at the end of August, but stopping on pins and pushing versus doing a free squat is quite different. Since August, I hadn't even come close to that anyhow.

For those not familiar with meets, you get three attempts at the lift, your best one counts. However, if you fail on a weight, for your next attempt you cannot go down in weight. You have to try it again.

My first attempt I hit 260 which felt relatively easy, it was a max of mine from the spring. My second I hit 285, something I was hoping I would get for my third attempt. So for my third attempt, I was in relatively unknown territory. I decided to try 305, and in the middle of the up portion I got stuck dead. I barked at the spotters not to touch the weight (if they do, the lift is over).

I broke through the midpoint, but my legs were pushing with such vigor that once I came to the top of my lift, I actually moved the weight up off my back and into the air about three or four inches. It stung a little coming back down on my neck.

Next, I went to bench and hit 195 for my first. My second attempt I put on 205 and just absolutely could not lock out the weight. I was pissed because I was hoping to hit 215. For my third attempt I had to do 205 again, but this time when I did it, I put a little more concentration into it and the bar came up a lot easier. Little miffed, could have done better.

By the time we got to deadlifts, I was starting to feel fatigued and hungry. I'd been there for an hour and a half. One of the problems is you cool down waiting to go for your next lift again.

I was a bit more cautious with my deadlift. Since being sick and having a bit of back ache, I was just hoping to get close to my gym max. I opened with 365 for my first lift, and on my second lift I hit 385 but it took a lot out of me. So much that I didn't even try for a third lift (I still have not yet hit 405).

Next closest guy to me in my weight class totaled in at 735, so that was a good surprise.
    edited October 2008
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    When do we get the speedo "flex" shot?
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Excellent work! What were you listening to?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Kickass! Good job, Nomad!
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    StainMeNow wrote:
    Excellent work! What were you listening to?

Celine Dion for sure...:D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Impressive! Congrats!
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Congratulations!! I'm glad you didn't suck.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2008
    Grats Nomad!