Wireless Access point vs. Wireless range expander

edited November 2008 in Science & Tech
Ok, i had a wireless network set up in my house and everyth was fine. I had a "Linksys" router and a linksys wireless access point. The router somehow doesnt work anymore .. i got a new one, its a "speedtouch" though, so i noticed the wireless ap doesnt work anymore .. A frnd told me they wont work(the router and ap)unless theyr the same type.is that true ?
Do i get a linksys wireless router ?? ..would the ap work again ?? .. and let me be clear.the access point i was using was only plugged into the power.nothing else, no wires connecting to the wireless router or anyth.. A network guy just told me no way the Access point wasnt connected to the router using a wire. He just got me so confused i actually doubt myself now.The network guy is telling me i should get a range expander and that a wireless ap wont .
What should i do ?? ..

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Keep the wireless AP and keep the router. When you switched out the router did you change the configuration of the AP? You should just need to go back and redo the set-up on the AP for the new router: correct MAC-address, SSID(if it changed), and encryption(if its changed).
  • edited November 2008
    mm.. I dont know how to do that ^^".
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2008
    Your going to need to get all the wireless info from your new router. Then you'll have to connect the access point to your router and reset the access point. Then you need to run the linksys software that came with the access point so you can log onto it and reprogram it with the new wireless info.

As far as the networking guy he's not wrong. A traditional access point has to be plugged into the router. However what you have isn't a traditional access point. Most home based ones do dual mode as either wireless access points or wireless repeaters as well as acting as a lan extension so you can plug in a game device into them.