Steam servers.

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech
Ever since I got a new netgear router I have been having trouble connecting to servers through steam, especially with cs:s. I googled some information about port forwarding/triggering and tried to set it up, but I still can't connect.

When I try to connect to a game on counterstrike for example, I get a message saying "Unable to connect to server." Half the time I can't even load a list of the servers.

I have no idea what to do and it's getting very frustrating.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Does your new route block OUTBOUND access or have port restrictions? Steam is very NAT aware, so should traverse your connection without incident (as a general rule). Any other firewalling in place?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    This may help you get all the settings right.
    It has some pretty good guides/reviews and support forums on the subject.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2008
    Shorty wrote:
    Does your new route block OUTBOUND access or have port restrictions? Steam is very NAT aware, so should traverse your connection without incident (as a general rule). Any other firewalling in place?

I play on xbox live almost every day with no problems, and I know some games like Halo 3 are also very NAT aware. On some of the xbox live loading screens it even says something about opening your NAT.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2008
    Its because Netgear routers = EPIC FAIL :(
    I have a netgear router and I get nothing but problems from it, it overheats, gives poor signal, it is fast though. It randomly disconnects too. The adapter that came with it for my pc is even worst. IT overheats all the time, making my pc freeze because of IRQ errors. Netgear also admit that this router has problems, they even have a dedicated section on their forums for this router and wireless problems!
    So far my experiance with wireless has been very poor :( I bought some sweex wireless adapter and its much better, not as fast, but doesnt randomyl disconnect very often, it does get lag spikes though on games, all games, you can play fine for 3 minutes, then it freezes for 3 seconds, then play for another 3 mins then freeze etc. Becomes very annoying because it makes me loose quite a few games, im running around happily, i freeze, then i unfreeze and ive run 20 feet and im dead :P
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2008
    Lift the lid of the bin and drop the thing in. Then pop along to your local PC shop and buy a Linksys.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2008
    I'll second that :D
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2008
    If you don't mind the security risk just turn on UPNP it will foward the necessary ports and dynamically configure your firewall rules for you. (aka break the security of your firewall)

Or Asus router (ASUS WL-500g Premium ) and throw tomato or dd-wrt on it. And have a good solution with twice the amount of ram that you will ever need (32megs in the asus, dd-wrt flys on it).