Corsair HX620W Power Supply review

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    Would dual 4870's push this PSU too far?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Nope.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Although one anecdotal account certainly doesn't make a trend, I can tell that I am completely satisfied with this PSU. I have the same model, which I've been running for about a year and a half. (I don't know what, if any differences there are with the new ones.) The system it runs has a Q6600 with a 1.2GHz overclock and one each 8800GT and 9800GT, both overclocked. Both video cards and the CPU run 24/7 at nearly 100% load, Folding@Home, without a hiccup whatsoever. It's my main home computer so I frequently have multiple browser windows open simultaneously with the Folding in addition to MS Office and Open Office applications. At least in my experience, this is one of the best hardware components I've ever put in a computer.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited November 2008
    I also have this power supply. I've been very satisfied with it. One thing that does concern me is its modular cabling. I once read an interview where someone at OCZ was being interviewed. I don't remember the details, but I remember him giving a compelling argument against modular cabling. It was something to do with electrical resistance at every split juncture.

I think this review i spot on.This power supply is good for the average overclocker like myself. It is more than enough for those who don't overclock. But for those looking for the pinnacle of performance, a higher end non-module power supply should be sought after.

One thing I wonder about is if it better to use up every connection on on a branch or is it better to only use one plug on a branch per device if possible. If anyone has an answer to that I'd appreciate it if that could respond.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    I think I'll add this and another 4870 to my arsenal. :rolleyes:
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Didn't dras write this article? Good work to whoever did!

/edit: ok I see his name now in .0000001em at the bottom ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Dras kindly provided lots great of technical data for this article, but I did all of the writing. :) I'm trying to fix that 1em shite.