If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

The Icrontic Gun Thread

Comments

• _k__k_ P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited Sep 2008
    Well most guns will shoot really well it just takes a new better barrel. Well that upper receiver would work find, just watch out with NDS-22 because flat tops with rear sights don't have as much elevation change possible as single blocks. As well as, if you use scope on that you need to re-zero each time it comes off and have to make sure it doesn't get loose if you leave it on there for a time.

But "competition" is something people like to stick on those small bore rifles. Its just a rifle that can shoot really well, and everyone starts with something basic. There should be a section in the forum or FAQ about what good base bolt rifles would be to start with as a building platform.
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2008
    i haven't shot in so long......

my favorite was a .44 magnum taurus. we would load it up with a mix of full and light loads so that i would never know when the "big" bang would go off.

.....and one time i shot a friend's little .22 matchpistol and fell positively in love. a pure joy to shoot. never thought i would care for lighter calibers.

it's been to long. very sad.
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada
    edited Nov 2008
    As someone posted above, taking a trip to the range is a great way to release stress. I try to go a couple times a week, however in the winter that isn't always possible. I don't hunt, nor do I have any intentions to. However moose and sheep meat taste great. I just punch paper and silouettes for fun.

My "collection"

Springfield Armory XD9mm
    Norinco M77B 9mm
    CZ75 9mm
    Ruger SR9mm
    SigSauer Mosquito .22
    Norinco M14 (308)
    Ruger 1022 (.22)
    CZ858 (7.62x39)
    Russian SKS-D (7.62x39)
    12ga 12.5" barrel (bear gun)
    12ga 18.0" barrel (skeet, etc)
  • jaredjared College Station, TX
    edited Nov 2008
    Ah good thread. I'll add to it with a question.

Currently I don't own any hand guns, just a deer rifle and a shotgun.

I'm thinking about getting a Glock sometimes after Christmas. I've shot one before and thought it had a pretty good feel and the price is good :D

Anyone else have one or have any suggestions for a hand gun similar?

:jared:
    edited Nov 2008
    Sig....thats it, you buy. My fathers carry is a 9mm Sig with a short barrel, and its one of their certified used ones. I am actually looking at buying my own Sig, short barrel, this Christmas in the .357. They have really nice triggers on them from the factory, just enough travel in the them and just a fairly constant pull with little over travel after the hammer falls. Very easy for just a point and shoot out to about 30 yards or so due to the short sight radius, the longer barrels will be easier to shoot with some practice.

Though one of the indoor ranges we go to the owner only rents out Sigs and Glocks period because they don't break....as often as everything else. I know a lot of people that love their Glocks, they are a lot nicer pistol now.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Nov 2008
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited Nov 2008
    Jared, for a handgun, check out the Glocks and new Springfield XD pistols. Both are nice guns. You've just gotta find something that fits your hand. A 9mm is a great caliber for a pistol. It packs a decent punch unlike a .22, yet is still inexpensive enough for plinking with. If you don't like "plastic" guns, a CZ75 or Browning Hi-Power make a good choice. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

Nice collection Riptide. Looks like you're well set for punching holes in paper. I haven't been to the range in forever, but hope to do it soon. I've got a Yugo 8mm Mauser coming soon that needs broken in, and my friend's dad has some other military surplus guns that we'd like to shoot. I'm considering buying a 1895 Nagant revolver soon. They're $70 and one of the few revolvers ever that can be suppressed.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited Nov 2008
    guns are terrible¡¡¡¡ (for those of you in the IRC channel)
  • LincLinc Community Instigator Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2008
    And for those not in the IRC channel, the upside-down exclamation mark is known as the sarcasm mark.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited Nov 2008
    Buddy J, just bought an AK-47 myself. I pick it up Nov 28th. It's pre-ban, 30rnd clip with 6 position stock 762x39 threaded barrel. It's the Romanian WASR which isn't known for the best quality, but it was new and I got a pretty good deal on it.

The rest of my collection is fairly modest:
    9mm Taurus PT-99 with preban 15rnd and 18rnd clips
    12gauge single shot shot shotgun
    Old .410 bolt action with 5 rnd fixed clip (ya,... it's weird)
    Couple of semi-auto .22s
    edited Nov 2008
    Chip said:
    Buddy J, just bought an AK-47 myself. I pick it up Nov 28th. It's pre-ban, 30rnd clip with 6 position stock 762x39 threaded barrel. It's the Romanian WASR which isn't known for the best quality, but it was new and I got a pretty good deal on it.

The rest of my collection is fairly modest:
    9mm Taurus PT-99 with preban 15rnd and 18rnd clips
    12gauge single shot shot shotgun
    Old .410 bolt action with 5 rnd fixed clip (ya,... it's weird)
    Couple of semi-auto .22s
    Cool Chip! I didn't know you shot. DeathJester has a WASR-10. It took a bit of tinkering to get it to work right, but now it shoots like an AK should. We found that replacing the steel magazines with modern Bulgarian poly mags made for a tighter fit in the magwell. No more feed problems.

Looks like you're all set. Have you taught your kids to shoot the .22s yet?
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada
    edited Nov 2008
    Buddy J said:
    Jared, for a handgun, check out the Glocks and new Springfield XD pistols. Both are nice guns. You've just gotta find something that fits your hand. A 9mm is a great caliber for a pistol. It packs a decent punch unlike a .22, yet is still inexpensive enough for plinking with. If you don't like "plastic" guns, a CZ75 or Browning Hi-Power make a good choice. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

Nice collection Riptide. Looks like you're well set for punching holes in paper. I haven't been to the range in forever, but hope to do it soon. I've got a Yugo 8mm Mauser coming soon that needs broken in, and my friend's dad has some other military surplus guns that we'd like to shoot. I'm considering buying a 1895 Nagant revolver soon. They're $70 and one of the few revolvers ever that can be suppressed.
    Yeah, I love my SP XD 9mm. Mine has a longer barrel than I was expecting when I ordered it, but it's great at the range. Seeing how Canadians cannot get a CCW, this really isn't an issue. The CZ is in the mail, so I haven't had the pleasure yet, but from what I hear it's a great little shooter. As for Sigs, I keep looking for a good deal on a p220, as this will be my next pistol (for the very reasons stated above).
  • edited Nov 2008
    Here's a pic of 4 of my pistols. From top left: 1. Husqvarna .380 auto 2. Magnum Research Desert Eagle .44 Mag 3. S&W Model 27 .357 Mag 4. Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maximum

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited Nov 2008
    The Ruger Blackhawk looks amazing. Nice collection.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited Nov 2008
    Buddy J said:
    Cool Chip! I didn't know you shot. DeathJester has a WASR-10. It took a bit of tinkering to get it to work right, but now it shoots like an AK should. We found that replacing the steel magazines with modern Bulgarian poly mags made for a tighter fit in the magwell. No more feed problems.

Looks like you're all set. Have you taught your kids to shoot the .22s yet?
    I heard of a little mag wobble and trigger slap issues. What's strange is I can't find my exact model in any WASR search. Here's the exact AK-47 I bought at gunbroker.com I'm guessing all the WASRs have the mag wobble and trigger slap issue. Since I'm picking it up at a gun show, I'll probably look for a mag there that has a tight fit. Although I suspect they won't allow me to test fit the mag in my gun at the gun show.

The kids haven't shot the .22s yet. They need to learn basic gun safety. I bought my son a cheapo AK-47 airsoft knockoff to learn with.
    edited Nov 2008
    You're right Chip. The WASRs are most often imported by Century Arms to the US. From the factory, they have single-stack magazines. Century gets them and re-cuts the mag well to allow for a double stack magazine, and then they install US-made parts to make them compliant with import laws. Century's staff is known for being messy with this work, leaving the mag-well a bit too big, and the trigger group they install is what causes the slap. You can fix the trigger slap with some quick dremel work, and the Bulgarian Arsenal magazines fit tight and will fix the wobble you'll find in metal mags. The Bulgarian Arsenal proof marks their products with a Circle 10 stamp. If you see the number 10 in a circle, it should be a legit product. Also, a recoil buffer is a really cheap way to make shooting the AK more enjoyable.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited Nov 2008
    BuddyJ, thanks for the info. That's great info and stuff I hadn't read anywhere else. Man that saves me a lot of time. I'm fairly decent with the Dremel, so that's no biggie. It looks like I'm well on my way to a decent rifle. Unfortunately, if the system is as you described, I think the increased demand for the WASR AK's will lead to pressure to push them out faster, thus probably more lax standards.
    edited Nov 2008
    No problem man. I know you're handy with a Dremel after your Guitar Hero controller project. Anything to help. After all, you've helped me numerous times!
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Nov 2008
    drasnor said:
    I used to do some target shooting in the Boy Scouts with a Ruger .22 bolt action rifle and open sights. I wouldn't mind having one of those, cycling the action on a bolt action is most satisfying.

-drasnor :fold:
    Hell yes, rifle shooting merit badge is the shit.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited Nov 2008
    Lord Canti said:
    Hell yes, rifle shooting merit badge is the shit.
    :) I got mine!
    edited Nov 2008
    I never got the rifle one. I got shotgun though. That was a blast!

sorry for the bad pun.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited Nov 2008
    I picked up my AK-47 at the Dallas gun show today. Whoa was that an experience. I've been to the big D gun show before, but it's never been like this. Obama has certainly stirred the redneck pot. The line to get in was well over a quarter mile long and growing by the second. It was out the door, down the sidewalk, through the parking lot and almost out the end of the huge parking lot. Almost half of the firearms were AR-15 and AK-47 variants. It looks like I got a decent deal on my '47, but you could pick up folding stock '47's in good condition for $650.

AR-15s were $1100 on up with truckloads of brand new ones.
    I bought 7.62x39mm ammo 1000 rounds for $260. I also picked up 3 Tapco poly mags for $20 a piece for the 30 round mags. In retrospect, I should have gone for the 40 round for $10 more and Bulgarian made. My Tapco mags are going to require some slight sanding. They fit too tight. I can barely get them back out. I'll have to inspect carefully to see exactly what to sand.

The hand guard and butt are poly so it'll certainly last, but nothing pretty to look at. Wifey says it looks like a toy. I hope to post pics soon.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Nov 2008
    jared said:
    Ah good thread. I'll add to it with a question.

Currently I don't own any hand guns, just a deer rifle and a shotgun.

I'm thinking about getting a Glock sometimes after Christmas. I've shot one before and thought it had a pretty good feel and the price is good :D

Anyone else have one or have any suggestions for a hand gun similar?

:jared:
    In addition to Buddy J's suggestions of Glock and Springfield XD I would also suggest checking out the Smith and Wesson M&P series as they offer a reliable pistol with interchangeable backstraps in a variety of calibers. 9mm is a bit cheaper to shoot than .45 so if you aren't bent on one caliber over another I'd look at some 9mm pistols. The calibers perform with negligible differences using modern hollow point ammo.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2008
    was shooting a Walther 9mm the other day UNBELIEVABLE best hand gun to date i have shot
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2008
    Hardcore .45 acp fan, that's all I have for this thread for now.

(Maybe some pics in the near future ;-) )
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Dec 2008
    GnomeWizardd said:
    was shooting a Walther 9mm the other day UNBELIEVABLE best hand gun to date i have shot
    One of the P99s?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited Dec 2008
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited Dec 2008
    Leonardo said:
    Some of the most fun I've had at the range has been with magnum caliber pistols. Favorite range gun now is an M1 Garand with my own 30.06 loads. I also have another WWII gun (WWI also), an M1903, which I haven't fired yet. I haven't reloaded yet since moving back to Alaska. overdue
    Nice, Leo. I like shooting older military rifles as well. I just got a new .303 British that was carried in the Korean war (Been in my friend's extended family, I just bought it from his uncle). It still shoots true with a great, crisp pull and the bolt action is perfect. The stock is gorgeous, original hardwood with the expected wear and tear, but no serious damage. The blued barrel has no rust; obviously been well oiled and cared for all these years. I already love this rifle. Has original flip-up iron sights, but I put a Leupold 3x-9x 40mm on it for the deer season.

Ed: Oh, and the best part? I paid 175 for it!
    edited Dec 2008
    An Enfield, Khaos? I love Enfields. My buddy here just was given a Savage Enfield by his dad. Savage made the guns in the US and then the government lend-leased them to the UK during the war I guess. It's a great gun. Absolutely beautiful.

I just picked up a Yugoslavian m24/47 8mm Mauser today. It's still sticky from the cosmoline and being stuck in arsenal storage for close to 50 years but it's absolutely awesome. The numbers match, the stock is great with all sorts of character, and the action is smooth. The crew at FamilyFirearmsAndFinishes.com did a great job picking it for me. I'm very pleased.

Mudd, what's the story on your Husky pistol? Is it a civilian issue one, or one of the military contract guns? I just learned about them a few days ago when, again, my buddy's dad showed me his. I guess it's a Browning design. Pretty cool.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited Dec 2008
    An Enfield, Khaos? I love Enfields. My buddy here just was given a Savage Enfield by his dad. Savage made the guns in the US and then the government lend-leased them to the UK during the war I guess. It's a great gun. Absolutely beautiful.
    At this point, Peter, all I know for sure about it is that it's an Enfield that was built later, after WWII and then carried by a relative of my buddy's uncle - so I suppose a relative of my buddy - in the Korean War.

Yes, they are beautiful guns indeed and a joy to shoot. Prior to purchasing this last week I did not know too much about the history of the .303, so I spent some time reading up on it, but mostly on its use and manufacture during WWII as well as the myriad of surplus ammo available. The articles I found only made passing mention of its later use in the Korean War and subsequent resupply to many other nations after the conclusion of the Korean theater.

I also learned that they apparently made a bunch of boat-tailed .303 ammo for Viking II machine guns that made its way onto the surplus market and it eats up the rifling. That's no good!

Before this particular Enfield I had shot another Enfield, an older one that I was told was WWII-era, and it too shot very well. It was beat to shit and the sights were off, but once I figured out how to line it up it was perfect. After shooting that older .303 and then seeing the condition of this one that I bought, I knew I had to have it.

Something about flip-up iron sights... They're just great. For whatever reason, as I draw down flip sights I always visualize that Western movie about the guy with the huge-ass .50 who snipes people from range with that massive iron peek-through. Helps me focus, goofy as that may sound.

This weekend when we're out at the hunt shack I will make sure to scribble down the serial number, maybe I can figure out the exact origins of this rifle. I'll take a picture of it after I get a chance to clean it and oil it down.

I must say I am a little surprised to find so many firearms enthusiasts here at IC. Pleasantly surprised, surely.
    I just picked up a Yugoslavian m24/47 8mm Mauser today. It's still sticky from the cosmoline and being stuck in arsenal storage for close to 50 years but it's absolutely awesome. The numbers match, the stock is great with all sorts of character, and the action is smooth. The crew at FamilyFirearmsAndFinishes.com did a great job picking it for me. I'm very pleased.
    Sounds like a fantastic find!

I think if I owned a Mauser my family would disown me. Haha. I am German, nearly full blood, but my family came here at the onset of WWII and both of my grandfathers then flew B17 missions over Berlin in the USAF. Those wounds just don't heal, unfortunately, when you have Nazis publicly executing your family members because you're a 'traitor'. My paternal grandfather was a fairly well known German mathematician who opposed the war. =/
    edited Dec 2008
    You might find http://www.surplusrifle.com/ to be a good asset in figuring out what you've got. Their website and accompanying forum is a wealth of good information.

The Mauser design predates WWI and was licensed to countries around the world. Even the United States got in on the action (bad pun) and used the Mauser as the basis for the 1903 Springfield rifle that saw service between WWI and Vietnam. I'm sure there's one you could own without risking family strife. ;)
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA
    edited May 2011
    Time for another Thread Necro Champion citation................;D
    Khaos said:
    .............I must say I am a little surprised to find so many firearms enthusiasts here at IC. Pleasantly surprised, surely............

So what has been going on with this one after a really good start??? Not a hunter but a paper puncher (or was :sad2:) but life has required me to sell off all of my personal weapons. :tim:

Matter of fact the wife owns all weapons in the house hold both center fire and rim fire! :hair:
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I hunt, personally grouse hunting is my favorite, and I currently own both a pump action four-ten, and a double-barrel over-under break action 12 gauge that I won in a random drawing :D
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I bought this back in April, had it about a month.
    http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_2.html

Really happy with it so far.
    edited May 2011
    RyderOCZ said:
    I bought this back in April, had it about a month.
    http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_2.html

Really happy with it so far.

Does that come with the adjustable back strap like the Walther P99?? I have a small hand with short pudgy fingers.......:wink:
    edited May 2011
    jedihobbit said:
    Does that come with the adjustable back strap like the Walther P99?? I have a small hand with short pudgy fingers.......:wink:
    Yes sir, the kit comes with 3 backstraps. The kit this comes with is actually huge. The contents are: nice solid carrying case, paddle holster, magazine "holster" that holds 2 magazines, speed loader, lock, the 3 backstraps and 2 19 round magazines.

Picture of the kit: http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/gallery_case.html#
  • AnnesAnnes Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    What have you been using your handgun for, Ryder?
    edited May 2011
    So far just been shooting targets, hard drives, propane bottles, water jugs, etc out at my folks. Nearest range is about 20 min away, have a friend who is a member so I may go shoot with him soon.

It is also handy to carry around the property to get rid of the varmints (muskrat, snapping turtles, etc) that inhabit (and destroy what we actually want there) the ponds.

In case anyone was wondering, you can add hard drives (the spinning type) to the list of Mythbuster approved "bulletproof" items in your home. If you get invaded, hold up your tower case and hope it hits the hard drive.
    The platters stopped a 9mm and a .45 ACP round at 50 feet. It has to hit the platters though.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    Just started shooting smallbore prone and metric matches with an Anschutz 1813 glass bedded and a Zurn barrel with a bloop-tube on it. Really incredible to shoot and see exactly how accurate some things can be.
    edited May 2011
    _k_ said:
    Just started shooting smallbore prone and metric matches with an Anschutz 1813 glass bedded and a Zurn barrel with a bloop-tube on it. Really incredible to shoot and see exactly how accurate some things can be.

Shot smallbore three position as a yout a long time ago in a............:wink: With an old Mossberg "hunting rifle" with Lyman "peep" sights. Always was jealous of the cats that could affored the Anschutz and BSAs! :rolleyes:
    edited May 2011
    My hat is off to you. I don't think I would do very well with three position, that off hand target epp.

The 1813 is actually my fathers. He was looking for one and ran across a friend selling one that was comparatively cheap, a situation where you know you won't find as good of a deal so you just buy it and worry about the money later. Kind of like when he ran across an unfired Garand made in the year he was born, you just do it.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I sold out of firearms years ago, ammo prices.
    I still have a few long guns but haven't fired in years.

These days it is all pellet rifles. Mostly German spring guns.
    they take care of pests also and the neighbors don't notice
    edited May 2011
    _k_ said:
    My hat is off to you. I don't think I would do very well with three position, that off hand target epp.............

Just said I participated, didn't say I was good!! ;D

BTW as some stated in the old postings.....while I shot NRA Jr. Boys Scouts was one of my training sources also.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Oh, how could I have missed this thread for the past 2.5 yrs? I haven't met a firearm i didn't like. As long as they wasn't pointed in my direction. I have 2 HUGE safes full of all sorts of weaponry. ;) I have handguns in the single shot, semi-auto and revolver types in a wide array of calibers from .22 to a couple 454 Casul revolvers. I really like 357 and 44 mags for target work and hand load for those as well. I used to be a very "dyed in the wool" 45ACP type but have slithered into 40S&W a couple years ago. As a matter of fact my current fav semi-auto is a 40 cal Heckler&Koch P2000. It is not only as tough and accurate as they come but quite pretty as well. It is the only handgun I own that has absolutely no preferance to any one ammo. It can shoot a very tight group with as many brands and bullet weights as I can aquire at one time. That is a phenomenon I have never seen before as it will shoot the cheapest Russian crap and the best ammo to the same POI (point of impact) and just as tight.

I have several shotguns from a single shot .410 to a monster 10ga goose gun. My favs are my italian made .410 side by side and my Ruger "English Grade" Red Label 12ga. I like shooting trap and skeet a lot with the Ruger.

Then I have over 30 centerfire rifles in calibers like 22-250, 243 Winchester, 6.5-06, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 308 (7.62x54 NATO), 7mm Mag, 338 Winchester Mag, 375 H&H Mag, 416 Rigby and a custom 470 Capstick. I have Winchester, Remington, Sako, Galil, Valmet an a total of 3 custom built jobs.

Here are a couple pics of my current fav, the H&K P2000.

left side - Copy.JPG
    1 x 1 - 227K
    main - Copy.JPG
    1 x 1 - 241K
  • GargoyleGargoyle Illinois Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I don't own any guns and thus have precious little to contribute to this conversation.

But I do have this:

I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. There's another one of him shooting a 40mm machine gun that's worth checking out. The largest machine gun a civilian can own.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I LOVE FPS Russia, but I can't get over his fake accent. I understand why he does it and that his fake accent is how he kinda got to where he is, but it still grates on my ears a bit.
  • I have a 1944 No.1 Mark 3 and I shot a grouse in the head at 100 yds. I put a 8x18 by 40mm scope on this old girl. I like the old gun but need something faster and flater shooting for the things I want to shoot at. I want to be able to hit a dime at 110 yds and not even have to think about it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    Oh hey, forgot about this thread.

Recently I went shooting with @charshie. Had some fun with the M4A2. Brilliant weapon, extremely accurate, lightweight, smooth action. All that being said, though, the weapon did jam the first time I primed it :rolleyes:

Target paper was a hostage situation with the enemy behind a woman being used as a shield. I put 6/7 in his head, the 7th was just a touch outside. Counter-Terrorists win.
    Since the Springfield from my earlier post in this thread was deemed unworthy of remaining in my possession, I have just recently purchased this little gem. I have only had the opportunity to shoot it once so far (30 rounds or so) but it feels even better in my hand than the Springfield did.