NO SOUND

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech
I own a Dell desktop with P4 and XP pro (not to be confused with the dead computer in another thread). The computer was "retired" from my office, so I am now using it at home (to replace the dead computer from the other thread).

In any event, I reinstalled the Windows OS (previously XP pro) with Windows XP pro. I am updating everything and reinstalling the programming but I have no sound. Control Panel > Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices shows "No Audio Device."

Call me a computer illiterate. I have the speakers hooked to the speakers on my Hanns-G HN199D monitor (I know the sound sucks, but I have a Bose radio/CD player less than five feet away). I tried to install the
"Realtek AC'97 Driver" without success (caused my computer to crash during the installation process) and the "VIA Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver" (which I apparently installed successfully) but I still have "No Audio Device."

Call me computer illiterate, but what do I need to install to simply get sound to my lousy Hanns-G speakers?

HELP

Jim

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You'll need to install the Microsoft UAA bus driver prior to installing audio drivers. This is the unknown PCI Device that must be enabled before HD audio devices can be detected by Windows.

Please download and install the package from here.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Also... being that I work on several hundred Dell's a year (no joke), please give the actual model so we can pinpoint potential issues and the proper resolution. ;)
    edited November 2008
    Vanagon, we just published a more thorough article regarding your situation today: http://icrontic.com/articles/office-hours-8-fixing-high-def-audio-drivers
  • edited November 2008
    go to dell support/download site... search for your laptop drivers (latest would be best) download and install them... that should fix it! otherwise do a belarc to see your exact board chipset - then get the right driver from manufacturer
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited November 2008
    Here is what I have so far.

I downloaded the “motherboard” from Thrax’s first link. It put a folder labeled “MSHDQFE” on my desktop. In that folder were two folders labeled “Win2K3" and “Win2K_XP”. I opened Win2K_XP and in that folder were 26 folders labeled with country abbreviations and “ASetup”.
    I double-clicked ASetup (probably more than once) and nothing really happened. I opened the “us” folder and found “Install” and “kb835221". Double-clicking Install ran an install wizard and said kb835221 was successfully installed. For good measure I double-clicked kb835221 and got an install wizard that also stated kb835221 was successfully installed.

After rebooting, I still have no audio device.

I downloaded “mskb888111-uaa” and extracted the files and read the new article at Thrax’s link. I am stuck at Step 4.

Here is a screenshot of my device drivers and installed programs. For what it’s worth, it shows kb835221 as installed.

Where do I go from here?

This is a Dimension 3000 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional purchased in March 2005. I have installed all the Windows updates including SP3.

DeviceManager.jpg
    edited November 2008
    It looks like your sound card is disabled in the BIOS. With the UAA driver installed (which you definitely need), it should appear in your device manager. Because it does not, it's either disabled or broken.
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so how do I check to see if it is disabled or broken?

Could it have simply come loose when the computer was moved?

Not sure where to go from here.

The computer definitely came with a sound card and it was working when the computer was unhooked at my office.
    edited November 2008
    It probably just came loose. Remove it and insert it into a new slot. :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    So... this Dell Dimension 3000 had a PCI sound card instead of the integrated ADI sound? If it an PCI sound card, the BIOS should have nothing to do with the card not working. Dell does not list a sound card other than the internal ADI sound. If the system DOES have a PCI sound card you will need to remove it and look for a product name/ model number so we can help find the driver for you.

If you are using the integrated ADI Sound here is what I would recommend...

1. Intel Chipset Driver
    2. System Software
    3. Sound Driver
    4. Network Driver
    edited November 2008
    According to the Order detail, the "sound card" is "Integrated Audio."

I take it this means that my "sound card" is not loose . . . .
    edited November 2008
    That does indeed mean that.
    edited November 2008
    I'M GETTING VERY CLOSE.

I actually have sound from my speakers, and it is the correct sound from the Windows Media Player for example. HOWEVER, the sound is very weak. I have to turn the volume all the way up to max on both my monitor speakers and the WMP. At that point, the sound is about what I would expect from slightly less than midrange volume.

And my Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices still shows "No Audio Device."

I downloaded and installed the four drivers recommended by QCH2002. After installing the first and second, I received the "New Hardware" message for the speakers on reboot. Try as I might, I was unable to install a driver. The audio device did show as a "Question Mark" on my Device Manager Menu.

After installing the third download, "SoundMax", I no longer received the "New Hardware" message for the speakers on reboot. I noticed no difference after the fourth download (although at some point the computer did recognize the ethernet connection as I no longer have the Question Mark and I get a message: "Local Area Connection A network cable is unplugged." No problem, I'm used to seeing this message at home.)

In any event, here is what I have now:

desktop2.jpg

As you can see, I have "System Speaker" under "System Devices." But, I have no drivers installed for the System Speaker and my Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices still shows "No Audio Device." Also, I have no volume control in my system tray.

Thank you for all the assistance, but I really would like to take this to the next level and get this set up properly. I am really not an idiot, but I am out of my league when it comes to hardware. I have made multiple attempts at installing a driver without success. I guess I need a little more guidance, with a step-by-step set of instructions.

Thanks for all your assistance. (BTW, I often get sidetracked on the weekends, so a lack of input from me over the next few days does not necessarily mean the problem is solved.)