EMERGENCY PC will not boot

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Hardware
hi guys,

okay so i was fiddling around with my friends pc which was working fine previously. its a gigabyte motherboard GA-P35-DS3R with a core 2 duo proc and a ATI HD4850.

i wanted to test my graphics card and psu with this pc and hence unplugged the relevant power plugs and put in my psu and graphics card.. i removed 1 ram stick in the process. pc POSTed but didnt bother going into OS (i turned it off quickly, not sure if it got to the windows load screen) and then started putting back the original parts back in (including the RAM stick)

Now, when booting, it POSTs but is not able to load the OS and continously restarts right after the POST screen. It detects the RAM, SATA hdd and IDE cdrom while POSTing. Cant boot into safe mode either. I rechecked all the connections and cleared the CMOS several times but still cant figure out the problem?!

urgent help needed please, thanks in advance

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Are you certain the bios settings didn't change in some meaningful way?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Is there any error shown before the restart occurs? If possible, try booting from a windows install disk.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    im pretty sure the BIOS settings didnt, but i tried messing around with AHPI RAID IDE settings, ram timings and taking out the battery for 10 mins + resetting to default settings to no avail

no error shown before the restart occurs, it just goes into the screen right before the windows loading screen where you normally see the option to boot from CDROM etc etc

i did try to boot from a windows CD as i suspected a corrupt master boot record but even the option "Press Any Key to boot from CDROM" (despite setting cdrom to first boot option) did not appear which normally should even if a cd was not bootable.

It seems as if the pc just "kills" itself before attempting to boot from any option. any ideas?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It could be that something became unseated and/or its a heat problem at this point.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    i did double check the connections and so did the guy at the shop when i took the mobo to RMA it. still had the reboot loop nonsense when running out of the case barebones. they figured it was sth wrong with the mobo and are sending it back.

i reckon it could have been my new PSU (460w rating) which i tried on the pc. i attempted connecting it up to one of my dell pcs but it wouldnt even POST and had an error beep. i thought i had fried it when reconnecting the stock PSU wouldnt make it boot but clearing the cmos made it okay again.

will take the psu back to the shop as well. cheers