Problem with downgrading a Dell studio 1737 to windows xp

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    the thing is i have the hardware drivers... thrax posted them as well.. there r just three folders with the driver package (sdmmc, xd and ms) so i dont know where the 1394 net adapter should be
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Try them all. :) You can't hurt anything. Windows will just tell you that no information about your hardware is stored in that location.
    edited January 2009
    did that :(

ive tried a total of 6 drivers (3 from each of the packs that thrax provided) and nada!
  • edited January 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    did that :(

ive tried a total of 6 drivers (3 from each of the packs that thrax provided) and nada!

Wugg did you get the blue tooth to work? I have devices that see the blue tooth 370 on the computer, but on the laptop because of the incapatablity of vista and xp it didn't install the software. The driver seems to have installed.

Just wondering if you got that to work?
    edited January 2009
    i havnt tried the software... but i do have a lil bluetooth icon in the lower right (i think its called system bar...wow im rusty)
  • edited January 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    i havnt tried the software... but i do have a lil bluetooth icon in the lower right (i think its called system bar...wow im rusty)

Yeah, that's the right icon on the system tray. I was wondering if you could check to see if you have under Start|All Programs| My Blue Tooth Places.

And if you wouldn't mind checking to make sure you have the 370 blue tooth device installed in the Device manager.

I am running into major problems with this now. If you have all of those and it lets you add devices I was wondering if you could look to see what driver you have installed. I think if I get this to work then the other two I am going to give up on.

Thanks.
  • edited January 2009
    Lame.FTL wrote:
    Yeah, that's the right icon on the system tray. I was wondering if you could check to see if you have under Start|All Programs| My Blue Tooth Places.

And if you wouldn't mind checking to make sure you have the 370 blue tooth device installed in the Device manager.

I am running into major problems with this now. If you have all of those and it lets you add devices I was wondering if you could look to see what driver you have installed. I think if I get this to work then the other two I am going to give up on.

Thanks.

Just wanted to let you know I found a download that works for the 370 adapter if you are having problems with yours not working. I had the Bluetooth symbol on the system tray too but it wouldn't show up in device manager or my blue tooth places wouldn't show up in all programs.

I searched Dell website and went to a Latitude E6400 and it has Windows XP drivers/application for a 370 bluetooth adapter under Network.
    edited January 2009
    hey

1) I do not have it officially installed in my programs but.. when i double click on the bluetooth icon i get a folder with this in the explorer bar

"C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\My Bluetooth Places"

So it is apparently installed... i do ave it in system devices as well as network devices...

i think i ended up doing the same with my bluetooth (going on dell.com and searching for it)
  • edited January 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    hey

1) I do not have it officially installed in my programs but.. when i double click on the bluetooth icon i get a folder with this in the explorer bar

So it is apparently installed... i do ave it in system devices as well as network devices...

i think i ended up doing the same with my bluetooth (going on dell.com and searching for it)

Yeah, if you go to dell make sure you get the e6400 on and not mess with any that are suppose to be for Vista. I have looked on other forums and the Vista driver forced one guy to reinstall XP all together.
  • edited January 2009
    try manual install it from chipset unzip-folder,then choose 'high precision event timer'.
  • edited January 2009
    Well, thanks to all for the help on this site

Feeling pretty smug as I've downgraded my Studio 1737 in under 24 hours thanks to various online resources.

Thought I should give something back and recommend my own best practice for anyone downgrading one of the Studio range.
    It seems all models were created pretty much equal - I ended up following the instructions for downgrading a 1535 here...

http://wickmanstudios.com/content/view/17/29

I would strongly recommend you do the same - you can piece most of it together yourself from this and other forums but why bother when it's all done so nicely for you)

Hats off to the author (Dave I think) for putting everything you need in one place.

I got everything important working in under an hour once I'd found this resource.
    Be aware the first download link doesn't work but the mirror does

There are still a couple of funnies in my device manager...

There's an unknown device with a device id "ACPI\PNP0C32\0" - I can confirm from my research that this relates to the touch sensitive keys above the keyboard. I'm pretty sure there isn't and never will be an XP driver for this - I guess the is the one part of the machine which truely is available in Vista (eeeugh! makes me feel dirty just typing it).
    So just disable it and try to pretend it's not there in device manager with a big X next to it.

I also have a 1394 Net Adapter showing with an exclamation mark (!) next to it.
    This has a device id of "V1394\NIC1394\00000000". I think this might be Bluetooth since I've failed to complete the supplied installation and have a 1394 interface listed elsewhere but I'm not sure on this.

When attempting the install I get a message saying "Activate Bluetooth using Fn+F2 or Radio ON/Off Switch". Nothing I've tried has managed to get the install to complete so I've given up.
    This really is no big deal - have never used Bluetooth on a PC and my mobile phone which is my only other Bluetooth device has a perfectly good USB cable.

Still the geek in me is a bit ashamed about 2 devices not installed properly - I'd be interested in any ideas on how to rectify the above. But if you do give up at this point (as I have) you're not alone.

Still reckon we've pulled one over on Dell and Microsoft which is the main thing.

Thanks again for all the help and good luck
  • edited January 2009
    This has a device id of "V1394\NIC1394\00000000". I think this might be Bluetooth since I've failed to complete the supplied installation and have a 1394 interface listed elsewhere but I'm not sure on this.
    I can confirm that this is false, as I've got the 1535 model with the same two problematic devices and bluetooth is working fine, i have verified it and have successfully paired my cellphone with the laptop...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    1394 is exclusive to the Firewire....
  • edited January 2009
    Hello all, this is my first post on the forum (yay!) I just recieved my Studio 1737 w/Vista (ewwww), and I really would like to go with XP instead. I found the above thread very helpful, but was wondering since I didn't see it mentioned (and hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question lol)... the 1737 running the Intel 9400 CPU uses a 64-bit version of Vista... does this mean then that when downgrading to XP, I should also go with the 64-bit version? I also have a memory related question which probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I"ll shoot for it anyway :p This laptop came with 4Gig of DDR2... but the chipset says it will support DDR3 as well, is this correct or does Dell limit it to the DDR2 only? Thanks for your input everyone!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    NIM006 wrote:
    Hello all, this is my first post on the forum (yay!) I just recieved my Studio 1737 w/Vista (ewwww), and I really would like to go with XP instead. I found the above thread very helpful, but was wondering since I didn't see it mentioned (and hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question lol)... the 1737 running the Intel 9400 CPU uses a 64-bit version of Vista... does this mean then that when downgrading to XP, I should also go with the 64-bit version? I also have a memory related question which probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I"ll shoot for it anyway :p This laptop came with 4Gig of DDR2... but the chipset says it will support DDR3 as well, is this correct or does Dell limit it to the DDR2 only? Thanks for your input everyone!

Hey NIM006... Welcome to Icrontic. First off, congrats on the new laptop. Second, you can go with the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. 32-bit will be easier and provide better application support but both work fine. Third, My research shows that Dell Studio's are not configured to handle DDR3. You're probably stuck with DDR2 memory. Sorry.

One last thing... Have you thought about trying the Windows 7 Beta? It is a bit less of a shock than going to Vista and the drivers SHOULD be the same as for Vista. Just a thought....

Again, Welcome to the IC. :D
  • edited January 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Hey NIM006... Welcome to Icrontic. First off, congrats on the new laptop. Second, you can go with the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. 32-bit will be easier and provide better application support but both work fine. Third, My research shows that Dell Studio's are not configured to handle DDR3. You're probably stuck with DDR2 memory. Sorry.

One last thing... Have you thought about trying the Windows 7 Beta? It is a bit less of a shock than going to Vista and the drivers SHOULD be the same as for Vista. Just a thought....

Again, Welcome to the IC. :D

Thanks! I'm gonna try a dual boot setup first to make sure I really want to run the XP-64, if I"m satisfied, then I'll wipe the whole thing and start from scratch with XP... As for Windows 7, I"ll admit I'm not very informed on it's release... is that Mojave? I"ve heard it's basically Vista minus all the annoying confirmation warnings, and stripped of some of the more performance robbing features. I DO like the bells and whistles like the touch-sensitive controls above the keyboard, and I'd be sad to lose them with XP, so if 7 lets me retain Vista's nicer features, but returns to a more XP-ish way of resource usage than that's what I'd be wanting. Have you tried the Beta yet? I've always been hesitant of beta's but that's probably a throw-back to the early days lol. When is the final release of 7 due out?

Thnx
    Ave
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Final release is as yet unknown (September? End of the year? Early '10?), but the beta is incredibly stable and VERY fast. I hesitate to say that you'd have a problem with it at all.

Also, most standard programs have no problem working in a 64-bit Windows environment, so I will have to counter Q's recommendations a little bit. I haven't had a problem with program support for a 64-bit system in years, though specialized apps or corporate programs may fall in the problematic group.
  • edited January 2009
    cool_cheat wrote:
    I can confirm that this is false, as I've got the 1535 model with the same two problematic devices and bluetooth is working fine, i have verified it and have successfully paired my cellphone with the laptop...

Thanks for the update ... any idea how you got the bluetooth working? i don't exactly need it but it'd be nice to get as much working as possible
  • edited January 2009
    Hy there,

I am just new to this forum. I got a Dell studio 1737 and I have managed to install XP on it, but i don't know where to find the right drivers.
    Could anyone show me the right path?

Thnx in advance,

rev
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    Hey all (thank god this site doesn't purge inactive members on the regular)

Well here is the issue thus far.

I am currently installing XP on my dell studio 1737

Installed most drivers without a problem, but there are still two devices which are giving me issues (I think i managed to find version 9.xx for my intel chipset).

I have a yellow Exclamation point over the "1394 Net Adapter" and a yellow question mark in other devices .. The only information i can gather from the second device is "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system"

I feel this could be an issue with the drivers for my Intel PM45 chipset with an ICH9 South bridge, but i dled the most current drivers (unless someone has anything better)

Also, this problem may or may not be related (i thinkk they are) I have been trying to enable AHCI on XP for a couple of hours and i keep getting the BSOD... I followed a tutorial and i keep getting the same issue... the tutorials can be found here

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-enable-AHCI-on-Intel-ICH9-under-X-t109450.html

Any help will be appreciated

thanks all!!!
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks for the update ... any idea how you got the bluetooth working? i don't exactly need it but it'd be nice to get as much working as possible

To get the bluetooth working do the following. This is what I had to do.

Search Dell driver website and went to a Latitude E6400 and it has Windows XP drivers/application for a 370 bluetooth adapter under Network.

I used that driver and it worked without a hitch. The Vista drivers for it don't install the application portion of it so it's useless. Try those drivers and you should have a working blue tooth.
  • edited January 2009
    reverend wrote:
    Hy there,

I am just new to this forum. I got a Dell studio 1737 and I have managed to install XP on it, but i don't know where to find the right drivers.
    Could anyone show me the right path?

Thnx in advance,

rev

If you are looking for the unknown and 1394 adapter you are not going to get them off your device manager list. I searched for days to get these off of the list and there isn't a driver for them.

As I previously posted if you aren't going to hook up a computer to computer network via 1394 then don't worry about it and if you fine with going to start|programs|Power DVD to launch the application then the unknown can be left alone as well.
  • edited January 2009
    Thnx for the reply. the thing is that I can't find ANY xp drivers for my studio 1737. I have given up the hope and reinstalled Vista.... It really sucks, but at least I have something till i find the xp drivers...

Lame.FTL wrote:
    If you are looking for the unknown and 1394 adapter you are not going to get them off your device manager list. I searched for days to get these off of the list and there isn't a driver for them.

As I previously posted if you aren't going to hook up a computer to computer network via 1394 then don't worry about it and if you fine with going to start|programs|Power DVD to launch the application then the unknown can be left alone as well.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Just a thought: You guys should try installing Windows 7 over XP. It'll be roughly the same speed, and the vast majority of your Vista drivers will work.
  • edited January 2009
    reverend wrote:
    Thnx for the reply. the thing is that I can't find ANY xp drivers for my studio 1737. I have given up the hope and reinstalled Vista.... It really sucks, but at least I have something till i find the xp drivers...

Rev what I did for most of my drivers was us the Vista drivers from the disk. It won't let you install the drivers from the setup, but you can browse to c:\Dell\Drivers and point the device to the appropriate folder. The others like the blue tooth you have to work around, and install different model of notebook drivers to get it to work.

I agree Windows 7 is just as fast as XP. I have it installed on a 4 year old computer and it runs like a dream. The only issue with that is when August 1st hits it will stop working.(From what I heard)

I have two working 1737 notebooks with XP on them so it is possible just might take some time.
  • edited January 2009
    Hello to everybody

My name is Jorge Antonio, im from Quito-Ecuador, I bouhgt a dell studio 1737, but i need to downgrade to win xp 64 bits but, i have scare to format the laptop without the drivers, because i need the dreess to download drivers, my english is poor sorry, I hope that all of you understand this, thanks to everybody.

bytes77
  • edited January 2009
    Antuan77 wrote:
    Hello to everybody

My name is Jorge Antonio, im from Quito-Ecuador, I bouhgt a dell studio 1737, but i need to downgrade to win xp 64 bits but, i have scare to format the laptop without the drivers, because i need the dreess to download drivers, my english is poor sorry, I hope that all of you understand this, thanks to everybody.

bytes77

Jorge...XP64 might be a bit harder then 32 bit XP. I know sometimes finding drivers for XP 64 on a machine that like 32bit XP is a pain in the rear. What you could try first is to download the Vista 64 bit drivers from the Dell Website and if they don't work you can still download the 32bit vista drivers off the web too.

The second option is to look at different models of Dell notebooks and find legitamate XP 64 driver for them.(i.e Latitude 6400) That could be a pain but so was 32 bit XP.

Good Luck.
  • edited February 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    hey

• edited February 2009
    Hello all,

I am also busy trying to install XP on my Dell 1737. Is is going fine but i got 1 device that just will not install (excluding ACPI\PNP0C32\0 and the 1394 controller wich i left alone for the moment)
    The device i am talking about is the "Audio device on High defintion audio bus"
    I installed the IDT sound driver wich enabels my sound so that works. I also installed the MS patch "kb888111" with no results. The device id is:
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2802&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&A74B963&0&0101

Does somebody knows how to install this device?
  • edited February 2009
    Anybody?
  • edited February 2009
    Hello my name is Dani and i am from spain and my english is poor.

I am buying a dell studio 1737 laptop with windows vista and i am searching xp drivers, and i took all of them in diverses links.

For the problem with the audio you should be install a small ms-dos . exe application for hdmi digital audio.

This link is to studio 1535 but the much component are the same.

http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-dell-studio-1535-windows-xp-drivers/

for broadcom gigabite lan driver

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netlink_k57.php

Mother board chipset:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=spa&strOSs=44&submit=%C2%A0%C2%A0Ir%C2%A0%C2%A0

Dell bluetooth 370 mini card

http://www.soft-go.com/get_driver/Dell-Precision-M2400-Wireless-370-Bluetooth-Minicard-Application-A06_1145.html

Productos Intel® WiFi Link 5300 e Intel® WiFi Link 5100

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=3062

Ricoh card driver

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/Dell-Studio-1737-Ricoh-Card-Reader-R5C833-Driver-A01.shtml

I is all. I spected that i can help you on this.

King gretings