GELID fans - quiet, effective, and very cool

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I want to put some WINGs in my Antec Nine Hundred. Their serviceability sells it for me.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    They are absolutely ridicucool. My case is quiet as a mouse, but cool as the other side of the pillow.

Do recommend, A+++++.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    If only they had temperature control like the Thermaltake A2029.
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    If only they had temperature control like the Thermaltake A2029.

The Silent 12 does.

A great case setup for these fans would be Silent 12s over the HDDs and exhausts and Wings for a heatsink fan or on a radiator for watercooling. Power and silence for where you know you'll always want it, and variability for places that can use it.
    edited January 2009
    The silent 12 just has a thermistor. The A2029 has a thermistor and a pot. Quiet as hell, too.
    edited January 2009
    Ah, I see. A quick spec comparison for everybody's benefit, then -

Thermaltake A2029:
    RPM
    1300 ±20% RPM at 20C
    3500 ±10% RPM at 55C

Air Flow
    35.43-95.22 CFM

Noise Level
    25.5 dBA at 1300RPM
    45dBA at 3500RPM

Silent 12:
    RPM
    750 RPM at 22C
    1500 RPM at 42C

Air Flow
    ? - 58CFM

Noise Level
    12 dBA at 750 RPM
    25.5 dBA at 1500 RPM

95 CFM is nothing to sneeze at, but it sounds like if you don't need all that much, the Silent 12 will be quieter.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The Wing sounds like a fantastic fan!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I've been a long time fan of the Scythe SFF21E (I have 10+ around the house) but might be willing to give Gelid a chance. Being able to disassemble and clean is pretty nice.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I am SOLD on the removable impeller. You can probably take the impeller out and put it in the dishwasher. IN.
    edited January 2009
    Just make sure the mag ring in the impeller is smooth and debris-free before you put it back on, heh.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited January 2009
    I've been a huge fan of magnets for the longest time and to see them being implemented here in a fan blows my mind! One quick question, are we dealing with electro-magnets or material magnets? I never heard of nanoflux bearings before and I was wondering how it maintains it's charge if it is not plugged in. Will the fan fall off after a month of inactivity? (Let's say I went on a long holiday.)
    edited January 2009
    I believe they're electromagnets, as the wire spools would indicate, but it takes some effort to remove the impeller from the housing when powered down. They will never just fall off, so there's no worry there.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Material magnet on the blade side. I have one of these Enermax "Everest" and I cannot bring myself to use it in my rig simply because the color of the leds is a horrid light blue.:crazy:

I just wanted a nice silent fan on the back cause it's an 80mm. I might be trying one of these...... blue or green?
    edited January 2009
    Zuntar wrote:
    Material magnet on the blade side.

Ahh, that makes sense now, why didn't I think of that earlier. :P
  • edited January 2009
    OMG Geekgasm! DO WANT. I need to get new fans anyway, my case is around 5 years old and the fans are loud. >_< It's bad when your parents mind how loud it is.
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited January 2009
    Where?

Has anyone been able to find somewhere that sells these? I looked on Newegg but had no success? Grr I hate it when reviews come out on cool stuff and nobody can find to buy them....
    edited January 2009
    Prices match up well with other fans in its class, down under the $10 mark from AeroCooler, one of GELID’s precious few North American distributors.

AeroCooler. I believe they sell both models in multiple sizes. Go there and search by manufacturer on the left side and you'll see everything they carry.
    edited January 2009
    GELID just replied to an email I sent them. The GELID Wing fan will run underwater, so they say!!!
    edited January 2009
    Video incoming.
    edited January 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    GELID just replied to an email I sent them. The GELID Wing fan will run underwater, so they say!!!

lol... You asked them if the fans are capable of running underwater!? Why did you think of that question. xD
    edited January 2009
    That's just it, I didn't ask! They just responded saying "PS They run under water."
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    I am SOLD on the removable impeller. You can probably take the impeller out and put it in the dishwasher. IN.
    Totally with you on that one Brian. Dishwasher-safe fan impellers = win win win win win WIN.
    edited January 2009
    PS, the video is up in the article, in case you've missed it. 3rd page at the bottom.

Underwater fans! How rad.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    AeroCooler. I believe they sell both models in multiple sizes. Go there and search by manufacturer on the left side and you'll see everything they carry.
    Where?

Has anyone been able to find somewhere that sells these? I looked on Newegg but had no success? Grr I hate it when reviews come out on cool stuff and nobody can find to buy them....

Performance PCs FTW
    edited January 2009
    More 'spensive. :p