Visiting with Asus

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Why do we need ultra-thin notebooks? It's one thing for Intel and AMD to be making ever smaller die shrinks and faster memory and motherboards and all that, but seriously - what can a 1/2 inch thick laptop do that a 1 inch think laptop can't?

If a 1 inch thick laptop is just too big and bulky to be carrying around, then that's a people problem, not a computer problem.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    My 1/2" thick notebook can beat the pants off your 3" thick notebook on almost every task. :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Is it really a people problem if everyone wants the same thing?
  • edited January 2009
    Tim wrote:
    Why do we need ultra-thin notebooks? It's one thing for Intel and AMD to be making ever smaller die shrinks and faster memory and motherboards and all that, but seriously - what can a 1/2 inch thick laptop do that a 1 inch think laptop can't?

If a 1 inch thick laptop is just too big and bulky to be carrying around, then that's a people problem, not a computer problem.

BECAUSE ITS COOOOL
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    I like the notebook but I think that white makes it look cheap. I really like that mouse.

convection cooling, when I think of that phrase, I think of an oven or a huge steam radiator. Maybe it would work in an atom CPU but anything else would just get too hot with prolonged use on a lap. Did they show any air flow charts?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    No they didn't, but you'd be surprised just how well convection cooling works. OCZ's technical guru has a desktop running at ambient on convection.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The stuff on display was just a design exercise to show what should be possible to mass-produce within the next 12-18 months. Daniel seemed to suggest that the technology is there (almost) but it will come down to seeing if the design will be marketable. Based on the reactions he'd seen and from what we saw, the Fold should be a hit if it can come to market at a decent price point.

I would love to have a laptop that thin and light. Carrying around my MacBook at CES all week made it clear to me that a netbook like Robert's MSI Wind or the elusive Fold will be a requisite addition to my bag at the next conference we attend. It's not a people problem; its a usability problem. And, I think it's pretty evident seeing how netbooks are the fastest growing market segment in computer sales.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    When I travel with a notebook, my most pressing needs are email, Internet, modest word processing, and a little storage. Hey, if the monitor is large enough and it has a keyboard made for adult human hands, the rest of it might as well be as small and light as possible. Most of my travel is for training, conferences, and the like. If I performed similar work as I do at my office, then no, the ultralights with their current capabilities would not work.

But most important for me - keyboard and monitor. I am not impressed at all with itty-bitty cutesy.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    No they didn't, but you'd be surprised just how well convection cooling works. has a desktop running at ambient on convection.

Hrmmm.. check this link out http://www.watercomputer.com/technik/konvpc.html

Is OCZ's technical guru's it like that?
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited January 2009
    Small is sexy.
    I like sexy.
    I buy sexy.
    mmmm, sexy.