E5200 in the house.

edited January 2009 in Hardware
I was looking for a cheap upgrade to an old Celeron 326 I have crunching and I ran across the E5200 at Newegg, which is a Wolfdale core with 2 MB L2 cache and is clocked at 200 X 12.5 (2.5 GHz) for $84. Since I have a P35 DS3L board that has this processor on it's compatibility list, I decided to purchase it. I received it this evening and installed it (prepped the board yesterday by flashing to the latest bios revision) and booted up at 333 X 10 for it's first run. I had to manually set the vcore on this board to 1.2v because of the horrid vdroop and booted right up to the desktop. After priming for 15 minutes I decided to explore it's limits further. I found that like proc, like the 65nm 200 fsb Intel procs, doesn't like high fsb speeds and it wouldn't boot at 400 fsb. It would boot at 350 fsb in this board but wasn't stable. So I just set it back to 333 fsb and started overclocking with the multiplier. With a 12.5 multi and plenty of memory multi's to choose from in bios, it was pretty easy to get this little cheap proc clocking much higher I'm presently priming it at 3830 (333 X 11.5) with 1.344v while priming and it's been going for just over an hour so far with no errors. Here's a screeie I took before I bumped the vcore setting to where it would run at 1.344 loaded:

e52003830hf9.jpg

I believe that I might be able to get this proc to run at 4.0 without too much problem too. Not bad for a dual core processor that costs well less than $100.:vimp:

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Excellent. Is this on air or water?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Seriously, what HS are you using...
  • edited October 2008
    I'm using a TRUE on it with a Panaflo for a fan. That was the heatsink I was running in that system before the processor swap.

EDIT: It sure seems much easier to cool than the E4xxx series of processors too.
  • edited October 2008
    Man, this is a cool running chip. I put it back to crunching Seti and here's what the temps look like now. I imagine it would be about the same with folding too.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Time to start bumping up the FSB ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    What is this 333 nonsense?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    500FSB or GTFO!

nice overclock BTW
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Hot little, cool little...you know what I mean! :)

Amazingly low temperatures for that performance. I haven't seen anything in the 40's C at full load OC since my Athlon XP 2800 of years ago!

I'd say that CPU is a bargain. Low cost, great performance.
  • edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    What is this 333 nonsense?
    fatcat wrote:
    500FSB or GTFO!

nice overclock BTW

Won't happen unfortunately, especially with a Gigabyte board. For some reason, Gigabyte boards don't respond to padmods like most other boards and like the E4xxx series of 200 fsb Core-based processors, this one doesn't like high fsb speeds. This DS3L can run high fsb speeds with an E6300; it's run an E6300 at 500 fsb in the past, but it won't with this little baby. But since it has a 12.5 multi that isn't a big holdup since you can alwys use a memory divisor to get the ram speed and bandwidth up.

But I do have a Foxconn P35 board too that presently has the E6300. I might in the future try padmodding to 266 fsb on this little jewel and trying it out in that board. If it responds like the old E4400 I had at one time that should help it's fsb overclocking.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Nice, mudd.

:cheers:
  • edited October 2008
    I'm presently trying to get her to prime at 333 X 12, but it looks like she's getting to the far end of the bell curve on vcore. I'm presently at 1.456v vcore at load and testing there. It failed after 15 minutes at 1.440 vcore. And this DS3L has absolutely horrible vdroop; I see a vdroop pencil mod in it's near future. Maybe with a vdroop mod I will be able to back off on vcore a bit.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited October 2008
    Sounds like one hell of a deal for such a great overclock. A freak'n steal. Great work and nice find.
  • edited November 2008
    Yeah, I thought so too. The only thing I see you lose with this cheap processor is that Intel disabled the SSE4 instruction set.

I just helped a friend upgrade his old Opty 170 system with this processor because he was on a budget and the old system's mobo was definitely on it's last legs. Damn thing was going crazy; shifting the HTT speed up and down all by itself and freezing and crashing out. Since he is legally blind and can't work much, he needed something cheap and also still fast. So we ordered him an E5200, P5Q Pro and 4 gigs of some OCZ ram that's on the Asus QVL for this board. All for around $275.
  • edited January 2009
    I registered just now to chime in on this chip. I know the last post is 2+ months ago but it deserves a verification.

I too own this e5200, got it for 87 dollars from directron. I use the ASUS p5k/epu motherboard and 800mhz ddr2 kingston valueram.

I'm currently running a 333mhz FSB with a 9.0 multiplier on this chip for an effective 3Ghz. I configured the ram to run at 667mhz to maintain the proper ratio (1333FSB). At first i let the asus board decide what my voltage should be to see how it went. At stock specs (200*12.5) this chip rested at 1.1040v. With it overclocked to 333x9 it dipped below stock voltage a little and seemed stable for several days until i had a crash or two. Today I started tinkering with it again and manually set the voltage to 1.2v, which wound up being 1.1760 volts.

I loaded it up with small ffts in orthos and let it run for about 5 minutes, voltages are very stable. Max temps as reported by CoreTemp were 59-58 max using the stock intel cooler. I have the antec 900 case with all fans set to low.

I havent explored this chip as much as a I want but wont go any farther without a real chip cooler. From what I can tell, and is backed up by muddocktors findings, this 45nm chip handles overclocking very well and is an absolute steal at 80-90 dollars.

I did notice and is worth mentioning that this chip has an easier time booting while running at higher than stock clock speeds using a multiplier that are multiples of 3 (6.0, 9.0, 12.0). Consider this when you contemplate what speeds you are trying to achieve.

In conclusion
    stock:
    800Mhz FSB (200*12.5) 1.1040v = 2.5Ghz 56c-55c max load temps
    800Mhz DDR2 ram @ 4GB

overclocked: (stock intel cooler!)
    1333Mhz FSB (333*9) 1.1760v = 3Ghz 59-58 max load temps
    667Mhz DDR2 ram @ 4GB

Across all the benchmarking apps I've used to test in both configurations the overclocked config tested on average 18% faster in both cpu and memory performance. Not bad at all for an 87 dollar chip and 4GB of 42 dollar ram ;)
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for posting your results and welcome to Icrontic, siruspernot! :wave:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Great info, siruspernot! Thanks for registering. :) I hope you stick around.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Welcome to Icrontic :)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Great introduction and first post. Should be interesting to see how you do with a proper HSF. Please post your results.
  • edited January 2009
    Well I ordered the Core-Contact Freezer from Sunbeamtech. That cooler that scored the best on frostytechs bench for heat dissipation. I ordered it tonight so it should be here about Wednesday.

Before I decided to hold off on anything other than stock speed I had this baby up to 3333MHz @ 1.2V by using 333MHz FSB and using a multiplier of 10. At this setting it just barely topped 65C at the CPU sensor, for me this is too high but it was under Orthos stress. I tried to game Crysis Warhead with it but it my machine restarted (crash) after it had time to heat up.

When my CCF gets here I'll install it. I'll wind up doing a writeup about it on NerdNOS (my website) and I'll be sure to post my results here for you guys also. This chip is still amazing me for the price/performance ratio. On synthetic tests I can hang tough with my buddies Q6600 flamethrower.

For anyone who is going to do a system build with this chip I would highly recommend picking a 667-800MHz DDR2 ram with 4-4-4-12 timings. Configure the FSB to be 333 (1333) and set the ram to work at 667MHz (1:1 ratio is highly important to overall performance)

At 333MHz you have a multiplier from 6 to 12.5 to play with for a possible 4.1GHz with the right cooling solution and motherboard. I'll keep you guys posted on my tests.

Thanks for the warm welcome this seems like a cool community.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    I checked out your website. That was an interesting watercooling setup. Is that big tank on the side a reservoir?
    Well I ordered the Core-Contact Freezer from Sunbeamtech. That cooler that scored the best on frostytechs bench for heat dissipation. I ordered it tonight so it should be here about Wednesday.

Before I decided to hold off on anything other than stock speed I had this baby up to 3333MHz @ 1.2V by using 333MHz FSB and using a multiplier of 10. At this setting it just barely topped 65C at the CPU sensor, for me this is too high but it was under Orthos stress. I tried to game Crysis Warhead with it but it my machine restarted (crash) after it had time to heat up.

When my CCF gets here I'll install it. I'll wind up doing a writeup about it on NerdNOS (my website) and I'll be sure to post my results here for you guys also. This chip is still amazing me for the price/performance ratio. On synthetic tests I can hang tough with my buddies Q6600 flamethrower.

For anyone who is going to do a system build with this chip I would highly recommend picking a 667-800MHz DDR2 ram with 4-4-4-12 timings. Configure the FSB to be 333 (1333) and set the ram to work at 667MHz (1:1 ratio is highly important to overall performance)

At 333MHz you have a multiplier from 6 to 12.5 to play with for a possible 4.1GHz with the right cooling solution and motherboard. I'll keep you guys posted on my tests.

Thanks for the warm welcome this seems like a cool community.
  • edited January 2009
    Komete wrote:
    I checked out your website. That was an interesting watercooling setup. Is that big tank on the side a reservoir?

yes it is, that belongs to my partner Dan in Canada. That case is a fish tank style model that is meant to have an air tube in the tank area and little plastic fish would bubble around. He instead modded in inlet and outlet tubes to the tank and uses it as the reservoir for his water setup. I don't know what stepping his Q6600 has but that thing is a flamethrower. I'm referenced on the website as "Ghost". Anything by Ghost is my work.
  • edited January 2009
    This is a screenshot of my desktop to verify some of Muddocktors findings. This is using the stock Intel Heatsink. I'm going to attempt the same overclock Muddocktor is displaying when I get my Core-Contact Freezer this week. Take notice of what little Vcore is needed to achieve results on these chips. Its amazing.

oc.jpg
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Core-Contact Freezer from Sunbeamtech
    Very good choice. I'm running two of them. Real world, they are very close in performance to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, even better if the TRUE is not lapped.