freeze at giveio.sys then blue screen STOP: 0x0000008E

edited January 2009 in Hardware
Help please, i'm pretty desperate. My Pc suddenly lost everything from the screen but the power stayed on. I then turned the power off and restarted it. It attempted to load XP but then I was presented with A blue screen.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x323CACD8, 0xF78A23B4, 0x00000000)

I then restarted it again and tried starting in safe mode, as it was loading it seemed to hang at giveio.sys eventually it brought me back to the blue screen. I've tried taking the RAM out and just leaving one in, and then swtiching them, that still didn't work. I've tried unplugging everything except the power and video lead and it still doesnt work.

I plugged in just the keyboard and tried booting from the last known working settings but that didn't work either but the stop code was slightly different.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x3231ECD8, 0xF78A23B4, 0x00000000)

Does anyone know how I can get around any of this and get back into windows?
Thanks

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Have you checked your temps? Is your CPU fan still working? Sometimes stop errors like that are signs of overheating.

Usually, if you aren't overheating, they're best solved by a reformat. Stop errors are too nebulous and uninformative to really try and troubleshoot. I'd suggest pulling the hard drive, attaching it to another system, and copying off any files you want to save. Then give it a fresh reformat.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    And here's an article describing why Blue Screens are very hard to troubleshoot: http://icrontic.com/articles/office-hours-9-meaningless-stop-errors
  • edited January 2009
    Try unplugging anything that uses USB and booting. If it fixes it, try reinstalling your usb stuff. From what I just researched it is said that this file is a driver non-native to Windows and it is commonly used by card readers and some programs like speedfan. I read this information here http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-471021.php

Apparently what I told you worked for one person and may get you some relief. Hope it works out.