Spy

edited January 2009 in Science & Tech
I have a big problem. Somehow, an individual is able to access and track everything I am doing online. If I create an email account this person can find out about it, if I enter a chat room, this person knows about it and can read all my conversations even if they are private. They can read any email that is sent or recieved. They can track every website I go to, and they seem to be able to do this to my home computer as well as a work computer, or even public computer. Whoever is doing this is sending this information to someone I know. Their ability to do this is driving me insane; I know that what they are doing has got to be against the law, but I really need to find out who it is and how they are doing it. For all I know they are can read this! Has anyone ever heard of this before? It seems so improbable if not impossible to do. I need some help!!!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    No, it's not impossible. It's called taking advantage of a vulnerable computer that is not properly secured with up-to-date antivirus and anti-spyware software.

It sounds to me like there is a key logger installed on your computer. If your assumption that someone is tracking you is correct, then yes, they will probably be able read what you post here, as it will have been posted through typing on your keyboard - key logger logging the keys. Maybe consider removing your computer from the network, then your "spy" won't be able to track anything.

If you want help with cleaning out your computer, you will need to be online somewhere to get our instructions. It would be cumbersome, but doable, but you could perhaps use a computer at the library or something. It's your call.

If it's something you wish to reveal here, please tell us why you believe your computer is being monitored?
  • edited January 2009
    I had thought it might be something like that too, except that this person seems to be able to gain information from ANY computer I use. The person he is revealing this information to has been able to tell me exactly what any new email addresses are, contents of email or even conversations in chat rooms. I have no idea how someone can do something like that on ANY computer I get on.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    CIA / FBI / Homeland Security,,, Ur screwed!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    What you're describing is a very large federal felony. You need to contact authorities immediately.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    tf2_pyro.jpg

just sayin...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    No, what they're describing is impossible.

There is a rational explanation for whatever drama is going on in your life right now. "They're tracking me on every computer I use" is not one of them. 99.9% of people who think they're "getting hacked" simply are not. It's paranoia and a misunderstanding of how the Internet (and even the world) operates.

If they can "track you on every computer" it means one of the following:
    • By "every computer" you mean something more like "two computers, mine and my friends' system"
    • You're a federal national security employee or A-list celebrity
    • You're delusional
    • You're Sandra Bullock
    That's pretty much it. :O

Also, consider that whoever is "doing this to you" is a complete doofus. If they actually knew what they were doing, they wouldn't be telling you about it. This sounds like high school drama.
  • edited January 2009
    Keebler wrote:
    No, what they're describing is impossible.

There is a rational explanation for whatever drama is going on in your life right now. "They're tracking me on every computer I use" is not one of them. 99.9% of people who think they're "getting hacked" simply are not. It's paranoia and a misunderstanding of how the Internet (and even the world) operates.

If they can "track you on every computer" it means one of the following:
    • By "every computer" you mean something more like "two computers, mine and my friends' system"
    • You're a federal national security employee or A-list celebrity
    • You're delusional
    • You're Sandra Bullock
    That's pretty much it. :O

Also, consider that whoever is "doing this to you" is a complete doofus. If they actually knew what they were doing, they wouldn't be telling you about it. This sounds like high school drama.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were more like internet stalking. Give us some more information before we make our verdict though, and if you're really worried about it report it to the police.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    his person seems to be able to gain information from ANY computer I use
    No, that's over the top. If "any" computer means a single computer you use all the time, then that is somewhat possible. In that case, remove it from the network. Any computer? No. No way.

If you really believe what you are saying, you need to contact the authorities as Thrax so appropriately advised you above.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Does the person telling you these things look like this?
    spy%20vs%20spy.jpg
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Make a vending machine with a large novelty boxing glove in it.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    enter rockwell
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I find in times like this a good game of Three-Cornered Pitney or 43-Man Squamish helps relax me.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    You probably feel like this person can access you on any computer because they've keylogged your computer, as Leonardo said. Hence, they'll have your passwords for your email and other things, meaning that even if you log into your email from another computer, if they wanted to, they could still log into your email and see what you wrote. You're not being haxxored on every computer you're on, just fix the one you have.
  • edited January 2009
    What I am assuming is similar to the others. This being my area of expertise I'm going to go over a few scenarios.

The fact you say this person tracks everything you do raises a flag to me. What proof do you have of this? If it is only the words of an individual and you have not seen printed copies of your data with your own eyes. You are being intimidated into believing something that is false. It is impossible for someone to track you on any and every computer you touch.

If you are under a technologically threat like you say and not the victim of false intimidation (wannabe hackers do this all day on chat lines) you need to take several steps. First thing is first, you need to clean your computer out. Back up your important data and reinstall your OS, forget antivirus, a custom keylogger can get right by that. The moment you get your system back online, go and change all of your passwords on every account you have. If someone can show you printouts of your email conversations, then they likely have your email passwords.

If you are on a local area network, does your enemy also have a computer online inside it? (home router network would be an example). If this is the case any unencrypted communications can be collected and saved by this second computer. This is called sniffing. You need a RADIUS server with VPN ability to properly encrypt your home network, this is usually overkill for any home network.

So, ask for printed proof from your digital pursuers, otherwise do not believe a word they say about having the ability to monitor you, it is a scare tactic. If it is indeed taking place, reformat your computer and change all your account passwords. If you have a wireless network at home for gods sake turn on encryption with WPA. A person can sit outside your house if you have an unencrypted wifi network and watch everything you say or see that's not encapsulated in SSL or VPN.

If you want to encrypt everything you do across any network on earth, sign up for a remote VPN service. These types of companies offer you a VPN to connect to with default gateways. They allow you to connect to them through an encrypted tunnel and do anything you normally would online but safe from prying eyes.

Personally I think you're buying a bunch of baloney from some wannabe hacker in a chat channel.