Antec 900 2 Gaming Case

edited January 2009 in Hardware
I just ran across this. Thought I'd share it.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=15920#

It looks like it's just teh same case with a different cosmetic top, no inner design changes that I can see to "improve airflow". Maybe they gave us fans this time that work with a fan controller.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Looks like I'll be keeping my 900 for now : /. That one looks way too similar to justify the money that it costs.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It looks quite nice, but tbh they shouldn't do anything until they've sorted the terrible issue the Antec 900 has with cables imo.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Looking at the drive bays makes me think they actually cheaped out on this model...
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I'm with Thrax. I think the older one looks like a better case.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Looking at the drive bays makes me think they actually cheaped out on this model...
    "Cheaped out" as in cutting corners is a possibility. But if "Gaming" is in the name of it anywhere, there will be an automatic price increase of a minimum of 25% (and people will flock to it).
  • edited January 2009
    Honestly after looking closer, The fans are the same so that annoying "open the case to adjust the fans" issue is still there. It looks like what they did was realized how profitable the Antec 900 was and thought to capitalize on it by using a cheaper manufacturing process and calling it the version 2. It'd be interesting to hear from an owner of it.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    Maybe they gave us fans this time that work with a fan controller.

You can use a fan controller. I have an akasa contoller in my 900. You just set the fans to max power on the inside of the case then use the controller on the outside to slow them down.

Check out the picks of my rig in the case modding forum.:bigggrin: Its called my first go at cable management.

//edit: I see you have already found it! lol
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Antec 2....I thought that was the Antec 300. (Which totally kicks almost as much ass as the 900)

Yea, do not like the design of new case. Looks like Antec 1200 mini.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited January 2009
    What makes the drive bays look cheap? They are the same on my 1200 and they are very high quality thick honeycomb mesh :).
    I prefer the styling of the old 900 though. Looks liek they have sorted out the cable management in the 900 2. Also a nice black paintjob. I think the fan controllers on the 1200 are brilliant. My 1200 is quieter than my Ramdomguy33's 900. And I have 2 more fans!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    revorocks wrote:
    I think the fan controllers on the 1200 are brilliant. My 1200 is quieter than my Ramdomguy33's 900. And I have 2 more fans!

The controls on the 900 are a three way switch inside the case. the only way you can adjust the speed is by opening up the case and flicking the switch to hi, med or low. Most people want their controls on the outside. This means they can have the fans low when the system is idol and turn it up when you are gaming without havinging to mess around inside.

The fans which come with the 900 use molex plugs which are designed to plug straight into your PSU. If you use an external controller most people like to uses the smaller three pin fan conecters as they have an aditional cable which is used to transmit the fan speed to the controller.

On the noise front, I would not be suprised if your 1200 is quieter. Having additional fans means you can get the same cooling with slower fan speeds thus less noise.

I think the issue with the drive bays is that the surround at the front and the top are made from plastic which for a case in its price range is poor.

Hard to tell about cable management. It is still a bottom mounted PSU which means you have to run a load of extra cables and there dont appear to be many holes or places to hide and run cables.

I dont see that the 900 2 is much of an improvment on the original. I thin that the comment about mini 1200 sums it up really.