I'm gonna go for 4Ghz

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2008
    Nice E0 you've got there, Pete! My older revision E8400 needs almost 1.4V for 4GHz.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    Morbus! MORBUS!!!!

Nice clock, Pete. Is it tapped? What the hell does chuffed mean? What is the question of the answer?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Thanks. I don't think it's at the limit yet, but it'll take some fiddling with to see just how far it'll go. I've got no idea how far I can push the memory, or how much faster the CPU will go. I think it's more of a matter of getting adequate cooling on the chip. I've heard of E8400s doing 4.4GHz at 1.4v, but when I was running at 1.36v, my temps were already edging in on 60C at load. That's too hot for me.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    What the hell does chuffed mean?
    The effects of using bathroom tissue that's abrasive.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    You mean chafed? ;)

Context says chuffed is excited or proud.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Thanks. I don't think it's at the limit yet, but it'll take some fiddling with to see just how far it'll go. I've got no idea how far I can push the memory, or how much faster the CPU will go. I think it's more of a matter of getting adequate cooling on the chip. I've heard of E8400s doing 4.4GHz at 1.4v, but when I was running at 1.36v, my temps were already edging in on 60C at load. That's too hot for me.

I see water cooling in your future.
    edited December 2008
    Funny you mention it. A Swiftech H20-220 kit is on my Christmas list. Hope I get it. ;)
    edited December 2008
    Nice. Welcome to the wet side.

Er.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Newegg shows that kit for 139 but out of stock :( I hate it when Newegg does that. They drop the price of an out of stock item and then raise it after they get it back in. I wonder if there is a way to get it at the out of stock price when it comes in...hrmmm
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited December 2008
    Komete wrote:
    Newegg shows that kit for 139 but out of stock :( I hate it when Newegg does that. They drop the price of an out of stock item and then raise it after they get it back in. I wonder if there is a way to get it at the out of stock price when it comes in...hrmmm

Does Newegg have any sort of raincheck?? I doubt it.. but jw.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2008
    Stay tuned for a review of the Swiftech H20-120 kit ;)
    edited December 2008
    Komete wrote:
    Does Newegg have any sort of raincheck?? I doubt it.. but jw.
    Sadly, nope. You can only place orders for items when they're in-stock. Calling them does no good, either. They are wicked strict about that rule.

So, what's the good word, Pete? Did you hit 5Ghz yet?
    edited December 2008
    I need MOAR COOLING still.
    edited December 2008
    MOAR HEATTOOBS.
    edited December 2008
    It's funny. My dad looked at my system, saw all the heatpipes and then the case with all the giant fans and commented "Looks like somebody is a little obsessed with cooling." I :tim:'d
    edited December 2008
    Next thing you know, your family will be staging a HEATTOOB INTARVENSHIN.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    What GPU cooler you using Pete? The things a moster. Never seen two case fans together like that on a retail model. You build it yourself?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Khaos wrote:
    What the hell does chuffed mean?

I'm so chuffed to see a few 'ole fashioned South African expressions creeping in. :saflag:
    It means Pleased or proud or can mean both.

Nice OC Pete :respect: I, like the others are hoping you going to take it a bit higher. Looks like you got to 4Ghz without breaking a sweat.
    edited December 2008
    The GPU cooler is the Thermalright TRad2. It's pretty awesome.

I'll push things higher in due time.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Looks like you got to 4Ghz without breaking a sweat.
    He puts thermal paste on his forehead - prevents sweat and allows for ease of chuffing.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    The effects of using bathroom tissue that's abrasive.

Nah, I think it is what happens when you drop the soap in prison. You get chuffed. :p

Buddy J, did you get the water cooling setup for Christmas?
    edited January 2009
    Nope. I didn't get a water cooling set for Christmas. Oh well. Guess it'll have to wait a while. I've gotta save my cash for CES next week.
    edited January 2009
    WAT NO LIKWIDS???????

For shame. I think it's time to file for emancipation from your family and supposed friends.
  • morfeumorfeu Lisbon, Portugal
    edited January 2009
    Good job dude.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Welcome back, Morfeu!
  • edited January 2009
    Buddy, I had a similar issue with my plug. I solvedit by routing it under the video card near the slot entrace. There's enough gap there for me on my rig to get the wire under there and avoid draping it over the video card and thus in the way of cooling equipment. Thought I'd give a heads up so you could possibly enjoy your other PSU.
    edited January 2009
    I wish that would have worked, but in my case, even if I tried to go in a straight line from the PSU to the plug, I'd still have been just a hair short. It's all good though. My rig is rocking despite the lower wattage PSU. When the time comes that I need the bigger unit, I'll break down and extend the cable.
  • edited January 2009
    bummer. So what have you got running for your 24/7 OC right now? What are temps like?
    edited January 2009
    Still here:
    http://icrontic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26454&d=1229283619

4GHz - 480 x 8.5

vCore is at 1.3v
    vRAM is at 1.874v
    NB is at 1.63v

Idles in the high 30s C. Loads are in the low 50s.

I've found some new settings I'd like to try one of these days when I have time to mess with the system more.

This X48 board is amazing, but the BIOS is not for the feint of heart. There's so much stuff in there that's foreign to me still. I've got a lot to learn.
  • edited January 2009
    That's very good. Did you post a 1M super Pi time yet?