ICYBOX IB350 USB2.0/SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure

2»

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    There are two versions of what he linked YAD. One is IDE and one is SATA. He didn't give us the full product code to differentiate between the two. I'm only guessing that that's what our hero is trying to do.
  • edited September 2008
    It says 3.5" sata hdd on the box. I have been in touch with hitachi and they say that it does not need to be set to master or slave (these new hdd do not need it). They suggest that i install it through bios. Now how the hell does that work? I am not very technical when it comes to the workings of a computer, I just know how to use the programmes. Any help (and diagrams) would be very much appreciated.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    "Installing through BIOS" doesn't mean anything to me; the Hitachi rep could have been confused and thought you weren't using an enclosure. Exactly what problem are you having? I'm not sure setting the drive to Master (which, if it's an SATA drive, there is no setting to be changed) is what you need to be doing.

When the drive is installed in the enclosure and you plug it in to your running computer, what happens? Are you running Windows or Mac OSX?
  • edited September 2008
    Wheni attached the icy box thru usb my laptop (windows xp pro) it loaded drivers. My hdd dows not show on My Computer but does show in Control Panel (Devices). No matter what I do it will not come up and I need to partition and format the drive for it to work. This for for running all formats of movies thru my tv. I told hitachi that their hdd was in an Icy Box enclosure. I am beginning to think that I have spent over £100 on something that is never going to work. If it is to work thru BIOS then I need to know how to do it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    legweak wrote:
    Wheni attached the icy box thru usb my laptop (windows xp pro) it loaded drivers. My hdd dows not show on My Computer but does show in Control Panel (Devices). No matter what I do it will not come up and I need to partition and format the drive for it to work. This for for running all formats of movies thru my tv. I told hitachi that their hdd was in an Icy Box enclosure. I am beginning to think that I have spent over £100 on something that is never going to work. If it is to work thru BIOS then I need to know how to do it.

What hitachi told you is wrong. There's nothing you need to do in the BIOS. Disregard all their comments on that. You said the HDD shows up in device manager... Have you initialized the disk?
  • edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    What hitachi told you is wrong. There's nothing you need to do in the BIOS. Disregard all their comments on that. You said the HDD shows up in device manager... Have you initialized the disk?

Thank you for your advice, it WORKED. My Icy Box is now up and running. I cant wait to transfer my movies. Again many thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Glad I could help. Thanks for coming to Icrontic, Legweak. :) Stick around.
  • edited November 2008
    Hi, I just bought an Icy box 351 SATA drive case with a seagate Barracuda drive and Win XP can't find it. I've tried it on another PC and exactly the same. I have an older Icy box IDE that works fine. There's no drivers on raidsonic site that are for this case. Do I need to update the motherboard drivers to get this working? Thanks.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You should not need to manually load drivers. The drivers already native to Windows. Look at posts 36 and 37 above.
  • edited February 2009
    Hey, I've had the same problem with My Computer not showing the hard drive but it shows up in devices, Disk Management says its healthy and it works in my old ibook but not a g4 or my pc. I've followed all advice from troubleshooters and i followed the advice from here to initialize it (really helpful by the way, thanks :) ) but it doesnt give me any options other than help. Is there anything i can do further to this? Thanks.
  • edited March 2009
    The same thing happened to me. You have to insert the hard disk in a computer and format it from there and then insert it back in the icy box and it should work
  • edited September 2009
    I am using the icy box ib318stus2b with a Seagate barracuda 7200.10 500GB disk and a usb connection. When I connect it to the pc (2 x Vista, 1 x XP) and it will not even be recognised (no "found new hardware" dialog appearing"). Any ideas what could be wrong?
  • edited March 2010
    My Icybox IB-351 has been working fine on my XP box with a variety of hard drives, but my Vista lap top just refuses to recognise it. Maybe I'll just dump Vista. Does anyone have any ideas please?
  • edited February 2011
    I have an icybox 351UE with usb firewire for 3.5 " non-SATA ide disks. I want a board to convert it to take SATA disks. I shouldn't need to throw the case away. Is that available?
  • hallo together,

mine asks is:? if there is also driver to windows Vista.
    please short antwort.

gruss
    bernhard
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Outlook is not good, given that their website returns nothing for the IB350 and Mike, two posts up, stated that it did not work with his Vista machine. I think it might be time to pick up a new enclosure, friend.
    primesuspect