2»

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    WinRar. love it.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I got into RAR early on because WinACE had a horribly clunky UI, and I never returned to ACE.

I never liked WinRAR's UI, but 7-Zip's isn't very good, either. I suppose it doesn't matter much either way if you're using context menus to extract, or if all you need to do is open the archive and drag a file somewhere.
    Thrax wrote:
    As ACE and ARJ are both dead formats I use WinRAR because it handles ZIP, RAR, CAB, and TAR.GZ as the lone remaining formats.

Either way, the RAR installer gives you the option to right click and hit "Extract here..." or "Extract to folder..." Combine that with broad format support, a robust client, SFX packaging and a light footprint, I'm sold.

I think 7-Zip does everything WinRAR does, but it's freeware. For compression, it looks like a plugin might be necessary for SFX, and by default it looks like only certain sizes are available for file splitting. I mainly use 7-Zip for extraction, so I don't worry about it.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    winrar
  • edited February 2009
    win-rar
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Winrar. I have WinAce installed too for some reason.
  • windie44windie44 Burbank IL
    edited March 2009
    Win Rar and 7-Zip
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I've used WinRAR in the past, but I'm not particularly fond of it for whatever reason. It feels like so many clicks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Select files, right click, "add to archive." That's too many clicks?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Or select archive, right click, "Extract here."
    edited March 2009
    I rarely if EVER save an archive where I want it to be unpacked. I have a folder for downloads and then I extract from there. So, yes, I end up having to do too many clicks.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    jzip is a free compression utility for Windows.
    jZip supports multiple popular archive formats such as Zip, RAR, 7z, ISO, TAR and GZip.
    It is fully compatible with archives created by other utilities such as WinZip, WinRar & 7-Zip.
    edited March 2009
    I rarely if EVER save an archive where I want it to be unpacked. I have a folder for downloads and then I extract from there. So, yes, I end up having to do too many clicks.

Right click -> "Extract to..." is too many clicks?
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2009
    A freebie named Quick Zip, can't remember where the hell I got it from :confused:

It works well.

Also use Foxit, much better than the huge Adobe thingie.
    edited March 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Right click -> "Extract to..." is too many clicks?

Yes, because then I have to go and find the damned place I want to extract to through a GUI or remember the damned path. I want to double click and have a sort of "OH Here's where you unpack things most times!" (DAMN YOU CHROME!) window and can select and VOILA! it does it...

Pipe dreams though...
    edited March 2009
    Psst, the extract window in WinRAR does have that.
    edited March 2009
    Maybe I'm behind the times and using an old version then...or something.