Ethernet driver problems

edited February 2009 in Science & Tech
Hi, I'm new. My name is Vik. I am an amatuer with computers so forgive me for not knowing a whole lot. The problem I am having is with my Brother in law's computer. He had so many viruses on it. He kept getting messages saying his hardware was corrupted. I reformatted it and now it works fine except I can't seem to get connected to the internet. There is no LAN icon to connect with and I don't know how to get started. I have been trying to use the Internet connection wizard but am at a loss for what to do. He has DSL. After installing the ethernet software, it prompts me to go to the system drivers and locate network adapters and update the REALTEK ethernet driver, only I can't find it. I have installed everything on the discs but it doesn't seem to work. What can I do? Thank you very much.

VIK

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Oh yeah, his computer is a hodge-podge of computers put together. A compaq CPU, dell monitor, HP printer. The software discs are dell, and I had to install them in a round about way cause the install wizard recognized that the CPU wasn't a dell. It was very lengthy! Would this matter.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Can you please open your device manager and post a screenshot of it? Expand the section I have expanded, and make sure the "unidentified devices" section is also displayed.
  • edited February 2009
    I can't because I am on my computer at home, what I can do is go to his house tomorrow with my laptop and access the internet via wireles and then type you exactly what's on his comupter. I can't connect with his, so I can't post it via his computer. I can tell you the the Ethernet driver and the 3 items located under it in the menu have giant yellow question marks. Does that help?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Yes, if you could type exactly what is said, that would help tremendously. :)
  • edited February 2009
    I will get back to you on that, thanks for the reply.
  • edited February 2009
    Friday I will be going to work on the computer. What do I need to do to post what I am seeing so that you can see it too? Also, there is nothing under network connections. I can't make one, how do I do that? I need an ISP address. Also, my BIL's computer is a compaq and he has a USB attached to the DSL modem, does that mean he doesn't have a ethernet driver? Thanks, I'll be back with more info on friday. VIK
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2009
    First off. I offer a sugguestion to the staff..

Move the New Thread link. I just clicked it twice trying to post.

Pip, for you, I recommend you plug the modem into the Ethernet port on the computer. If it doesn't work, that's because he still needs the DSL app to log into the DSL network. If he doesn't have that installed, then he ain't doin anything DSL.

Ethernet is designed for networks. USB was designed as a universal serial bus. Thus the name, USB. Universal Serial Bus. It's fair at everything, but let's not tax it with network traffic, as that can become quite large quickly. If the network driver isn't installed, I reccomend a program called UNKNOWN DEVICE. It identifies everything with PCI-ID codes. Very useful, 100% unstumpable. Use UD to find out what the card is if no driver is present, and then get it on the laptop. Shouldn't be too hard.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2009
    pip1123 wrote:
    Friday I will be going to work on the computer. What do I need to do to post what I am seeing so that you can see it too? Also, there is nothing under network connections. I can't make one, how do I do that? I need an ISP address. Also, my BIL's computer is a compaq and he has a USB attached to the DSL modem, does that mean he doesn't have a ethernet driver? Thanks, I'll be back with more info on friday. VIK

What type of modem do you have. (Example speedstream 5200)

USB dsl modems need specific drivers the driver depends on the chipset in the modem.

However If you have ethernet on your computer and modem you should use that instead as it is more reliable and preforms better.

The following below is only reliant to alcatel modems as they are the only usb adsl modems im aware of.

If you have a speedstream 5200 or something based off the same texus instruments chipset (if your in canada like I am its a pretty popular modem) you can use this driver.

If its a speedstream 4200 or something based off the same chipset you can try this driver.

If you have the speedtouch USB (green modem looks like a sting-ray usb only) try this driver

If you have the SpeedStream 6520 use this driver

If you have trouble identifying the modem from the model theres a white sticker on the bottom with the brand and model.