UAA and Server 2003 SP1

edited February 2009 in Science & Tech
Hi I have a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 mother board with AMD X2 5200 processor and I installed Server 2003 SP1 64bit. This motherboard has integrated Realtek Azalia HD Audio.

I have not been able to install the Realtek Azalia integrated soundcard. After doing alot of reading online I have come to the conclusion that you simply cannot install HD Audio that relies on UAA onto Server 2003 SP1. So if you are doing a new install with Server 2003 SP1 or SP2, you better not plan on using your audio if it relies on UAA. Here is how I have come to this conclusion:

Before you can install your HD Audio drivers, UAA has to be installed. And I cant find a way to install UAA onto Server 2003 SP1.

kb835221 installs UAA 1.0 but you cant install kb835221 onto Server 2003 SP1. this was replaced by kb888111 anyways.

kb888111 installs UAA 1.0a but you cant install kb888111 onto Server 2003 SP1.

Alot of places mention kb901105 for Server 2003 SP1. But kb901105 does not install UAA. It only fixes UAA installations that were broken when you installed SP1 onto your system that did not previously have a service pack.

So i still cant find a way to install UAA on Server 2003 SP1. And until I do, my Realtek Audio drivers are useless. Perhaps if I had access to a non-SP1 disc of Server 2003, then I coud install UAA, and then install SP1, and then install kb901105 to fix it, etc. But since I am STARTING with 2003 SP1, then there is no solution. I realize that Microsoft is not considering this a real problem because servers were not exactly meant to be playing HD Audio LOL. But I'd really like to get this running if possible and it would fix a unique situation for me.

Can anyone let me know if I am correct? Perhaps there is a way to get this working that I don't know of? Perhaps there are other HD Audio cards that I can install into a PCI slot or PCI-e slot and I will be able to install them onto Server 2003 SP1 or SP2 because they dont rely on UAA?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks for that link. :) It has alot of great information and it is explained very well. Unfortunately the scope of the article does not include Server 2003 SP1.

I think I am going to start shopping around for a HD Audio card whose audio drivers dont require UAA (if one even exists). The system is going to act as a NAS with a 3ware 9650SE-16ML card and 21TB of storage (2 LUNs, each with 10.5 TB). And if I could also get audio working on it and run MAME 64bit on it as well, then that would just be extra sweet hehehe.
    edited February 2009
    I would try the Windows XP SP3 drivers before continuing. Windows XP and Windows 2003 have identical driver architecture. Win2k3 simply has more executables suited for a server role.
  • edited February 2009
    Good point, I'll give that a try and let you know the outcome.
  • edited February 2009
    I downloaded the zip file from that article and attempted the XP SP3 method. Unfortunately when I tried to update the driver via Device Manager and pointed to the XP SP3 folder from that zip, it said that there was no compatible hardware. There were 3 .INF files in that zip (one even specifically called kb888111.inf) but the driver update service in Device Manager refused all of them.

I did contact tech support at Realtek just as a shot in the dark. I figured they were just going to tell me that installing UAA on Server 2003 SP1 was not possible. They sent me a utility called RTHDump.exe and told me to run it on my system so that they could collect specific information. I sent them the log file that it generated and I will see what they tell me.

So right now there are 3 possible solutions that may work:

1- Locate a disc of Server 2003 that does not have SP1 integrated
    2- Locate and buy a HD Audio card that doesn't rely on UAA
    3- Hope that Realtek has some sort of patch or work-around

Thanks for the link to that shopping site. If I find a card that I think will work, or if Realtek gives me a solution, I will let you guys know. :)
    edited February 2009
    Question:

Do you have the x64 version of Server 2003?
  • edited February 2009
    yep, the OS I am trying to use is Server 2003 SP1 64bit.
    edited February 2009
    Aaaah, <i>that's</i> why you're having a hell of a time. The MSKB#s you were looking at for XP x86-32. :)

You want this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dab139f1-065c-41e8-a148-9d79bd9d24f9&displaylang=en
  • edited February 2009
    alright Realtek support got back to me and told me that the problem was that I was using Datacenter edition. Previously, I had tried "Server 2003 Datacenter 64bit SP1" and Server 2003 Datacenter 64bit R2 SP1". And on both of them I was unable to install UAA.

They say that If I was using Enterprise edition, then I could install KB901105 and Id be all set. So although this goes against what I have read online, I will give it a try. Who am I to doubt Realtek support, eh? So based on that I will ditch my current install of "Server 2003 Datacenter 64bit SP1" and then install "Server 2003 Enterprise 64bit SP1". And then install KB901105. If it works, then I will upgrade it to R2 and see if the Audio lives on. Then Ill update to SP2 and see what happens. I will post my findings here.

Below is the actual email I received from them.

Hi,

We tried to check windows server 2003 that has some strange problem in DataCenter .
    This issue had been sent to Microsoft .

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 SP2 ........... No problem , (KB901105 for SP1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901105/en-us
    Windows Server 2003 R2 DataCenter x64 SP1/2 ......... HD Audio bus disappear
    Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x86 SP2 ........... No problem , (KB901105 for SP1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901105/en-us
    Windows Server 2003 R2 DataCenter x86 SP1/2 ......... HD Audio bus disappear

KB888111 : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111/en-us

Best regards,
    PC-Tech
    AT
  • edited February 2009
    oh sweet I had not noticed that there are 32bit and 64bit versions of kb901105! Thanks man I will give that 64bit version a try and let you know what happens. If It fails on my install, then I will reinstall with Enterprise edition (rather than Datacenter) as Realtek suggested and try the 64bit version of kb901105 and let you know. Thanks!
  • edited February 2009
    DOH yeah i was already trying the 64bit version of kb901105. But I did try it again anyways, and then reinstalled the latest Realtek drivers wdm_r217 but its the same thing. Just an unknown PCI device in device manager.

The problem is like I have read, unless I can install UAA 1.0 (kb835221) or UAA 1.0a (kb888111), then its going to stay an unknown PCI device. KB901105 doesnt install UAA, it just fixes UAA installations that were broken when you installed SP1 :/

Well I am still going to try Enterprise edition instead of Datacenter edition like Realtek support suggested. Im pretty sure its gonna be the same problem but ill give it a try. Ill let you know what happens....
    edited February 2009
    As a last ditch effort, this has been purported to work for XP64: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=836
  • edited February 2009
    alright so Realtek support was absolutely right!

I had installed "Server 2003 R2 Datacenter 64bit SP1" and then later installed and tried "Server 2003 Datacenter 64bit SP1" and neither of them had UAA installed, and there is no way to install it either.

But now I installed "Server 2003 Enterprise Ed. 64bit SP1" and UAA is already installed by default. Its just "broken" (has a yellow exclamation mark on it) so running the fix KB901105 fixes it. Then I installed the Realtek Audio drivers wdm_r17 and everything is recognized and installed properly!

So Server 2003 (no Service Pack) does not come with UAA installed. So you have to install UAA 1.0 with KB835221 or preferably install UAA 1.0a with KB888111. Then you will be able to install your audio drivers.

If you install Server 2003 with SP1 integrated, then UAA is already installed, but its broken. SO you just need to run the HOTFIX kb901105 to correct it. Then you can install your audio drivers.

The exception is Datacenter version of Server 2003 SP1. It does NOT have UAA installed and you will not be able to install it. So use Enterprise Edition if you want audio.

Thanks for all of your assistance Thrax! Perhaps this info will also be useful to some other server engineer trying to do unnatural things with Datacenter hehe.
  • edited February 2009
    Last update:

So inserted CD2 to install R2 and the audio remained working.
    Then I updated to SP2 and the audio is still working fine.